Star Warsing Across the Universe

IlyaP

25 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

how's Obi-Wan Kenobi: The Show? 

Solid start.  For those who've seen it...

Spoiler

So, do you think the Grand Inquisitor is actually dead?  If so, that's quite the retcon..unless the next Grand Inquisitor looks exactly like him.  Maybe they'll do a Landfill thing from Beerfest.

ETA:  ...Oh, yeah, and Obi-Wan not knowing Anakin was alive for TEN YEARS.  That's...something.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Solid start.  For those who've seen it...

Hide contents

So, do you think the Grand Inquisitor is actually dead?  If so, that's quite the retcon..unless the next Grand Inquisitor looks exactly like him.  Maybe they'll do a Landfill thing from Beerfest.

ETA:  ...Oh, yeah, and Obi-Wan not knowing Anakin was alive for TEN YEARS.  That's...something.

Some of the visuals are weirdly below the current standards. Like the scenes where he rides that camel thing in the desert look unfinished. But the story is interesting so far.

Spoiler

I don't think the Grand Inquisitor is dead and I don't know why they went there. I suppose just to show how unhinged 3rd Sister is.

Little Leia stole the show so far. Uncle Owen defying the 3rd Sister was another highlight. Gives Owen some depth; maybe that's why he and his wife died, they defied the Stormtroopers when they came looking for the droids.

ETA: My question is how does 3rd Sister know Vader was Anakin?

The first two episodes were pretty strong. Flea as a hardbitten mercenary was quite amusing.

Spoiler

The "clone veteran" cameo from Temeura Morrison was pretty good as well. Seeing Threepio again was entertaining, and Alderaan in all its pre-obliteration pomp is cool.

I'm seeing some dislike out there for sassy kid Leia, but I think she was fine, and it makes a bit more sense that she trusts so much in Obi-Wan later on. If they spend all six episodes together it might make it harder to swallow that it doesn't come up later on, but if they split up relatively soon, that'd make more sense.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Some of the visuals are weirdly below the current standards. Like the scenes where he rides that camel thing in the desert look unfinished. But the story is interesting so far.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think the Grand Inquisitor is dead and I don't know why they went there. I suppose just to show how unhinged 3rd Sister is.

Little Leia stole the show so far. Uncle Owen defying the 3rd Sister was another highlight. Gives Owen some depth; maybe that's why he and his wife died, they defied the Stormtroopers when they came looking for the droids.

The current theory is:

Spoiler

Third Sister was one of the Younglings at the start of the first episode, or maybe the Padawan training them, and so she saw or was aware of Anakin storming through the place at the same time.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The first two episodes were pretty strong. Flea as a hardbitten mercenary was quite amusing.

Hide contents

The "clone veteran" cameo from Temeura Morrison was pretty good as well. Seeing Threepio again was entertaining, and Alderaan in all its pre-obliteration pomp is cool.

I'm seeing some dislike out there for sassy kid Leia, but I think she was fine, and it makes a bit more sense that she trusts so much in Obi-Wan later on. If they spend all six episodes together it might make it harder to swallow that it doesn't come up later on, but if they split up relatively soon, that'd make more sense.

The current theory is:

Hide contents

Third Sister was one of the Younglings at the start of the first episode, or maybe the Padawan training them, and so she saw or was aware of Anakin storming through the place at the same time.

Spoiler

Third Sister would have to be one of the younglings.  The Padewan looked Asian when I watched that scene again.

28 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

The current theory is:

Hide contents

That was my theory too, but

Spoiler

No way is she older than maybe 17. The actress doesn't look that young.

Obi-Wan knew Anakin turned into Vader, too, but then he believed he had died on Mustafar. Did the Emperor allow the info that cyborg Vader is Anakin to leak to his subordinates?

I wonder if Vader personally groomed 3rd Sister behind the Grand Inquisitor's back for this mission, since she keeps saying how he wants Obi-Wan. And maybe that's why she was so comfortable to use Anakin's name.

I think maybe 2 episodes is enough for me to get a rough idea of the quality of this show. And I don't think it's very good. 

• This feels like it has a heavy Disney influence, in that i can't tell if they are scared to alienate kids from the audience? It has a very odd contrast between its darker grittier moments and setting, and the lighter, childish bits. Does this show know what it is? It has moments with Jedi's being strung up, bounty hunters sliced with light sabers, then really silly comedic bits with fake Jedis and 'aww isn't she cute' Curly Sue moments with young Leia. None of it really fits together especially well, and I have to say I didn't like the lighter bits at all, they felt over used and boring.

• The effects are really patchy. I kind of wonder if there is savings for Disney if they just set a lot of shows on Tatooine, because those scenes mostly looked ok.. but there were lots of moments that looked very shoddy. Obi Wan's cave looks like its made of cardboard, quite clearly. Also, like almost all Marvel / Star Wars shows, it has a problem in that most scenes are really obviously shot in a small warehouse somewhere. Mandalorian seems to avoid this look (because of the projected backgrounds?) but so many other shows look so bad.

