US Politics: I Don't Like Mondays

23 minutes ago, maarsen said:

The article Zorral posted earlier about the homosexual mafia in DC specifically mention Ronnie.

.....still not sure what you mean or which one you're referring to with "Ronnie."  That New Yorker piece refers to the Reagan campaign/administration, sure, but that's it as far as I can tell from a quick glimpse.  If you're referring to Nancy's son, he's 64 years old, let's just call him Ron as he prefers.

It is really common within the gay community itself for people to accuse any public figure who has supported anti-GLBT policies of being gay themselves. There have of course been several cases in history of extremely anti-gay politicians or preachers later being caught in same-sex sexual behavior, and this has led to a sort of reverse logic that assumes that because the motive of some extreme anti-gay persons is projection of their own self-hatred, this must be the motive for all anti-gay persons. So although I don't believe it's true, I am sure that there are many people out there who automatically assume Ronald Reagan, Jerry Falwell, Ron DeSantis, etc. must be gay (or at least bi) themselves because of their anti-gay public images. 

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

So although I don't believe it's true, I am sure that there are many people out there who automatically assume Ronald Reagan, Jerry Falwell, Ron DeSantis, etc. must be gay (or at least bi) themselves because of their anti-gay public images. 

This may be unfair, but I'd call this the Bill Maher way of thinking.  Which should be avoided.

Holy Shit!

Peter Navarro Indicted for Contempt of Congress

Two Charges Filed for Defaulting on House Subpoena From Select Committee Investigating Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

WASHINGTON – Former White House advisor Peter K. Navarro has been indicted by a federal grand jury on two counts of contempt of Congress stemming from his failure to comply with a subpoena issued by the House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 breach of the United States Capitol.

Here.

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Speaking of the Worst Family*, Jill Biden has chosen pride month to unveil plans for a Nancy Reagan commemorative stamp. The Bidens’ collective tone deafness never ceases to be amazing.

In this case, I will make an extreme guess, based on the Bidens continuing to hold on to the Olden Daze of playing politics, that by giving some honor to the beloved RR icon they can gain some goodwill politically / voting-wise, for Dems and their programs from what they naively still believe is the Real GOP.  Even though those politics are over.

They cannot internalize and replace that idea of actually well-meaning, if misguided GOP with the reality that it DOES NOT EXIST and has not existed for some decades already, and by now has morphed into full-blown anti-democratic, full out white male xitian nationalist one man authoritarian rule -- which will then get rid of everybody non-white and non-male, and non straight and thus save the world for white men, whose right it is to do whatever they want whenever they want to whomever they want and nobody will say no or criticize.

* Tone deaf in these matters the Bidens are, but they are by no means the Worst Family. Not by far, far, far.  Alas.  In fact, as a family, they are quite lovely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re Navarro -- what will this actually do?  He likely shall continue lalalalaing I've got beans in my ears, refusing to testify.  He can be fined, assets seized if he doesn't pay the fines for defying the subpoena, but that is only if Somebody actually enforces those rules. Which so far doesn't seem to happen much.  See: el tRumpo.

What????? The only use of tasers at Robb Elementary was the cops tasing parents who were trying to go into the school and take out the shooter and rescue their kids.  So what the fuck good is this?
Guns the answer to guns, the only answer to gun killing, the idiocy gift that keeps giving.

US shootings: Firm unveils plans for Taser-armed drones

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61685117

The US company behind Tasers plans to produce stun gun-armed drones it claims will help stop school shootings.

The Arizona-based company, Axon, says that the high-tech solution is necessary amid a "fruitless" debate on gun policy in the US.

Woooo!  

Here's more information, that includes the information that George Soros is part of the investment group.

https://www.wlrn.org/news/2022-06-03/a-new-latino-media-group-is-buying-up-and-shaking-up-spanish-language-radio

Of course if reichwhitewingers had bought these stations Univision seems tired of, this wouldn't be news, would it/

23 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Woooo!  

Here's more information, that includes the information that George Soros is part of the investment group.

First thing I was going to say is that I hope it breaks up the stranglehold that hardliners have on Radio Mambí ... and then, don't you know, it's named explicitly as one of the stations being sold off to the group. Nice!

I do hope they are thoughtful and careful about how they approach changing the station's culture and political orientation. You can't just flip a switch and turn it into a liberally-slanted station, not and keep the listerners. It should be more like the the proverbial frog in the pot -- slowly start changing things, starting by clearing away the gross misinformation Radio Mambí would peddle.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

I do hope they are thoughtful and careful about how they approach changing the station's culture and political orientation. You can't just flip a switch and turn it into a liberally-slanted station, not and keep the listerners. It should be more like the the proverbial frog in the pot -- slowly start changing things, starting by clearing away the gross misinformation Radio Mambí would peddle.

My initial thoughts exactly. :cheers:

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Re Navarro -- what will this actually do?  He likely shall continue lalalalaing I've got beans in my ears, refusing to testify.  He can be fined, assets seized if he doesn't pay the fines for defying the subpoena, but that is only if Somebody actually enforces those rules. Which so far doesn't seem to happen much.

I mean, the DOJ picking up the referral and indicting Navarro is enforcing the rules.  Thus far the DOJ is 2 for 4 - Navarro and Bannon indicted, Meadows and Scavino TBD.

But what happens if they're indicted?  Anything?  I mean people are still running for office and being elected after being convicted of criminal behavior it seems.

Though, election fraud does seem to have derailed 3 jerkwaddies who were declaring runs for governor of Michigan.  I believe they were running on putting the current governor in jail, or maybe executing her, and fair, honest election, no voter fraud.

Confirmed, what we all knew, except evidently, the Mainers who keep voting for this dumbster -- Susan Collins is not bright, and, "a cheap date."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/abortion-susan-collins-brett-kavanaugh-trump-roe-1357183/

.... Turns out, Collins wasn’t just wrong about Kavanaugh. She was deliberately manipulated by Trump administration officials — and a future Supreme Court Justice — who viewed her as an easy mark.

Two former senior Trump White House officials tell Rolling Stone that the pro-choice Collins wasn’t even considered a serious threat to the devoutly conservative Kavanaugh. Instead, the team predicted she’d need only a vague assurance that the nominee would uphold the half-century-old ruling defending abortion rights

Some administration officials who worked on the Kavanaugh confirmation privately mocked Collins and her public posturing over Roe, the sources recalled, often with crass language such as calling her a “cheap date.” ....

The only other explanation is that she knew exactly what was going on with these guys because she does the same thing -- she too does want Roe overturned, and probably is antagonistic to the very idea of abortion -- unless it were herself or her daughter who need one.  She whistles the same tune to the voters in Maine that Kavanaugh etc. whistle.

If the explanation is that she is not at all bright, easily manipulated, then the voters in Maine are even less bright and more easily manipulated since she is the one doing the manipulation.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

But what happens if they're indicted?  Anything?  I mean people are still running for office and being elected after being convicted of criminal behavior it seems.

Well yeah, the criminal penalties for contempt of congress are close to nil.  We've discussed that before.  That's not the DOJ's fault.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Well yeah, the criminal penalties for contempt of congress are close to nil.  We've discussed that before.  That's not the DOJ's fault.

Who said it was?  It's the fault of the reps and sens, yes?  SCOTUS, appellate court justices, and so on?  

Or not?

Genuinely asking.

Archived