US Politics: I Don't Like Mondays

I'm surprised that Jared's remarks about being busy handing out pardons to congressmen (while staffers were threatening to resign, aka "whining," (pretentious little shit) doesn't get more traction.

@Zorral I don't see many different people complaining.

I maintain that the committee could have been assembled earlier and any day saved would have counted (I don't see a threshold that after a year, it's all the same anyway, as one poster suggested)

Other than that, the programming really sucks for me (beginning at 2 am), but I know I'm not the targeted audience!

22 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I don't see many different people complaining.

Well, here they are, in this forum, all over the media, and among a lot of people whom I talk to regularly.  :read:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The January 6 Hearings Could Change Republican Minds
If Fox News actually aired them By David French

https://newsletters.theatlantic.com/the-third-rail/62a3496595033600218a4dbb/january-6-committee-hearings-trump-republicans/

.... I joined him in lamenting general political deception, and then asked him what he thought of Trump’s lies. “What do you mean?” he responded, in all sincerity. He genuinely did not perceive Trump as dishonest. Even now. In 2022.

I’ve had a version of that exact conversation over and over again for more than six years. I live in a deep-red part of America. According to the New York Times neighborhood political calculator, only 15 percent of my neighbors are Democrats. That’s one reason why I laugh when Beltway Republicans and Acela-corridor conservatives purport to explain Trump’s appeal to me. They’re “explaining” the actions of my best friends, my neighbors, and many, many members of my family.

I understand it all. Perfectly well. But understanding does not necessitate agreement.
Here’s one thing I understand—one thing that’s directly relevant to the prime-time hearings about January 6: Rank-and-file Republicans are shockingly ignorant of Trump’s misdeeds. It is simply not the case that they understand everything that Trump has done and support him anyway. They have far, far more knowledge of Democratic misconduct and media malfeasance than they have of anything Trump has done.

This truth applies to every single one of the worst moments of Trump’s campaigns and his presidency. The average Republican has a completely different knowledge base about Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, the Ukraine impeachment, the election contest, and January 6, and while there are some people (especially on Twitter) who do know everything and either love Trump anyway or love Trump because of his misdeeds, that is not the dominant mindset.

As I’ve told countless progressive friends, if you trust or use mainly right-leaning media, you’d have a different view of Trump as well. You’d live with a perpetual, exaggerated view of the threat from the left at the same time that you’d be bombarded with the extended, passionate defenses of Trump and his supporters. Taken together, that means your average Republican believes that Democrats are worse than they really are, and that Trump is better than he really is. ....

5 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Not satire, but apparently posted by the orange one on lies social (which, btw, is banning people who posted jan 6 hearings updates):

Her Daddy wis so mad!  But Ivanka never cared, her hubby is a real billionaire 2 times over, unlike Daddy.   

20 mio viewers.

I assume that's without all the social media channels streaming it, like MeidasTouch, many political pundits etc. (I watched via one of these. Probably no analog sources from outside the US)

We started on C-Span, and moved to Independent for hearing. Streaming online, natch.

-----------

We have a primary this month.  For the first time ever, a campaign worker buzzed our apartment, identifying himself and his candidate and asking if he could give us a brochure and / or talk about him.  I admit to being very impressed.  The candidate is running against the long-time District rep, who is not young and a woman, and Jewish. This challenger is young, White, and male.  He says it's time for DG to go -- we don't want a Maxine Waters or RBG situation here, do we? I need to know a lot more about this guy, who is taking a page out of Chris Martz' campaign playbook.  The difference is that I immediately responded very favorably to CM's personal outreach, as himself, and via his diverse young campaign workers. This time, I viscerally responded with skepticism and dislike.  It could be just this guy.  But I don't even like the photo of the candidate.  

I do highly applaud the personal outreach -- we need this from every candidate.  

1 hour ago, JGP said:

Fuck man

Anyone else see all the excuses Pete Arredondo has… he didn’t think he was in command… he didn’t bring his radio because he thought he needed both hands for his gun… he couldn’t find the right key… 19 kids and 2 teachers weren’t his fault… [he wasn’t even supposed to work that day!]

:(

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

20 mio viewers.

I assume that's without all the social media channels streaming it, like MeidasTouch, many political pundits etc. (I watched via one of these. Probably no analog sources from outside the US)

They need to make clever Tiktok clips of it like with the Depp-Heard trial. That will make America pay attention.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My frustration is that… upon a time McBigski and I were much closer politically.  I don’t understand how he sees no problem with the actions of the losing one term former President who lives in Florida and loves the Russian dictator.

A case of “more money for myself over what is right” Perhaps?

There seems to be a section of Republican voters that is perfectly aware that the majority of things the Republican Party is currently doing are morally wrong.

But so long as they believe the Republicans will continue to increase their wealth, (tax breaks for the rich) they just don’t give a shit. 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No… but that was precisely what was going through my mind… hence the brackets.

Well,  I guess we can conclude that the exact opposite of I was just following orders is an equally pathetic excuse. 

We're all clowning on the Trumps for the Ivanka thing, but don't forget that her motivation here is almost certainly that she intends to play the Marine Le Pen to her father's Jean-Marie: the more reasonable, more palatable, more electorally acceptable version of the firebrand father. Expect to be lectured about why you should be voting for Ivanka as a feminist in a few short years.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

We're all clowning on the Trumps for the Ivanka thing, but don't forget that her motivation here is almost certainly that she intends to play the Marine Le Pen to her father's Jean-Marie: the more reasonable, more palatable, more electorally acceptable version of the firebrand father. Expect to be lectured about why you should be voting for Ivanka as a feminist in a few short years.

Meh, comparing the Trumps to the Le Pens is intuitive but not particularly compelling as a cautionary tale.  I'd take Ivanka over virtually all other plausible successors to "Trumpism," including of course her brother.  Frankly her becoming the standard-bearer would represent an encouraging shift to the likes of DeSantis, Hawley, Cruz, etc.  I'd also say the more apt comparison for Ivanka isn't Marine but Marion. 

Anyway, if nepotism means she'd be new Lady of the Flies rather than the alternatives, I'd take it.  Problem is the crazy right will probably never be alright with that for the same reasons I'm fine with it.

Wow. Except for the fact that they are somewhat coherent and don't say ALL of the stuff out loud that you shouldn't, I see no difference between Trump and the likes of DeSantis, Hawley, Cruz et al.

And Ivanka is full of shit, but I somehow doubt she'd get elected, or crowned/ anointed by the base, whatever it is they will be doing for the "elections" after 2024.

I still think F*cker C. is waiting for his chance. Now, HE will outfascist all of them.

Archived