Football: Final thread of the season. Start delayed.

With both Sterling and Jesus entering the final year of their contracts at City, it’s surprising that their mooted transfer fees are so much higher than Mane’s.  Yes, age is definitely a factor, but both of them were squad rotation players over the past two years rather than crucial starters — which is the main reason for their availability.  Perhaps the willingness of the players and City to consider PL club offers is a factor too.

They, particularly Sterling, are squad rotation players because City can afford a stupid squad, and that very wealth also means letting them go for free isn't a big hit for them so they're comfortable demanding a good price now.

In any case both, especially Sterling, are pretty definitely starter quality for any other team

55 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

In any case both, especially Sterling, are pretty definitely starter quality for any other team

Agreed, but so is Mane and even moreso.  I’m not knocking either Sterling or Jesus, just surprised that they are commanding a significantly higher fee than Mane when their contract situation is the same.

Age definitely matters but Mane can be a guaranteed starter in a higher caliber team than can Sterling or Jesus — and that is how their transfers look to be panning out — but I guess there weren’t many serious CL contenders looking for a new forward once Haaland, Mbappe, Lewandowski and Nunez landed, but there are a few PL clubs who need finishers to keep or propel them into CL qualification.  And age affects potential resale value.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

With both Sterling and Jesus entering the final year of their contracts at City, it’s surprising that their mooted transfer fees are so much higher than Mane’s.  Yes, age is definitely a factor, but both of them were squad rotation players over the past two years rather than crucial starters — which is the main reason for their availability.  Perhaps the willingness of the players and City to consider PL club offers is a factor too.

Yea, agreed. I think it's age + PL. Really only thing that makes sense.

I'm not actually watching it but I just saw a picture to go with the BBC score updates for the warm up for the Women's Euros between England and Holland. England are wearing an all orange kit and the Dutch a white shirt with blue shorts. Absolutely disgraceful scenes.

32 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

It sounds like Arsenal are going to get Raphinha too. Leeds are really going to be in the doo-doo next season.

They paid 25 million for Daniel James. The writing was on the wall.

Leeds will have funds to reinvest in the squad but I haven’t been impressed by Jesse Marsch yet and could not have confidence yet in his recruitment or coaching, so they’re losing known quality for very uncertain quality.

9 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Rooney has been excellent in every way for Derby, and he seems to have a genuine connection with the club, the supporters, the team.

The administrators must be educationally subnormal to let him get away.

That's not a particularly nice way to express that sentiment.

Besides, the administrators spent a considerable time trying to change his mind. Nobody can blame Rooney for walking away here, still less blame the administrators for it happening.

Reading between the lines, Rooney supported the previous takeover attempt and did not fancy the current one.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

So are we going to sign someone this summer or... ?

Nah... ETH signed up for the ultimate United experience. Poorly composed squad +  toxic enviroment.

You wouldn't want to deprive him of this adventure, would you?

Archived