Football: Final thread of the season. Start delayed.

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Going from memory for me now, but ... I'd take him at Arsenal (he would be an upgrade on Ramsdale),

That's debatable. Ramsdale is coming off a very good season plus he's good with the ball which helps a lot with Arsenal's playing out from the back. Burnley don't play that way so Pope's ability to play out from the back is untested. Replacing a 24y/o Ramsdale who has performed well and fits the style of play with a 30y/o Pope who doesn't would be a stupid and unnecessary signing for Arsenal.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

The new Ramos.

In terms of aggressiveness, yeah. But Rüdiger isn't really the kinda dirty player Ramos is. Again, check his disciplinary  record. During his time at Chelsea he has played 133 EPL games, 0 red cards(!) and 23 yellow cards. So basically a yellow card every 6th game. And Rüdiger isn't also the sorta player who intentionally injures opponents.

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Planting his shoulder in De Bruyne's face in the Champions League final springs to mind.

Again, that was a  run of the mill foul that happens every other game. Just usually players look where they are running and don't go there head first. De Bruyne didn't watch for oncoming traffic but tracked the ball instead. That's what made that impact much worse. 

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Again, that was a  run of the mill foul that happens every other game. Just usually players look where they are running and don't go there head first. De Bruyne didn't watch for oncoming traffic but tracked the ball instead. That's what made that impact much worse. 

Yeah, no it wasn't. If you do something that'd get you sent off in a rugby match, you definitely deserve to be sent off in a football match.

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

And that's a position where Ramsdale is unlikely to improve a lot.

Again, you're having a laugh. Ramsdale is 23. In goalkeeping terms, he is just a baby. And shot stopping is absolutely one of the main attributes where you would expect to see improvement over the course of a goalkeeper's career.

13 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Again, you're having a laugh. Ramsdale is 23. In goalkeeping terms, he is just a baby. And shot stopping is absolutely one of the main attributes where you would expect to see improvement over the course of a goalkeeper's career.

I don't really expect Ramsdale to improve a lot at shot stopping in itself, no.

I expect him to get better at positioning, but Ramsdale is among those (like, say, Shay Given) who will have to rely on his speed a lot, given that he's small for his position. 

Of course I may be very wrong indeed, and I know there was trotted out a lot when Arsenal first bought him about how he's really very good. I think he'll be solid but unspectacular in the long run, myself.

Spending any money on a 30 year old that doesn't play out from the back much doesn't make much sense to me, especially as I think Ramsdale has proved himself to be a good shot stopper. 

Especially as we've just bought Matt Turner. 

3 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

I don't really expect Ramsdale to improve a lot at shot stopping in itself, no.

I expect him to get better at positioning

You realise how contradictory this is, right? Better positioning = more chance of making the save.

This Pope > Ramsdale thing is beyond bizarre. He's been a transformative signing for us. Only Ederson and Alisson have better clean sheet records this season.

And I'm guessing you didn't see his performance against Leicester, where he made a whole bunch of amazing saves, a performance that saw him shortlisted for the PL Gamechanger award.

Anyway, the only explanation I can offer for your viewpoint is you haven't really been paying close attention to Arsenal or Burnley this season. Either that, or you're just clinging to the tatters of the narrative that was being peddled when we signed him.

I know it's generally your way to go "my way or you're an idiot", but I'm not interested, Spocky.

I have my opinion. It may be all wrong. It's mine nevertheless, and wether or not you believe it I've held it before the narrative you present. You are free to have your opinion. 

But the way you present your opinion just means I'll promptly ignore you. I care not either way what you think of it.

As to the contradiction you seem to think there is in my position .. no, there is no neccesary self contradiction there. Right now Ramsdale makes some amazing saves at times, relying on his speed and movement. Those will decrease as he ages, while his positioning will make up for it. That can mean he gets better, stand still or get worse. All possible.

And yes, of course he has brilliant games. Every keeper on this level has them. But even if Jordan Pickford has the game of the season vs Chelsea, that doesn't make him the best keeper in the league. Consistency is key.

Thirdly, while I would personally have a different keeper than Ramsdale doesn't mean I think Arsenal will go for Pope (I don't). I presented my opinion that I regard Pope as a better keeper. 

5 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Consistency is key.

Other than one or two bad games, he's been consistently good this season. As I said, only Alisson and Ederson kept more clean sheets.

Archived