Football: Final thread of the season. Start delayed.

2 minutes ago, Raja said:
He has some criminal case pending though, I think?

Potentially. He's 'released under investigation' which as far as I can tell means they're not charging him now and may never but are still looking into things and might come back to him with something. 

He's not waiting on a court date or anything, anyway, nor on bail pending charges. 

I know MLS doesn't matter much here, but Apple TV just bought the exclusive rights to air their matches and more than doubled what each team will get for the next decade. That's going to help grow the sport a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple goes after more soccer leagues. They can pay more than basically anyone and if one provider offered MLS, PL, La Liga and more, I'd sign up just for that.

Looks like PSG have failed to convince Zidane. Di Marzio reporting that they've turned their attention to Christophe Galtier and are close to reaching an agreement.

Agresti reporting that Juve has finalised the deal with Pogba and will officially announce his signing in July.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

England and France have to be among the most disappointing national teams. Both are overflowing with talent yet play some of the most turgid football.

Maybe, but what matters is winning ga... Oh.

So I see the Aussies managed to qualify to the World Cup. Too bad the Kiwis failed to join them, but in a group with Spain and Germany, they likely would have been trounced.

Edit: I have to hand it the Australian keeper. For all dancing around, he still manages to keep a foot on the line when the shot is taken.

15 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Looks like PSG have failed to convince Zidane. Di Marzio reporting that they've turned their attention to Christophe Galtier and are close to reaching an agreement.

Agresti reporting that Juve has finalised the deal with Pogba and will officially announce his signing in July.

How hilarious would be if Pogba managed to thrive at Juve again? And isn't Galtier the opposite of what PSG wanted- a coach with a good domestic record, and virtually no european one?

16 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

How hilarious would be if Pogba managed to thrive at Juve again?

Juve no longer have prime Bonucci, Barzagli, Chiellini, Pirlo, Marchisio/Vidal to cover for him. He might do better than he did at United but Pogba is the very definition of "on his day" type of player and he's injury prone as well. Either way, I'm glad to see the back of him. If United were a well run club, we'd have sold him 3 years ago.

16 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

And isn't Galtier the opposite of what PSG wanted- a coach with a good domestic record, and virtually no european one?

It seems that PSG have run out of options. How many managers with a history of European success are actually available? If the rumours are to be believed then Zidane, Allegri and Mourinho all turned down offers.

Matt Law reporting that Chelsea and Inter have opened talks over Lukaku's return to Inter (expected to be a loan deal). Says that Lukaku would have to accept a wage cut and Chelsea would likely have to cover part of his wages as well to make the move happen.

ETA.

That almost sounds like it wouldn't be worth it for Chelsea. They'd be better off trying again with him, unless they think they can persuade Lewandowski to be their 5-goals-a-season-striker instead.

Otherwise, who else is potentially available at the moment that might tempt a Champions League club?

Well, Lukaku is eating up quite a bit of their wage budget (and Abramovich is no longer there to write it off). So looks like they are really desperate to offload him and his wages somewhere. United and Sanchez reloaded. United had to pay more than half his wages iirc. 

Lukaku accepts his wages to be cut in half, but Chelsea asks for a 20-25€ loan fee. It's unlikely that it's going to happen.

Hopefully doesn't happen anyway. Conte isn't here anymore and the fitness coach that was here those two seasons, Pintus, left for Real Madrid last summer. 

Also Inter has to make profit of about 60 million €. If Lukaku comes, there probably will be more than one sacrifice in the transfer market. Cause the profit needs to be made, but also there are players that need to be signed, like Dybala and Bremer or some alternatives of theirs.

Archived