US Politics: I Don't Like Mondays

Over and over since I joined this forum I've insisted this is another civil war, a continuation of the War of the Rebellion.  The Chairman of the Committee, Black and from Mississippi, agrees.

Oddly, nobody is wearing that ominipresent flag lapel pin that's been on everybody for the last decades.

Not to mention some cops who are heroes and who did their jobs. Unlike Uvalde's and all the others across the country.

"After all that he [tRump] has done for us" -- what did he do for Them?  Allow them to run amok against women and everybody else who isn't Them.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, first of all, the committee and its investigation has already elicited tons of new information - a lot of it they've leaked over the last year.  Second, this is like saying the 9/11 commission was worthless because it didn't affect the 2004 election.  I guess you could say the public hearings are "just for show," but it'd be even more weird - and objectionable - if they didn't have public hearings.

Idk if that comparison is fair, in part because my first thought isn't about how this will impact the next election. And I would argue a lot of this is for show in part because so much of this is old news and they're just rebroadcasting it in primetime long after the public has largely moved on from it. Sure it's a good thing we're having public hearings, but what does it say about our country when the public doesn't give a shit? 

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, first of all, the committee and its investigation has already elicited tons of new information - a lot of it they've leaked over the last year.  Second, this is like saying the 9/11 commission was worthless because it didn't affect the 2004 election.  I guess you could say the public hearings are "just for show," but it'd be even more weird - and objectionable - if they didn't have public hearings.

What I have been thinking about more and more lately are the petitions or court cases to have key GOP figures tied to the January 6th event forbidden to run for office because of 'seditious activity' per that old post civil war law. Maybe, just maybe a few of these petitions/court cases will make enough headway to succeed as a result of these hearings.

Posting the video presented this evening for those who haven't seen it yet [you can only watch it on YouTube because kids aren't allowed to know I guess le lulz] 

Much sharper than I was expecting.

12 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

What I have been thinking about more and more lately are the petitions or court cases to have key GOP figures tied to the January 6th event forbidden to run for office because of 'seditious activity' per that old post civil war law. Maybe, just maybe a few of these petitions/court cases will make enough headway to succeed as a result of these hearings.

I would agree if there wasn't an extremist SCOTUS... 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sure it's a good thing we're having public hearings, but what does it say about our country when the public doesn't give a shit? 

And this is the committee's fault?

Those witnesses who testified live on multiple television-online access venues: they are courageous -- unlike Uvalde cops.  They and their families are targets in the cross hairs and they know it.  Already their sorts have been targeted, and some have been killed, like the judge in Wisconsin.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

And this is the committee's fault?

I do wonder if they could have had a greater impact if they acted more quickly (assuming that was possible). Jan 6th is yesterday's news to the average American and they probably don't want to hear about it anymore.

I agree the impact would probably be greater if less time had passed. Let's not forget they took about half a year to even form the committee. (Probably not the committee's fault, but firmly in the Dem leadership camp...)

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I do wonder if they could have had a greater impact if they acted more quickly (assuming that was possible). Jan 6th is yesterday's news to the average American and they probably don't want to hear about it anymore.

This is a really pointless complaint.  Obviously an investigation which entailed interviewing over a thousand witnesses and reviewing hundreds of thousands of documents was going to take time - indeed about a year.  And after a year, you could always complain about it being "too late."

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is a really pointless complaint.  Obviously an investigation which entailed interviewing over a thousand witnesses and reviewing hundreds of thousands of documents was going to take time - indeed about a year.  And after a year, you could always complain about it being "too late."

And yet what we know today isn't all that different from what could have been rolled out a few months after the fact. Waiting a year and a half let most people off, not ensured their accountability. Who really cares if this caused a few more small fish to be caught while the principle actor is going to 100% completely skate.

Okay...while I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic about how these hearings move the needle in a positive manner...right now I read Ty's cynicism and lack of faith and all I'm seeing is Randy Quaid's bleacher bum from Major League 2...

If it turns out some of those big fish do see a courtroom and jail time...he'll be absolutely turning around and cheering...

:P

Archived