We own this city- HBO- Spoilers

Calibandar

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Don't play wit' me! That was Simon and Burns' book The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood  (1997), which became a television series, for which he was credited some of the episodes as a writer.

For the NBC Homicide series, adapted from Simon's 1991 book, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, though he was credited with consultant title, and later producer title for some of the eps, he wasn't a writer.

I was going off the IMDb page for the show - where he is listed as a staff writer. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106028/fullcredits

Anyway…it doesn’t really matter. I still consider it something I need to see eventually to have seen all of David Simon’s tv work. :dunno:

He's not listed as a writer in other places, and I've heard him talk about it in the New Orleans days, when I don't think I'd yet seen Homicide?  :dunno:

You are in for something special though, when you do get to watch that series.  It's amazing, it really is.  It took a bit of time for it to get that roll going, but far shorter than one would have expected. NYC  African American female friends were always telling me how great Homicide was.  They never bonded with The Wire the way they did with Homicide -- but those are my friends, and that probably is them, as opposed to all ''African American women."  Especially in New Orleans, where the women there were all in forever with Treme.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:36 AM, Nictarion said:

I still think The Corner is the 2nd best thing Simon has done, but The Deuce is definitely my favorite post-The Wire. 

Haven’t seen Homicide: Life on the Street.

I have to say I did find both Homicide and The Corner rather dated looking and that got in the way of my enjoyment.

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

Homicide is almost 30 years old, you know?

Yes.  It was television network time old already when I watched it!  Yet -- like novels such as Middlemarch -- which depicted an era several decades previous to when it was written -- it remained riveting -- the actors' characters and the plots, and the locations, all contribute to that.  However, I haven't watched it in the last decade, so maybe I'd feel differently now. :mellow:

43 minutes ago, baxus said:

Homicide is almost 30 years old, you know?

Of course I know. It aired around the time Babylon 5 was on :D

Which, as much as I love that show, is also quite dated.

These things are personal. There is plenty of stuff from the 90's which doesnt feel dated to me at all, but on the other handm a lot does, and its natural, the progress of time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/08/the-wire-is-20-we-own-this-city-challenges-its-fans/

... “The Wire” is a show about people trying and failing. “We Own This City” is about people who have failed and don’t particularly care about anything other than grabbing what they can from the wreckage. Viewers who were captivated by the former should feel uncomfortable watching the latter. While “We Own This City” focuses on the scandals of the Baltimore Police Department’s corrupt Gun Trace Task Force, it’s at least in part an indictment of how people who claimed to love “The Wire” failed to act on that enthusiasm.

Simon’s new show is an unsparing and unblinking look at the ways in which institutional corruption up and down the line has led to Baltimore becoming the American equivalent of a failed state.

Indeed, I couldn’t help but feel while watching “We Own This City” that it was, occasionally, in dialogue with “The Wire.” Or, perhaps more to the point, in dialogue with the people who watched and loved “The Wire” but took no lessons from “The Wire,” people who understood it to be a critique of the drug war and went to work for the Obama administration and did nothing to stop the drug war, people who watched silently 40 miles south as Baltimore slid into further violence, further corruption, further decay. ....

Archived