NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

Last thread was at 25, so it's time.  FYI, The Problem is the nickname Lebron gave Jayson Tatum.

This is a good Finals matchup.  The Warriors have not faced a defense like what the Celtics will bring.  They are big, switch constantly, and will force GSW into turnovers.  Coaching will be a big factor, because I'm sure that Kerr will make adjustments to create space for guys and the Celtics will need to respond quickly.  The Warriors are less physical defensively, but nonetheless pretty competent on that end, and can easily exploit it if the Celtics are sloppy with the ball like they were against Miami.

On the flip side, the Celtics have just been through two great defensive teams in Milwaukee and Miami, but neither team was even close to the Warriors offensively.  Neither even attempt to attack the way that GSW does.  Now maybe that's not a problem, maybe Boston's defense is actually better suited for dealing with GSW than with Milwaukee.  I can see the argument at least. 

The Celtics just survived 14 games of brutal playoff basketball, and it has taken a toll.  Lots of guys are nursing injuries, whereas the Warriors are pretty fresh (they're actually getting some guys back). 

But the NBA is cruel to the young and none of the Celtics have been to the Finals before.  They're hardly playoff neophytes, but they've got nothing on the Warriors.  I can easily imagine that the Celtics struggles in late game situations will only continue in the Finals as the pressure ramps up. 

In almost every respect I give the Warriors a slight edge (health, experience, contested shot-making, late game execution, coaching).  Except for defense, which is a HUGE advantage for Boston.  Will that be enough?  It could, but I don't think so.  Give me Warriors in 7. 

Celts in 6 as I posted in previous thread.

Eta: I really, really hate being on the other side of a Kerr finals though. I believe if the Dubs do win Kerr will garner his frikn 9th ring, matching Jackson and just a few behind most of the old Celt greats.

Auerbach excluded, who has like 50 bazillion rings ersumshit.

50 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I really, really hate being on the other side of a Kerr finals though. I believe if the Dubs do win Kerr will garner his frikn 9th ring, matching Jackson and just a few behind most of the old Celt greats.

Auerbach excluded, who has like 50 bazillion rings ersumshit.

Jackson has 11 as a coach and one as a player. 

Warriors in 6. The playoff experience is key here in my mind and I like Curry and the Warriors in crunchtime 4th quarters should it come to that. Their turnovers have been terrible and I never saw any improvement despite the team (or at least Draymond) acknowledging it. They were sending passes into the seats more than once and I think the Celtics can capitalize on that for a game or 2. I'm very interested to see how Looney + Green play against Horford and Williams.

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

7 minutes in and curry already has 3 triples.  And two of them were wide ass open.  Smart just won dpoy, but he's not getting it done thus far.

His ankle must be the size of a softball. His injury along with Timelord's is what made me pick the Warriors. Smart is the only Celtic that can guard Curry for prolonged periods of time and the Heat's ability to attack the rim was night and day when a healthy TL was in there. If those two can't bring it the Celtics are in trouble unless Tatum and Brown just go nuts.

9 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I feel that Green's shooting disappeared after KD joined them, hasn't been reliable since and he was only decent to begin with. Seems bad for them that the Warriors are up by so little with Curry practically not missing though.

Draymond's three point shooting history is a bit bizarre. He's always been subpar expect for that long stretch when Walton coached the team. Kerr doesn't want him shooting much while Walton let him do as he pleased. The results are kind of staggering. 

Archived