Football: Final thread of the season. Start delayed.

34 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

A little disappointing that, according to the press anyway, all ETH wants to do is sign current or former Ajax players. Not very imaginative of him, if that's the case.

I don't know, leaving aside boardroom level stuff, Ten Hag's got three major issues as new United manager for me. Firstly United just aren't in a position to sign top class players at the moment, secondly the dressing room seems to be a bit of a toxic environment and thirdly he kind of needs to build the team around Ronaldo at the moment but Ronaldo isn't going to part of the long term plans for what is going to be a long term project.

Bringing in players he knows he can rely on/aren't dickheads seems like a good way to go about building the kind of foundations to improve the environment at the club and then attract bigger talents next summer and beyond. With the Ronaldo issue he's probably going to need players who're flexible in how they play and developing those kind of players is kind of Ajax's thing.

If all he's ever going to do is sign former Ajax players that'd be a concern but for the initial players he's asking for it doesn't seem that big of a deal to me.

19 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Best of luck to him.  Good player and good professional.  His goals in the early cup rounds were crucial to the only trophies we actually landed.  I hope he’s successful and continues to develop.

But it’s weird that a player who struggled to get any minutes outside of rotated line-ups for lesser games would be the top priority for a club like Monaco. 

Edit: not unlike Origi going to AC Milan, I guess, but I didn’t think he was projected to be a starter there.

32 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Why would Juve want to part with de Ligt?

They can't agree on the contract extension (2 years left of current contract). Plus, he said he doesn't want to fight for 4th place every year or something among those lines.

If they don't sell him this summer he can go for a lower fee next year or leave on a Bosman in 2024 as he doesn't seem to be close to renewing with them.

Agresti reported that Juve would prefer to renew his contract but De Ligt has not been as open to a contract renewal as Juve would like so they are prepared to sell. There's been rumours that they would look to replace him with Bremer (Inter have also been linked to Bremer to replace Skriniar who could be sold to PSG).

I'm surprised that more clubs aren't looking at Bremer. He's been great for Torino and apparently a €25-30m bid would get the deal done. Wish United would stop wasting their time trying to sign Ajax players that the club don't want to sell unless they receive grossly inflated transfer fees – just move on, ffs! I'd rather have Bremer over Timber and Raphinha over Antony - they would cost less and are currently the better players too.

Inter have an agreement with Bremer. But someone must be sold first (it will most likely be Skriniar to PSG) so that Bremer's fee could be subsidised from it as Torino reportedly asks for 35-40 million and Inter can't afford to pay that now without a sale. 

But if they can't sign him I don't think he'll wait for them the whole summer as he wants to move on from Torino so that he can get a call up for the Brazilian squad in the World Cup.

14 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Inter have an agreement with Bremer. But someone must be sold first (it will most likely be Skriniar to PSG) so that Bremer's fee could be subsidised from it as Torino reportedly asks for 35-40 million and Inter can't afford to pay that now without a sale. 

But if they can't sign him I don't think he'll wait for them the whole summer as he wants to move on from Torino so that he can get a call up for the Brazilian squad in the World Cup.

I've read some reports claiming that when Bremer renewed with Torino, he had a low release clause inserted into his contract – various reports claim that the release clause becomes active either in January or at the end of the season. If true, I doubt Torino will get as much as €40m unless there's a bidding war.

21 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I've read some reports claiming that when Bremer renewed with Torino, he had a low release clause inserted into his contract – various reports claim that the release clause becomes active either in January or at the end of the season. If true, I doubt Torino will get as much as €40m unless there's a bidding war.

It's true. His clause becomes active in January and it's 15 million€. For a fee in the range of 30-40m, he'll be sold this summer. I just hope the reports he gave Marotta word that he'll wait for Inter are true. If Skriniar is sold soon I expect it to be done right after that.

In other news.

Hertha Berlin has a new club president.

That self-proclaimed big city club has been mismanaged for a while, and they got an external investor (Windhorst) onboard. Him and the (old) club president, Gegenbauer, didn't like each other. It was quite a show they put on dissing each other in public.

After they narrowly escaped relegation this year, Gegenbauer said he'd step down. Windhorst being deeply unpopular with a significant amount of their fan scene did not name a candidate to run for office, or even run for the office himself.

First candidate to rhwo his hat in the ring was a guy named Kay Bernstein. IT Entrepreneur, and one of the founders of Hertha's Ultra Group Harlekins (bunch of wankers). 

Then a group within the club more or less desperately wanted to find a nother candidate to run against Bernstein, fearing that it would lead to a new round of Club Board vs. Investor warfare. They dug up Frank Steffel. Who lost the Berlin Mayoral (Governorship of the City state) election on top of the CDU ticket back in the early 2000s (2002 or 2003 IIRC). Back then, they dubbed him the Kennedy of Berlin, and the folks at der Spiegel named him the perennial loser after he was convincingly defeated by Wowereit. Then the entrepreneur carved out a spot in public life as president of Berlin's Handball club. He was widely respected there. Anyway, so they asked him whether he would run, he agreed. 

And true to his perennial loser label, he lost to Bernstein. Windhorst is just happy that Gegenbauer is gone, and thinks things can only improve (even if his presumably preferred choiche Steffel lost). 

Personally, I hope for another round of Hertha vs. Windhorst. Show is way too entertaining.

sven botman should be announced tomorrow for newcastle. we are having a subdued but quality transfer season. these new signings added to the quality of the latter half of the last campaign a top ten finish should be attained and i wouldn't be too shocked if they have what it takes to challenge for the two lower european competitions.

4 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

sven botman should be announced tomorrow for newcastle. we are having a subdued but quality transfer season. these new signings added to the quality of the latter half of the last campaign a top ten finish should be attained and i wouldn't be too shocked if they have what it takes to challenge for the two lower european competitions.

Sounds like ekitike has a twat of an agent. I'm fine walking away from that deal. 

Archived