US Politics: I Don't Like Mondays

16 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was just looking at my phone and an Apple news blurb popped up saying there have been 11 mass shootings in the US this weekend.

To be fair, this was a holiday weekend: Memorial Day, when we celebrate the Americans who died in wars to ensure our freedom to kill each other in schools and workplaces.

I just saw on my news feed that Michael Sussman was acquitted. I thought this was a bullshit case in the beginning. Another Trump ass kisser of a prosecutor goes down in flames.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

we celebrate the Americans who died in wars to ensure our freedom to kill each other in schools and workplaces.

It's so sad that you are so right.  :(

It is pathetic to watch the losing one term former President who lives in Florida and loves the Russian dictator attempt to distance himself from his extremist cohorts and… I have to say… kinda funny to hear their dismay as he attempts to distance himself:

A (temporary?) victory on the free speech front.

Supreme Court Blocks Texas Law Regulating Social Media Platforms (msn.com)

The court’s brief order was unsigned and gave no reasons, which is typical when the justices act on emergency applications. The order was not the last word in the case, which is pending before a federal appeals court and may return to the Supreme Court.

The vote was 5 to 4, with an unusual coalition in dissent. The court’s three most conservative members — Justices Samuel A. Alito Jr., Clarence Thomas and Neil M. Gorsuch — filed a dissent saying they would have let stand, for now at least, an appeals court order that left the law in place while the case moved forward. Justice Elena Kagan, a liberal, also said she would have let the order stand, though she did not join the dissent and gave no reasons of her own.

NRA to Hold Fundraiser at Family Estate of Missouri Democrat and Anheuser-Busch Heir Running For Senate

Trudy Busch Valentine’s former plantation, Grant’s Farm, is helping line the gun lobby’s pockets after the second-worst school shooting in U.S. history.

https://theintercept.com/2022/05/31/nra-fundraiser-trudy-busch-valentine-missouri/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=theintercept

I would have thought a state law of that type against social media companies would be all but useless even if allowed to stand. Who is the state going to prosecute if the company has no significant physical presence in the state?

The Supreme Court is dipping their collective toes into the wrong side of the voter suppression mess, as it pertains to mail in ballots.  Has to do with a sign/date issue in some obscure eastern (?) state. (This is a breaking story, I found it in a list of bulletin points, hence no link.)

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would have thought a state law of that type against social media companies would be all but useless even if allowed to stand. Who is the state going to prosecute if the company has no significant physical presence in the state?

It's effectiveness is not what's important. The motivation was just red meat. But thankfully, not fake meat grown in a "peach tree dish."

This is rather strange.  Stranger than usual… the Uvalde Police Department and the Uvalde CISD Police Department are no longer cooperating with the Texas Department of Public Safety’s investigation into the shooting.  They, reportedly stopped cooperating when the Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety stated clearly they messed up when they failed to act quickly and decisively to end the threat at Robb Elementary School.  What are these two law enforcement agencies seeking to cover up?  

Did their officers kill kids and then freak out because they killed kids?  Why else would they cease to cooperate with the State level investigation of the shooting?

https://apple.news/ACsPKyTsMTeKx-bb1c-kBRQ

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What the hell are they trying to cover up?  That’s very non-rhetorical.

That they fucked up in every way possible and nothing good has come for them from speaking? Just the cops going in and getting their own kids is so unthinkably bad.

At this point, I expect anyone and everyone connected to that department to cover up anything and everything they can.  Virtually nothing was done right during this tragedy.  The question is, whether the guilt felt by some, will it be enough to see any kind of justice done for those families who lost loved ones?

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Did their officers kill kids and then freak out because they killed kids?  Why else would they cease to cooperate with the State level investigation of the shooting?

Wouldn't go down that rabbit hole. The current story of them doing jack squat while that young gun enthusiast tried his new toy on those poor kids is bad enough. They don't feel they can salvage anything by cooperation, so they decided to stonewall the investigation, hope things wash over and that they might not lose their jobs and pensions (or find themselves in a courtroom).

That would be my interpretation. 

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wouldn't go down that rabbit hole. The current story of them doing jack squat while that young gun enthusiast tried his new toy on those poor kids is bad enough. They don't feel they can salvage anything by cooperation, so they decided to stonewall the investigation, hope things wash over and that they might not lose their jobs and pensions (or find themselves in a courtroom).

That would be my interpretation. 

They’re very obviously hiding something.  

Archived