Football: Final thread of the season. Start delayed.

36 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Lewandowski really burning bridges at Bayern. Can't see how he stays after the comments he's been making. Bayern will probably be forced into selling rather than hoping he would see out the last year of his contract.

Frankly, makes sense since the whole argument they were making for keeping him is that he played very well in his last Dortmund season when he wanted to leave, meaning his professionalism was being used against him.

There’s quite a bit of pessimism swirling around Liverpool because of Mane and Salah.  But this was always on the cards as they entered the final year of their contracts.  There was always a sense that Salah wanted to be paid like a global star and that Mane felt disrespected by Salah getting more media praise over the years.  They each had a very good half of a season, but only half.  It will be very tough to replace 50-60 goals a season (and 20+ assists) from the pair combined, but hopefully both Jota  and Diaz will develop further and we can add another very good forward.  We’ve run out the clock on this team aging together.  

The silver lining is that Klopp is sticking around for the rebuild and we’ve already added Jota and Diaz.  We’ll just have to be very good at recruiting once again because we aren’t in the very top tier of spenders.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

There’s quite a bit of pessimism swirling around Liverpool because of Mane and Salah.  But this was always on the cards as they entered the final year of their contracts.  There was always a sense that Salah wanted to be paid like a global star and that Mane felt disrespected by Salah getting more media praise over the years.  They each had a very good half of a season, but only half.  It will be very tough to replace 50-60 goals a season (and 20+ assists) from the pair combined, but hopefully both Jota  and Diaz will develop further and we can add another very good forward.  We’ve run out the clock on this team aging together.  

The silver lining is that Klopp is sticking around for the rebuild and we’ve already added Jota and Diaz.  We’ll just have to be very good at recruiting once again because we aren’t in the very top tier of spenders.

I'm more pessimistic about the lack of Firmino transfer rumours. :crying:

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It's not ideal. I think there's a strong chance we get a bit worse next year which is a little depressing given we came so close to winning the league/Champions League this year. Salah pretty clearly wants to run his contract down though so I'd imagine he'll still be around next season.

This sucks so much man.

I mean Casemiro still has a few good years in him, and they already signed Camavinga last summer. So they are basically stacked at that position. 

A midfield of Tchouaméni, Pogba and Modric would be great stuff though

ETA: OK, I've just seen that Pogba's heading back to Juve

I know we can't draw conclusions from these stupid Nations League games but England are so shit.

Despite being the better team, Germany weren't great either. It looks like most of the European sides are in a patch of transition / rebuild. Guess it could open the way for Argentina or Brazil to win it in Qatar. 

WC is still half a year away. Too early to tell, who's gonna end up with the Slave State World Cup 2022. Quite a few unknowns too, not least Covid. 

As for this Lewandowski-Bayern soap opera. My sympathy for Lewandowski is somewhat limited. He knowingly and willing singed a contract that runs out in 2023, not 2022. I don't think Bayern's position of not giving in to a tantrum by a player is unreasonable by any stretch. I mean, if the roles were reversed, Bayern wanting to offload him, and him insisting to run down his contract, you wouldn't see me shed a tear for Bayern either.

52 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Looks like Brazzo is really starting to piss off Liverpool.

ETA.

Confirmed by Joyce too.

I've heard (I don't have proof, of course) that he pisses off everyone, so that's why many Bayern players lately left with an expiring contract, and that will happen with Lewandovski as well. 

5 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

We're doing our thing. Rinse and repeat.

Repeating a failing strategy will bring success, right?

Hard to see a downside to this surely? Hes on a free, he has been a consistently good defender in the prem for years, he's right at his peak so Everton would get 3-4 decent years out of him. 

6 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

We're doing our thing. Rinse and repeat.

Repeating a failing strategy will bring success, right?

I can't imagine Keane & Tarkowski playing as CBs for you. Keane is already terrible at playing it out from the back, and I don't think Tarkowski is any better. Maybe Lampard doesn't want to do that though.

Archived