Football: Final thread of the season. Start delayed.

Fun piece of news for the Euros 2024.

The German FA is hosting that tournament, so they are now shopping for training grounds for teams. Since our most hated neighbours' stadium is a venue, we were asked to offer our stadium as training grounds for teams. 

Tentatively we agreed to that, however, we inisted on a contract clause, which allows us to make use of our domiciliary rights and thus refuse access to teams (nations), who are not in line with the values of our club. 

So I suspect Hungary will be pretty high on our not-welcome-list.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Todd Boehly’s apparently appointed himself as interim sporting director at Chelsea. That seems ill advised but it’ll be pretty funny if it completely goes to shit.

Reports say that they are on the lookout for a sporting director though. Names being mentioned are Michael Edwards (apparently he's already turned them down) and their former sporting director, Michael Emenalo.

In other news. Austrian International and Frankfurt player Martin 'Hinti' Hinteregger has retired from football at the age of 29.

He has made the headlines last month for not entirely football related reasons.

He organized a cup tournament for fans in his Austrian hometown, the so called "Hinti Cup". Part of it was to make some money for a museum or something, but primarily his motivation seemed to be organizing something for fans. Which is pretty much in line with his character. This supposedlly nice idea (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and just assume it was really intended as fun giving back to fans event) then took a dark turn. I am not sure about the exact circumstances, but however he ended up signing up to cooperation with a guy named Heinrich Sickl, who was supposed to organize a music festival accompanying the cup. Line up was shitty, from what I could see, but that's a mere matter of taste I suppose (DJ Ötzi sucks). Anyway, Heinrich Sickl is not merely a rich entrepreneur from a wealthy family from the region, he is also a FPÖ politician (Austria's right wing populist party). Hinteregger was more or less aware of that fact, but by his account, an FPÖ membership is sorta normal in Austria, and he considers it only 10% as bad as the German AfD (let's agree to disagree on this one Hinti, I'd rather take it as sign of how fucked up Austria's political system is, if they are viewed as normal). What he apparently wasn't aware of were Sickl's links to the Identitarian movement. So as soon as the name Sickl showed up articles and unpleasent questions popped up. He had to answer a few of those to Frankfurt's club president, who wasn't amused that one of their players was linked to Neo Nazis. Hinteregger published a statement, that he is not racist, and that he despises fascists (but also crying witchhunt because that suddenly became the headlines surrounding his supposed fun event). Furthermore he canceled his partnership with Sickl and the music festival. So this will be a financial hit for Hinteregger, who will have to make compensatory payments to the musicians.  He expected to walk away with deficit of around 100.000 € before the event (as he just wanted to throw a party), as he organized and paid for a chartered flight and bus trip for the Frankfurt fans out of his own pocket. I suppose with the costs for the canceled music festival, that will be quite a bit more now.

So far, PSG have extended Neymar's contract and it looks like they are appointing Galtier. While the former is considered deadwood by a lot of people (you've got to admit Brazilian forwards aren't always very good past 30), the latter is a good coach no doubt, but well below the PSG /QSI standards.

So they aren't doing a very good transfer window minus Mbappé.

Of course, it's nothing compared with United

Archived