Star Warsing Across the Universe

IlyaP

38 minutes ago, mormont said:

Worth reminding folks again that this was a movie, originally. That could explain the repetitive plotting and thin characterisation: the movie script outline is being scraped over seven (is it?) episodes. But also, it would have made more money as a movie, even in COVID times. So there's that, in response to the money grab accusation.

I was wondering what was going on behind the scenes with this show, it seems so poorly thought out on so many levels. Not sure how this would work as a movie either , but it’s obvious there was some crap going on behind the scenes that made this a bit of a mess.

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

My biggest problem is centering the whole series around Leia.  I thought the first two episodes were fine, was a good jumping off point even, but that shoulda been it.  A subsequent cat and mouse game between Obi-Wan and the Inquisitors/Vader for the remaining four episodes sounds eminently doable and more appealing to me.  But the premise of Obi-Wan being a lost soul ten years after and finding redemption (with the kicker that regaining his relationship with the force allows him to break through to ghost Qui-Gon) is an eminently compelling one in my book.

Agree. There should be plenty of interesting directions to go with Obi Wan, but the show has barely bothered. I don’t know why Leia is really in it, even if some of the better moments have been her and Obi Wan. They have really dropped the ball, and it was a relatively easy win.

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

I think the better point to pick Obi-Wan's story would have been him settling on Tatooine, not him being a shell of the man he used to be ten years after ROTS.

Well, it's probably just me, but I really like the "shell of a man redeemed" story - particularly for Obi-Wan and McGregor.  More importantly, though, I've had enough of Tatooine, even before Boba.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

He wasn't a totally broken guy back at the end of ROTS, so the whole thing there is a little bit over the top.

He barely had any time to react by the end of ROTS.  Him becoming a broken man plagued with guilt and losing his relationship with the force over the next ten years makes perfect sense to me.

1 minute ago, KalVsWade said:

Also, I emphatically do not want Vader to be explored in depth or showing his inner turmoil. The reason Vader is scary and awesome is because he has none of that bullshit until Luke almost dies. Until then he is just a bad mother fucker going through life being bad.

I want that show. I want to see him going around and fucking people over and others trying to off him and failing. I do not want him to have a single solitary regret or pensive stare. 

I agree that up until TESB there shouldn't be any real doubt or weakness in the 'conflict department', but I think it could be gratifying to depict a Vader who faces and overcomes challenges - dealing with rivals, winning victories, hunting and killing Jedi, etc. The EU does offer some of that stuff, and there is no reason why a show couldn't do something similar.

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

More seriously, I just think they're out of ideas that can sustain 5 to 8 hours of content.

They have decades' worth of books, comics, animations and video games to adapt or trawl for ideas. They won't be running out of ideas that can sustain 5-8 hours of content for quite a while. That was one of the things that attracted Disney.

Archived