NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is what it looks like when you don't make 9 of 11 threes in relatively short order.

Still got Warriors in six.

And turn it over a bunch of times and brick layups. And the other team starts making 3s at their own torrid pace.

Can we stop pretending that the Celtics only won because of the three point streak? Those were all good looks.

I hate that new camera angle. Who watched that and was like “This is a good idea!”?

When the Celtics are hot, they really do look like a championship caliber team. Unfortunately they need to be more consistent and stitch that together for 4 quarters in a single game. I made a bet with a friend that they’d take Game 3 (but I was expecting Warriors to be up 2-0).

18 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

And turn it over a bunch of times and brick layups. And the other team starts making 3s at their own torrid pace.

Can we stop pretending that the Celtics only won because of the three point streak? Those were all good looks.

You should hit 50% of your open looks. Hitting 9/11 is nuts, especially from role players.

19 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Two things I really like about this Finals:

Both teams are well run organizations that drafted and developed their core stars and have some young players doing important things for them.

If the Warriors win, it's like a slap in the face to KD. If the Celtics win, it's like a slap in the face to Kyrie.

I don't know about the Warriors necessarily being well run. Even though the way the NBA works means you can't compare contracts like for like because tenure, draft position and awards dictate the terms you can/have to offer, the Warriors are a whole max player above the average payroll. I guess that shows that they are a good team, but feels a bit like financial doping.

By the way, Steph and Klay makes as much as the whole of OKC who are the opposite of the Warriors, a whole max player below the 29th team in payroll. Disgusting.

9 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Also I would have ejected Draymond for the trip up with Jaylen. This is not the WWE.

Fuck off with this. They could have just as easily called an offensive foul for the obvious leg kick. 

And sports all around would be SO MUCH BETTER if we actually allowed a bit of pro wrestling to influence it. 

Playoff basketball is funny because the more "desperate" team does seem to win a lot of the time, at least if the teams are relatively even.  If GSW lost game 2 then the series is all virtually over.  It showed (particularly on defense) and they got the W.  These teams look pretty evenly matched IMO.  I think if the Warriors do win game 3 then the Celtics are very likely to win game 4.  If the Celtics win game 3 they could also win game 4, although I would consider a Warriors win to be more likely. 

I would also note that the Warriors scored 19 points on 8 possessions to end the 3rd quarter.  A 6 point game became a 23 point blowout. 

Looked like the Warriors were subbing more for defense in game 2 than in game 1.  Porter and especially Payton were getting a lot of minutes, and those guys are there for defense.  Poole was very memorable at the end of the 3rd, but he only saw 22 minutes all game, and a lot of those were cleanup in the 4th.  Poole is always a weak matchup on defense, but Curry demonstrated that he's a better defender than his reputation.  He's not particularly big or strong, but he works hard defensively and got several hustle plays on defense last night.  If Poole is getting getting exploited whenever he's on the floor, then Payton can fill in the backup pg role IF that doesn't create a bunch of problems offensively.  The problem is just that GSW does have a fair number of guys with limited offense, and if you put too many of those guys out, even just for 10 minutes a game for Curry to rest, it could cause a real problem. 

23 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I hate that new camera angle. Who watched that and was like “This is a good idea!”?

It looks like they wanted to replicate the Knicks TV from the 80s in Madison Square Garden, but the camera is too far back from the court, or else they need to zoom in quite a bit.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fuck off with this. They could have just as easily called an offensive foul for the obvious leg kick. 

And sports all around would be SO MUCH BETTER if we actually allowed a bit of pro wrestling to influence it. 

Yeah, I’ll pass. I’d rather watch actual basketball rather than Draymond wrestling with Brown or Batman. If you want WWE plot lines, then watch WWE. It ended up stopping the game for the review and burning some boring time for a bunch of bullshit. I get there’s a psychological aspect to the playoffs, and Green was trying to get into Brown’s head, but I just don’t find that aspect of the game actually entertaining— particularly when it stops the game.

17 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah, I’ll pass. I’d rather watch actual basketball rather than Draymond wrestling with Brown or Batman. If you want WWE plot lines, then watch WWE. It ended up stopping the game for the review and burning some boring time for a bunch of bullshit. I get there’s a psychological aspect to the playoffs, and Green was trying to get into Brown’s head, but I just don’t find that aspect of the game actually entertaining— particularly when it stops the game.

Man it was nothing, just some minor jawing at one another, and again Brown actually fouled Green on the play. Don't overlook that. 

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Man it was nothing, just some minor jawing at one another, and again Brown actually fouled Green on the play. Don't overlook that. 

Yeah in hindsight, more was made out of it than what it was. I think part of it is that I like Jaylen Brown and think he’s an intelligent and classy young player in the league.

Also, I watch every Warriors game at my local Warriors bar and we think Green gets some very dumb and unnecessary technicals that stops the game and could be bad for the Warriors in the long run (especially if he gets ejected and then suspended after accumulating too many T’s). He’s very unapologetic for his style of play and mentality which probably is what makes him so good at what he does and the role he plays but… it’s somewhat tiresome after a time, and feels unnecessary for a player with his talent and IQ because we know we need him. I guess it’s the vice of what makes a player good but at the same time frustrating to watch.

23 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah in hindsight, more was made out of it than what it was. I think part of it is that I like Jaylen Brown and think he’s an intelligent and classy young player in the league.

He's an anti-vaxxer. Fuck him.

Archived