Watched, Watched, Watching: Saltier Things Part One

Corvinus85

I guess when I said the sports genre is weak I didn't really have combat sports in mind. I was more thinking football/basketball/soccer/baseball etc. If we're being more expansive, not only are a lot of boxing movies great, but martial arts films do get to be included in the conversation too, and Enter the Dragon and many of the films it inspired are right there with the best of them.

And for fun I'll add Talladega Nights and Rush.

51 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Imagine trying to top round 9 of fight 1 in fiction (and even if you're not a boxing fan at all I recommend, nay, urge, you to go youtube that if you've never seen it, it's insane)

I love the commentary too. Emanuel Steward sounds giddy. 

I think Friday Night Lights showed that football/sports was a fine backdrop for your standard family sitcom series.  And there are of course plenty of good sports movies, but then again plenty more bad ones, but that goes for pretty much all niche genres.  Not really sure what the argument is here.

My only hot take about sports movies is that I think Raging Bull is insanely overrated and probably my least favorite Scorsese movie.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

I think Friday Night Lights showed that football/sports was a fine backdrop for your standard family sitcom series.  And there are of course plenty of good sports movies, but then again plenty more bad ones, but that goes for pretty much all niche genres.  Not really sure what the argument is here.

My only hot take about sports movies is that I think Raging Bull is insanely overrated and probably my least favorite Scorsese movie.

Friday Night Lights wasn’t a sitcom though.

And I don’t like your Raging Bull take one bit! :tantrum:

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Remember the Titans 

I do really like this film, but learning that it's mostly BS hurts.

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Maybe saying it's insanely overrated is a bit of a take, but I don't think it holds up today for general audiences. I watched it recently and liked it a lot while recognizing it's gross. Every film student should see it. I wouldn't say the same about causal movie fans. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maybe saying it's insanely overrated is a bit of a take, but I don't think it holds up today for general audiences. I watched it recently and liked it a lot while recognizing it's gross. Every film student should see it. I wouldn't say the same about causal movie fans. 

“Casual movie fans” aren’t going to watch a 40 year old black and white film anyway. 

37 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Friday Night Lights wasn’t a sitcom though.

FNL is pretty close to the definition of a family sitcom.  Please tell me how it's significantly different than say, Modern Family, other than the length of the episodes.  Then Katims and his team went on to do Parenthood, which to me is the definition of an hour long family sitcom.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

FNL is pretty close to the definition of a family sitcom.  Please tell me how it's significantly different than say, Modern Family, other than the length of the episodes.  Then Katims and his team went on to do Parenthood, which to me is the definition of an hour long family sitcom.

Sitcom literally stands for “situational comedy.” Friday Night Lights was a drama. 

I’ve never seen those other shows to be able to compare. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Sitcom literally stands for “situational comedy.” Friday Night Lights was a drama. 

I’ve never seen those other shows to be able to compare. 

I know what sitcom stands for, thanks.  My point is there isn't much discernible difference between FNL and Modern Family, or most other family sitcoms, other than the length of the episodes.  FNL got a little too soap opera-y at times, sure, but for the most part it was eminently comparable to Modern Family, or That 70s Show, or most other family sitcoms you could come up with.

I literally didn't laugh once during FNL and watched all 5 or 6 seasons. How is it remotely a sitcom? 

Boxing films are easier to film because the sport itself is basic and most people can understand what is happening. If my wife watched an ice hockey or American Football film she wouldn't have a clue what was going on. 

Just now, DMC said:

I know what sitcom stands for, thanks.  My point is there isn't much discernible difference between FNL and Modern Family, or most other family sitcoms, other than the length of the episodes.  FNL got a little too soap opera-y at times, sure, but for the most part it was eminently comparable to Modern Family, or That 70s Show, or most other family sitcoms you could come up with.

And you know…that it wasn’t a comedy.

Like at all. I’ve watched FNL all the way through a couple times, and I remember very little humor in that show. 

Comparing it to something like That 70’s Show is absurd, and makes me question if you ever even watched it. 

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Like at all. I’ve watched FNL all the way through a couple times, and I remember very little humor in that show. 

Comparing it to something like That 70’s Show is absurd, and makes me question if you ever even watched it. 

It's one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on this board. 

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Yep, you're right.  I'm commenting on a show I've never watched at 2 in the morning because of some other ulterior motive.  JFC, my original point had nothing to do with whether or not you consider Katims' shows, both FNL and Parenthood, as comedies or dramas - and yeah, there's plenty of dumb argument to be had in that distinction --- obviously!  My original point was just that FNL demonstrated, to me, that sports and specifically high school football could work as a the background to a family "sitcom."  If you don't want me to say "sitcom" I could just as easily say "situational dramedy," but I really don't give a shit.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yep, you're right.  I'm commenting on a show I've never watched at 2 in the morning because of some other ulterior motive.  JFC, my original point had nothing to do with whether or not you consider Katims' shows, both FNL and Parenthood, as comedies or dramas - and yeah, there's plenty of dumb argument to be had in that distinction --- obviously!  My original point was just that FNL demonstrated, to me, that sports and specifically high school football could work as a the background to a family "sitcom."  If you don't want me to say "sitcom" I could just as easily say "situational dramedy," but I really don't give a shit.

I only picked nits in the first place because you bashed Raging Bull. :P

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I only picked nits in the first place because you bashed Raging Bull. :P

Well, that was what I was expecting to get attacked for!

Gotta hand it to ya you caught me off guard.

Archived