Star Warsing Across the Universe

IlyaP

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

I really hope Andor gets a better reception just on the film craft side of things. The trailer looks so very promising.

The trailer for Andor was great but then so were the trailers for Obi-Wan.

Disney must be paying the people who make the trailers more than they're paying the writers.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

I really hope Andor gets a better reception just on the film craft side of things. The trailer looks so very promising.

Disney has always been able to make a great trailer.

They should consider making a movie that's all trailer. just 120 minutes of out of context lines that sound dramatic, swelling music and quick cuts between the best looking shots they can come up with. No need to worry about stuff making sense or explaining things like how someone returned.

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

They should consider making a movie that's all trailer. just 120 minutes of out of context lines that sound dramatic, swelling music and quick cuts between the best looking shots they can come up with. No need to worry about stuff making sense or explaining things like how someone returned.

So you want them to make another Rise of Skywalker?

1 minute ago, DMC said:

So you want them to make another Rise of Skywalker?

Its funny because I was just getting ready to type exactly that when I got the pop up notification that there was a new reply in the thread.  :lol: 

17 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Is anyone else excited for a jump to live action for Quinlan Vos?

Yes indeed, but I'm not particularly expecting it. It would be interesting, considering what happened in the novel Dark Disciple.

I enjoyed this episode right up until the last part of the battle. There in lies the problems with this type of power, you show Vaders strength but then the same wall of fire he just extinguished erupts and allows Ben to get away? Put the fire out again or force pull him to you. IMO it would have been better to have the droid pop out of the fire and attack like a Terminator catching Vader by surprise allowing Ben to escape.

One last gripe, I'm tired of seeing Leia run already, believe we have seen her run for extended period of time in every episode. For some reason when she runs I see an Ewok running.

I was also surprised at the level of carnage Disney let Vader do, gives me hope for future shows.

26 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Is anyone else excited for a jump to live action for Quinlan Vos?

Sure, he was definitely one of the more interesting characters introduced (to me, that is) in clone wars.  Be cool if he showed up in Andor (or perhaps maybe even Ahsoka), but like Corvinus I'm not counting on it.

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

IMO it would have been better to have the droid pop out of the fire and attack like a Terminator catching Vader by surprise allowing Ben to escape.

And then gives a thumbs up as he melts into the fire.

I think I'm just going to pretend in future that this series is some sort of AU thing and doesn't exist in the canon SW in my head.

It's not hurting me or anything and I've watched worse series. It's just not a thing I want to be canon. It's on a par with Solo, well above Rise of Skywalker and Revenge of the Sith. Disappointing and a waste of acting talent.

They should've stuck with making this a film.

If we talk about 'private canon' now - anybody else thinking that a fictional universe/series/whatever starts to break down when there is 'canon' and 'alternative nonsense stuff' - or even worse: a multiverse setting within the fictional universe so that whoever is writing this stuff no longer has to try to keep anything straight?

29 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

If we talk about 'private canon' now - anybody else thinking that a fictional universe/series/whatever starts to break down when there is 'canon' and 'alternative nonsense stuff' - or even worse: a multiverse setting within the fictional universe so that whoever is writing this stuff no longer has to try to keep anything straight?

This sounds like you're worried Star Wars will devolve into what's currently happening with MCU Phase 4.  Which, yeah, is probably inevitable Mr. Anderson.

45 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Didn't he hook up with Ventriss on some story some where? Is her fate settles in the non-legends stuff?

No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if she's referenced in some form in Ahsoka.

Enjoyed  it, but they seem to consistently and unexplicably skimp on details which, while minor in themselves, would have very much elevated the material. Like, "send the all the probes" and we saw like 3 being sent? The often-mentioned gate - would it have broken bank to CGI some concrete frame around it? Shouldn't there been at least some attempt at disguise when Obi and Leia were crossing that town? How did Kenobi get out of the house to lead Vader away without everybody and their dog jumping him, if he didn't take the tunnel? Why not give the renegade officer a still active military comm-link  to explain how she could have found him so quickly?  Placing a speeder bike on the street  or a scout on the same would have precluded all the confusion re: how Reva got to the spaceport ahead of Leia yet didn't bump into (and bump off) the rebel lady in the tunnels. I am 100% sure that Vader let Kenobi escape to also track down  his rescuers to their hide-out and bag their whole operation, but still that escape should have looked more convincing. Maybe have the loader droid rock in on a speeder or be secretly modified to be very speedy itself, or something, anything.

Everything else worked for me, emotions were palpable. What is the Empire doing with the Force Sensitives it finds? Kills them in some way, I presume. There are far too few Inquisitors for any wide-scale recruitment to their ranks.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:41 PM, KalVsWade said:

Star Wars appears to be more bad than, say, Marvel or DC has been.

