Star Warsing Across the Universe

IlyaP

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned my favorite scene.  Ben telling Leia he wishes he could tell her that he’s her father and then going on about how he was taken from his parents and he thinks he had a brother.

Really enjoyed that and thought MacGregor delivered it well (as usual).

I really liked that scene as well, along with Leia asking if he was her real father.

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Well he has become an uncivilised blaster user.

Takes a while to get the force juices flowing again I guess.

"Eye of the Tiger", Rock. "Eye of the Tiger".

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned my favorite scene.  Ben telling Leia he wishes he could tell her that he’s her father and then going on about how he was taken from his parents and he thinks he had a brother.

Really enjoyed that and thought MacGregor delivered it well (as usual).

That was cool. I wonder if he's ever going to mention Satine. 

4 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

Yeah, between this and the Rebels scene where Obi-Wan kills Maul (allegedly) Obi-Wan has to get a lot of his power back. He's definitely not in that place now, not remotely. 

I gather we may have, at the least, a Qui-Gon voice over cameo near the very end as Obi-Wan finally figures out Yoda's telephone lesson, ten years after he was taught it...

Improving on something that was pretty meh is faint praise. That was more enjoyable, but it's still not very good. As pointed out by others, the fire scene went from awesome to ruining the episode for me. Just like wtf...

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I gather we may have, at the least, a Qui-Gon voice over cameo near the very end as Obi-Wan finally figures out Yoda's telephone lesson, ten years after he was taught it...

I dunno, if I was The Decider I'd have Obi-Wan regain his faith (and subsequently power) all on his own.  Then in maybe an end credits scene have Ghost Neeson show up and say something to the effect of "now you understand what needs to be done."

7 hours ago, sifth said:

I really liked that scene as well, along with Leia asking if he was her real father.

Yeah that was probably the moment that made me think ‘oh this could be quite good if it was just this’

I have to admit I wasn’t paying a lot of attention to the stuff at the end of the episode , probably a sign that it got bad, but yes the Vader fight was not good and one issue I have with the show is that Obi Wan just doesn’t seem very clever or competent. 

I like the idea of Obi Wan being blindsided by Vader’s strength, he only learnt he was still alive hours ago, and seems very rusty with the force. The actual motivations in play should make for a great encounter, but it was just the staging and direction seemed so strange. I thought initially he’d be seeing things, as he did earlier with the cloaked Anakin. But the first few scenes were basically “oh shit, there’s Vader! I’ll … run over there”. And then it’d happen again. He kept just running away to a different mound. 

Also, a reminder that this is how fast Obi Wan can go.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I like the idea of Obi Wan being blindsided by Vader’s strength, he only learnt he was still alive hours ago, and seems very rusty with the force. The actual motivations in play should make for a great encounter, but it was just the staging and direction seemed so strange. I thought initially he’d be seeing things, as he did earlier with the cloaked Anakin. But the first few scenes were basically “oh shit, there’s Vader! I’ll … run over there”. And then it’d happen again. He kept just running away to a different mound. 

The final fight was set in the trope-ish low budget quarry set. But at least they kept in the dark to keep the tension high. Some of the episode was specifically written that way, by making the planet a strip mine operation to begin with.

16 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If, and when, there is a second confrontation between Obi-Wan and Vader in the remaining three episodes...when Obi-Wan bests him, he needs to leave Vader with a quip, "You still have much to learn, Anakin..." or something like that and then the line in ANH makes sense again!  :P

Kenobi beats down Vader in rematch. 

Kenobi: Who's teh master??

Vader: Sho nuff?

14 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

Given my fanboi reaction to this ep I think really they should just make a Vader show about him going around during this period and fucking things up. Doing more Jedi hunting, messing with imp officers, taking very scary looking baths, talking down to subordinates, randomly wandering through villages and killing people because it's a day ending in Y. 

Apparently the Vader comic is really good. As I'm too old and impatient (and cheap) to buy/read/wait for the comics, they should consider just adapting them for Disney+. If nothing else, the last episode showed that they're not above having Vader do awful things on a Disney channel. 

I loved how he just walked down the street, hardly pausing to force choke, drag, or just neck snap whoever caught his eye.

I also loved the terror in Kenobi's eyes at what Anakin had become. Ewan sold it. The chase aside (below) I liked the parallel with Vader taunting Luke in Empire with this "duel". You can almost see Vader being shocked how far Kenobi had fallen. He was putting no effort into defeating him. A cat with a lame mouse.