• Maybe I just wanted something darker and sadder, but I really did not like all the princess Leia stuff. Half the first episode was just her, and I didn't find it interesting. Watching her get up to high jinx is not what I came into this show to see, which makes me wonder is this a show for adults? Precocious young kids are annoying as it is (see Anakin TPM) and while she's not that bad, it could end up being that irritating quite quickly. To be fair, annoying and smart mouthed is probably what a young Leia would be, but it doesn't mean I really want to see it.

I also think I just wanted to see more of sad Obi Wan living his life on a desert planet and trying to be a proper hermit. That might have been quite boring to a lot of people, but as an exploration of his character, i'd be more interested in that, than whatever crazy adventure he's going on now. I also wonder how he goes back to being a sad hermit when this show is done.

• The Grand Inquisitor looked like they borrowed him from Doctor Who.

• Owen was good. 

22 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I felt like all of the Inquisitors were dreadful.. she was not especially compelling though.

I thought Rupert Grint did a good job as the Grand Inquisitor. But yeah I'm not that impressed with Third Sister either.

48 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I thought Rupert Grint did a good job as the Grand Inquisitor. But yeah I'm not that impressed with Third Sister either.

Ron has really let himself go! Not the type of friend I was expecting at all.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

I thought she was damn good for a child actor.  And I enjoyed Obi-Wan meeting her and didn't think it was too "kiddy."  That being said, I was kinda hoping that was the last we saw of her in the series.  Like, what else do they have to do with her, at least in relation to Obi-Wan?  But, according to her imdb page, she's in all six episodes.

On Leia knowing Obi-Wan later on, she still only knows her rescuer as "Ben," right?  So she's basically in Luke's boat at this point - except she understands he's an actual Jedi instead of an old wizard.

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Alright, can someone explain to me exactly why Palpatine and/or Anakin would have any reason to keep Vader's identity a secret?  Are they worried Padme's parents are going to file a wrongful death suit?  You could say they don't want people to know Vader used to be a jedi but, ya know, the inquisitors are former jedis too.

The obvious reason would be they don't want Yoda and/or Obi-Wan to know he's still alive, but again, why?  Hell, wouldn't that make Palpatine seem more vulnerable, encouraging Yoda and/or Obi-Wan to attack?  Maybe that's it..it's a trap!  Just seems kinda silly.

Further, does this mean "Darth Vader" isn't a public figure for the first ten years of the empire?  Because if he is, both Yoda and Obi-Wan would immediately assume Vader is Anakin (as demonstrated by Obi-Wan's reaction when Third Sister tells him).  So if he's not a public figure, what the hell has he been doing for ten years?  Secretly training and commanding the inquisitors?

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Lol. What's his name, Rupert something.

Rupert Friend. :) 

(to be fair, I could totally see Ron being under all that make up)

Pretty much enjoyed the first two episodes so far. For me, there was no letdown but

Spoiler

the weirdo idea that Obi-Wan doesn't know Vader is alive. That would only make sense if the man was a complete shadow figure for the first decade of the Empire ... and while they could technically go with this it feels just wrong. ROTS made it clear Obi-Wan knew Anakin's Sith name, so if talk about a Darth Vader - and a Darth Vader in a weirdo suit at that - were to spread then Obi-Wan would know.

It is kind of ridiculous to know folks on Tatooine know about Imperial Inquisitors but apparently not about Darth Vader.

It could have worked better if this was, say, only five or three years after ROTS, but even then it would have been a stretch.

I greatly enjoyed the Alderaan stuff and little Leia. This is something I wanted to see for a long time. Leia's upringing and deeds prior to ANH is something the old EU barely developed despite the fact that there is a lot of story potential there. I hope they end making a successor show focusing more on her. After all, we can assume that the result of her little adventure there will be that Bail starts to include her more in his political machinations, allowing her to see more of the larger world, etc.

McGregor also plays broken Ben very well - see, this is something that makes sense, unlike broken Luke in the ST. Obi-Wan has every reason to feel like a complete loser and failure, unlike Luke.

That said - did anybody else get the awkward feeling that knowing how the ST treats Luke and Leia that all that nonsense about them being the hope for a better future and stuff is pointless since neither will actually create a better future nor succeed in the end?

Other stuff:

Spoiler

About Leia and Ben: Even if she were to learn that the guy is Obi-Wan Kenobi, there is no reason why this should come up in ANH. They do not interact there and Leia's message to Obi-Wan is pretty brief. But I'd still go with Leia only knowing Obi-Wan as Ben.

The Grand Inquisitor is most likely not dead. His successor cannot possibly be another guy looking like the guy from Rebels.

As for why the Third Sister knows about Vader's true identity - he may have just told her and the other Inquisitors. This thing doesn't have to be the best kept secret in the galaxy.

Archived