To be fair, the usual suspects have little to be upset about in Marvel movies. There was some hulabuloo about Captain Marvel and a (white) woman playing the Old One in Strange, IIRC. Wasn't there something about the Black Panther too? But it would have been more palatable to them because it is largely set in an exotic African country. But otherwise women and PoC are firmly in the supporting/side-kick category with a very occasional villain in the mix in the Marvel films. They also largely adhere  to the "one woman" trope. I expect some howling  once the newest Thor comes out.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:46 AM, Heartofice said:

Fans don't seem to take much issue with Rogue One's incredibly diverse cast,

Eh, did you miss how everybody else on that mission but Jyn was a dude? Like, the Rebellion seemingly didn't have any female undercover operatives in need of redemption? And she was literally "a mad scientist's beautiflul daughter" who only got involved because of who her father was? Not to mention that there are, like 3 women in the whole movie, 2 of which appear very briefly, and the female pilots voices were clearly added during the re-shoots. I liked RO, but it tried to align itself with the OT too hard and in the respects where the OT was very much of "it's time". 

On 6/1/2022 at 9:46 AM, Heartofice said:

mainly because the movie was respectful of the franchise and was seen to be good. Lando and Leia are two very popular characters from the OT.

Leia and Lando were very much ahead of their time. But the rest of women in OT have less than 2 min of dialogue combined and IIRC there are no other PoC.

And as far as women are concerned, the PT was, inexplicably and infuriatingly worse, because Padme was a much weaker character than Leia throughout and in RoTS had nothing to do but to be pregnant and sad. To add insult to injury she dies of a broken heart! And the only other female character of note was Shmi, who was wholly defined by being Anakin's mother and only appeared briefly. All the female Jedi were "blink and you miss it" too and IIRC none even had lines.

On 6/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, Lord Varys said:

Traditionally, Star Wars doesn't go with 'special Force powers' for 'special people' thing.

Eh, it makes sense for the Force users to have particular talents in certain areas. They do use different fighting-styles too, after all. And we never saw anybody use that weird Force Cry that Kenobi does in ANH :P. Also, canonically some have strong premonitions and some don't. Oh, and weren't Anakin's piloting and mechanical abilities enhanced by the Force to an unusual degree for a Jedi?

Obviously the traditional 'mind-reading thing' Vader and Luke and Palpatine show in the OT is a generic Jedi/Sith trait. And it is not enough to take the location of the rebel base from Leia's mind.

Vader and Luke were strongly connected through the Force at this point, but the Emperor likely was more talented in this area. Also, some people are more canonically resistent to mind-reading than others and it wasn't one of Vader's areas of expertise.

Anakin Skywalker has been conceived by the Force itself, and he seems to have the strongest known Force potential of all time. Nothing indicates that his grandson is as powerful as Luke or Anakin himself.

And yet, Obi-wan, who didn't have any special origins nor any foretellings about him, handily beat Anakin at the height of his powers. Funny, that. For that matter, by your logic there was no reason to think that Luke would be particularly strong either, just because he was Anakin's son, yet clearly Yoda and Kenobi gambled everything on him being so. No, it doesn't actually make any sense that they did outside of yet more premonition/foretelling, but that's how OT rolled.

Bottom line is - if there is a Force technique which allows you to rip something out of another mind - then why the hell does the Emperor not use such people throughout the OT? Why is Vader questioning Leia and not (somebody who has the ability of) Third Sister?

Probably because such people are too much of a double-edged sword to be worth keeping around. Also, Vader was the one who grabbed Leia. I am sure a more thorough interrogation by conventional means could have been employed as well, but he had a better idea as to how to find out what he wanted.

On 6/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, Werthead said:

It would be good if we see a moment when the Emperor and Vader kill off all the Inquisitors and "Dark Side Users" before the events of Episode IV to return to the strict Rule of Two. The RoT is silly, but it does at least explain why Vader and Palpatine don't have a huge army of other Dark Side users running around, and the "well, they're Dark Side Force Users but not 'Sith' technically," excuse is pure BS.

Nah, Lucas painted himself into a corner when he suddenly revealed that there were 10K Jedis around acting openly and publicly in the PT. There being just the 2 of them made sense when in the OT it seemed like Jedi had been a small secretive organization/cult of a few dozen people. But even given the Order 66 there should have been too many surviving Jedi and growing up Force Sensitives for Vader to chase all of them down on his lonesome and keep the new ones from developing. The Inquisitors make sense and nothing  prevents them from still existing and doing their thing elsewhere during the OT. In fact, it is more plausible that way to explain why Luke was the only Force Sensitive involved in the Rebellion at that point.

In general, Rule of Two and the corresponding "there can only be One" active Jedi/lightsider + their largely passive doomed mentor doesn't make a lick of sense. It was one of the most disappointing things about the ST, that they strong-armed it back into that. 

Archived