Like Kal, I'm choosing to ignore the bothersome little things that are likely just a result of production constraints (ie travel times, the impassible gate that only barely covers the road, Kenobi running around in the open dunes to get ambushed by a dude who can barely walk past a trot, fire barrier suddenly preventing Vader from pulling Kenobi back, etc)

ETA: This is what Vader should've done when the fire sprang up.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

No idea how to get rid of this quote window on a phone browser. 

Anyway, one thing this episode made me wonder is how Vader deals with his visor eye thingies when they fog up. Does he Force Dry his vision holes? Keep a healthy amount of tissues in his utility belt? Sit down and wait for it to go away? 

Also, does this show only have 4 suits of stormtrooper armor? 4 troopers hitching a ride, 4 at the gate, and i believe 4 in the transport that shows up. 

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

But the first few scenes were basically “oh shit, there’s Vader! I’ll … run over there”. And then it’d happen again. He kept just running away to a different mound. 

I think that was the entire point.  I thought this Ringer recap was apt in comparing the "fight" to the Vader/Luke "fight" in Empire.  They did a great job building up and leaning into the horror element the entire sequence - that Obi-Wan was consumed by fear.  The only thing he cares about is drawing Vader away from Leia in that moment.  He just realized Anakin was alive and now is confronted with what he became -- and what Obi-Wan created.  Having the ultimate lightsaber duel 2.0 obviously isn't on his mind, even if he was as capable as he used to be.

Which raises the interesting juxtaposition that both times now we've seen him encounter Vader (or more accurately machine Vader), he basically refuses to fight him.  Like most others I suspect that will change in the last three episodes, but frankly I wouldn't mind if it stayed that way.

19 minutes ago, Relic said:

No idea how to get rid of this quote window on a phone browser. 

Anyway, one thing this episode made me wonder is how Vader deals with his visor eye thingies when they fog up. Does he Force Dry his vision holes? Keep a healthy amount of tissues in his utility belt? Sit down and wait for it to go away? 

Also, does this show only have 4 suits of stormtrooper armor? 4 troopers hitching a ride, 4 at the gate, and i believe 4 in the transport that shows up. 

Vader's suit has an array of environmental controls.

We saw more Stormtroopers at the Inquisitor fortress as well as last episode. Maybe they just have 4 "dirty" suits. The Mandalorian used the 501st fan group at times for extras. I would not be surprised if they got called again.

Episode 3 had some nice moments but can't say I'm enjoying the series overall.

Ewan really sold Obi-Wan's reaction to Vader and I felt his horror and despair, but the whole confrontation was ruined by the fact that Vader's identity had already been revealed to Obi-Wan by a completely insignificant (and truly annoying) character in an anti-climactic and badly written scene.

It would have been so much more impactful if it had been revealed by Vader during their confrontation.

Not to mention it makes no sense how Obi-Wan escaped. Vader tells his stormtroopers to go fetch him when he could just force pull him like he was already doing?

I'm not digging this whole "The Adventures of Obi-Wan and Young Leia" thing either, although I did like the moment where she asked him about her father, but it's reminding me a lot of Jake Lloyd in TPM.

I guess the writers feel they don't have to put as much thought into the plotting because it's Star Wars, even though the original trilogy was tightly plotted and even the prequels had better plotting than this.

I see this series as a massive wasted opportunity and it's killed my enthusiasm for Disney Star Wars. I'll still watch Mandalorian season 3 but if the Boba Fett finale is anything to go by then it'll go downhill fast. Mandalorian season 1 and 2 was a New Hope but the Disney Empire has Struck Back.

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

Episode 3 had some nice moments but can't say I'm enjoying the series overall.

That's exctly how I feel.  There are good moments sprinkled throughout this series, but I'm not really enjoying the series as a whole. 

The Inquisitors have fallen flat for me as villains.  They range from being fairly unmenacing (grand inquisitor and the other two) to over the top menacing (Reva).  

And while I like the actress that plays Leia, she's been involved (through no fault of her own, only the directors) in two of the silliest chase scenes that I've seen in a while.  

The Obi Wan Darth Vader scene fell flat for me as well.  And it involved another ridiculous "chase" scene where Obi Wan tried to run from, hide from Vader, only to run into Vader, I don't know it was all very confusing.

I've enjoyed Ewan's performance, and I've enjoyed Jimmy Smits' performance.  Everyone else falls on the meh scale for me.

1 minute ago, Frey family reunion said:

The Inquisitors have fallen flat for me as villains.  They range from being fairly unmenacing (grand inquisitor and the other two) to over the top menacing (Reva).  

The inquisitors have indeed been a grand disappointment.

Archived