Watched, Watched, Watching: Saltier Things Part One

Corvinus85

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

HOLY SHIT! SPRINGSTEEN JUST WALKED ONTO THE STAGE!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

I've never understood watching a festival on TV. 

Though I've also never understood going in person, basically fuck festivals. 

36 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Festivals are great until you reach an age when you're not willing to use the most disgusting bathrooms imaginable. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Festivals are great until you reach an age when you're not willing to use the most disgusting bathrooms imaginable. 

It's not even that for me. It's the crowds. By the time I was 30 most of my excitement/enjoyment was killed off by being trapped in places by huge swathes of people.

I'm going to guess that I am the only one here who watches, but I have just caught up to date with Riverdale. I'll miss it when it's over but could it just be OVER soon? It's had its time and needs to end properly with the end of this season. It's just kind of sad with the main characters all being in their 20's now instead of teens. 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

It's not even that for me. It's the crowds. By the time I was 30 most of my excitement/enjoyment was killed off by being trapped in places by huge swathes of people.

I get that too, it's not an issue for me, but overall we each have certain comforts we're expecting and a festy doesn't always offer them. Out of curiosity is there a difference for you between indoor and outdoor venues? 

Has anyone here checked out The Stand miniseries? I'm four episodes in now and the show is so confusing. It bounces all over the place without a ton of explanation. 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Played at a couple back in my rock god days. So much fun!

There are festivals, and then there are festivals. Reading, for instance, is a piss-sodden hell hole. Whereas Glasto is just fucking magical.

Of course, much depends on the quality of your recreationals, but I've had some of the most amazing experiences of my life at music festivals.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I get that too, it's not an issue for me, but overall we each have certain comforts we're expecting and a festy doesn't always offer them. Out of curiosity is there a difference for you between indoor and outdoor venues? 

Has anyone here checked out The Stand miniseries? I'm four episodes in now and the show is so confusing. It bounces all over the place without a ton of explanation. 

I watched the first 1 or 2 eps and that was it.  Atrocious.  Brutally stupid pacing. 

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

but I've had some of the most amazing experiences of my life at music festivals.

Me too but like others I gotta admit I lost my taste for them around my mid-20s.

20 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Given the prices I'm going to guess the average Glastonbury attendee wasn't in their 20s or younger.

I turned it on via iPlayer and there was a massive crowd for Jamie T. I was wondering how young people would even know who he was. Then I saw the crowd and realised they weren’t that young.

Ive heard people are going for jogs at Glasto.. wtf? 

Either way, I think once you get to a certain age, just stop going to festivals and making it weird for the kids.

Depends on the kind of festival. Can't be doing with really big crowds myself, so the only ones I'd go to would ideally be full of folk music, books and Belgian beer where grey hair (or grey hair dyed green and braided) is almost compulsory. Despite having been mentally middle-aged since early childhood, I've been too young to get away with going to that kind of thing until recently. But from next year, I'm heading to that real ale tent. :hat:

But, yeah, I noticed from the Guardian article where they packed their classical music reviewer off to Glastonbury that a lot of the audience seems to be within sight of pension age. 

5 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

The Man who knew too much (rew)

my first and last hitchcock

and im back from the grave officially

Why first and last? There are too many fantastic Hitchcock films...even the lesser ones are superior to a lot of other stuff.. 

I went back and watched the rest of The Northman.  It got significantly better after he met the Norn (~30 minutes in).  Good film overall, occasionally very good and occasionally very cheesy.  Be prepared for an art house version of Vikings and don’t dwell too much on the ridiculous portrayal of religious rituals.

Then I watched 1917, which I thought was excellent.  Yes, it has shades of Saving Private Ryan redux but with less action, but the sets and cinematography were excellent, and the uninterrupted tracking of the protagonist’s journey made it feel like a personal epic, almost like the Odyssey.

It did leave me wondering how a lance corporal had a lieutenant for a brother at a time when the British army was still heavily stratified by class.  An enlisted officer would have been working class while any officer would have been middle or upper class.

5 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

The Man who knew too much (rew)

my first and last hitchcock

and im back from the grave officially

If you were only going to give Hitchcock one film as a tryout, why did you pick that one?  Why not Rear Window, Psycho, Notorious, Rebecca, North by Northwest, Vertigo, Dial M for Murder or another at least half dozen great films I could name.

6 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I went back and watched the rest of The Northman.  It got significantly better after he met the Norn (~30 minutes in).  Good film overall, occasionally very good and occasionally very cheesy.  Be prepared for an art house version of Vikings and don’t dwell too much on the ridiculous portrayal of religious rituals.

Then I watched 1917, which I thought was excellent.  Yes, it has shades of Saving Private Ryan redux but with less action, but the sets and cinematography were excellent, and the uninterrupted tracking of the protagonist’s journey made it feel like a personal epic, almost like the Odyssey.

It did leave me wondering how a lance corporal had a lieutenant for a brother at a time when the British army was still heavily stratified by class.  An enlisted officer would have been working class while any officer would have been middle or upper class.

Don't know much about the era myself, but have just come across a rather interesting Wikipedia article: Temporary Gentleman.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The funerary rituals were 100% drawn from a contemporary account of a Rus Viking funeral, and the ritual fireside dance before the raid on the Slav village is an extrapolation based on, IIRC, 7th century Germanic depictions of some sort of group ritual dance led by a figure wearing a horned helmet. 

The opening adulthood ritual is certainly entirely speculative, although the roleplay as wolves actually fits an aspect of manhood rituals in Indo-European culture that had various survivals through antiquity (the Roman Lupercalia) and into the Norse era (saga accounts of young men wearing wolf skins and living off the land). 

So, I don't know, they have some grounding in at least speculative reality, even if they may seem odd to us now. And the funeral is pretty much 100% spot on.

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

Don't know much about the era myself, but have just come across a rather interesting Wikipedia article: Temporary Gentleman.

Yes, that's the likeliest explanation -- his brother received a commission after serving as an enlisted man.

I watched Top Gun 2 for the third time in IMAX today. This film remains awesome. Really impressive how great the action, story and acting is.

Also started watching Better Call Saul's penultimate season. First episode was already great, curious to see more.

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Why first and last? There are too many fantastic Hitchcock films...even the lesser ones are superior to a lot of other stuff.. 

8 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

If you were only going to give Hitchcock one film as a tryout, why did you pick that one?  Why not Rear Window, Psycho, Notorious, Rebecca, North by Northwest, Vertigo, Dial M for Murder or another at least half dozen great films I could name.

I shoulda been more articulate, I meant that I'd watched every one of his films and that the first one was The Man who knew... and the last one (rewatched latest) too was the same. Pardon me folks

Hah, that definitely makes more sense! 

Yesterday I finally got my dad out to see Top Gun: Maverick. I'd read an early review that specifically said it was the best movie ever to take your dad to, and that stuck with me. I didn't get to see it on an iMAX alas, but we still had a ton of fun. The final action had some truly ludicrous moments, and it didn't matter. Felt like a fun 80s romp just like the original. My ~30 year crush on Jennifer Connelly continues.

Archived