NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Refs continue calling soft fouls on Curry.  Super weird.  

No it's not. Refs are clearly on the Celtics side. The amount of fouling they're getting away with is insane.

Again, Tatum and Brown could foul out of the first quarter of every game if they called it evenly.

Reffing hasn't been that bad aside from two of the calls on Curry.  But it's just silly when Curry touches someone like smart or white and they go flying... Come on refs, this isn't hard, Curry isn't throwing around 6-6 guys.

Klay and Kerr both complaining to the media after the game about the "Fuck Draymond" chant is so pathetic of them, just embarrassing stuff, not to mention hypocritical. Especially from Klay who played the "Think of the children" angle.

Draymond with another horrible game. Offensively he's pretty much always bad, but in this series he's been way subpar defensively for 2 games too.

2 hours ago, David Selig said:

Klay and Kerr both complaining to the media after the game about the "Fuck Draymond" chant is so pathetic of them, just embarrassing stuff, not to mention hypocritical. Especially from Klay who played the "Think of the children" angle.

Draymond with another horrible game. Offensively he's pretty much always bad, but in this series he's been way subpar defensively for 2 games too

Meanwhile Draymond sat there with his toddler next to him and said "I played like shit."

20 hours ago, David Selig said:

Draymond with another horrible game. Offensively he's pretty much always bad, but in this series he's been way subpar defensively for 2 games too.

I just cant root for anybody in this finals. I hear GS is so popular in the US but I dont find that team endearing at all.

Couldnt root for anybody in the Eastern finals either, though to me Miami plays even uglier than Boston so that feels like the right outcome. In the West I guess I would have preferred Dallas solely cause of Luka but you knew they werent going to win that.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

I just cant root for anybody in this finals. I hear GS is so popular in the US but I dont find that team endearing at all.

I think their popularity has waned.  My son and his buddies all of a sudden hate Golden State and I don't get it... :dunno: 

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think their popularity has waned.  My son and his buddies all of a sudden hate Golden State and I don't get it... :dunno: 

I think GSW is quite likable now.  Draymond is still irritating, but other than that they aren't bad. Curry is playing better defense, which I like.  It would be nice if they won another title without Durant, and Thompson's return from injury is pretty incredible. 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think GSW is quite likable now.  Draymond is still irritating, but other than that they aren't bad. Curry is playing better defense, which I like.  It would be nice if they won another title without Durant, and Thompson's return from injury is pretty incredible. 

They are an interesting cultural question on sports fandom... that first season they sort of came out of nowhere to blitz the Western Conference and then beat a depleted Cavs team.  They were definitely more David than Goliath that year.  Then you had the 73 win team that lost the Finals.  I think opinion turned on them pretty hard when they added Durant to the team.

Now, as you say, they have the sort of "comeback kids" feel to them and are much more likable.  :dunno: 

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

They are an interesting cultural question on sports fandom... that first season they sort of came out of nowhere to blitz the Western Conference and then beat a depleted Cavs team.  They were definitely more David than Goliath that year.  Then you had the 73 win team that lost the Finals.  I think opinion turned on them pretty hard when they added Durant to the team.

Now, as you say, they have the sort of "comeback kids" feel to them and are much more likable.  :dunno: 

Nobody liked them with Durant, because they basically killed the NBA for 3 years.  If the Warriors stayed healthy, they would win the championship, which is exactly what happened in 2017 and 2018.  BOOORING.  The NBA is at its best when great players have to elevate their game to match the moment.  Like Giannis last year or Lebron in 2015 and 2016.  But the Warriors didn't need to elevate their game at all.  They won in 2017 and 2018 in spite of not playing particularly good team ball, they could beat everyone without ever really pushing themselves.  And what's the fun in that?  It's like watching the Harlem Globetrotters without any tricks. 

33 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Nobody liked them with Durant, because they basically killed the NBA for 3 years.  If the Warriors stayed healthy, they would win the championship, which is exactly what happened in 2017 and 2018.  BOOORING.  The NBA is at its best when great players have to elevate their game to match the moment.  Like Giannis last year or Lebron in 2015 and 2016.  But the Warriors didn't need to elevate their game at all.  They won in 2017 and 2018 in spite of not playing particularly good team ball, they could beat everyone without ever really pushing themselves.  And what's the fun in that?  It's like watching the Harlem Globetrotters without any tricks. 

And yet the fall and rebirth has been fascinating to watch. Is there any comp to it? 

Anyways, I think the Warriors are incredibly likable, but that's in part because I find heels like Draymond to be a joy. The only thing to not like about them is their ownership, and really you could say that about almost any CEO in Silicon Valley.

I'm also surprised anyone would say Boston is unlikable. What Stevens did is fairly unusual and should be commended. Udoka's story is incredible and he's already one of the best coaches in the league. Tatum seems like a worthy superstar to lead a champion. Brown and Big Al, anti-vax stuff aside, seem like great dudes, Smart embodies winning basketball even if some nights I wonder if I could shoot better than him and the two Williams are fun to watch for exactly the opposite reasons. 

I still think the Warriors can pull this out, they're two bad fourth quarters away from a 3-0 lead, but if Boston does win you can't really call it a fluke given the journey they've been on (and also a great example of why you shouldn't write off a team midway through the season). 

Ime Udoka's coaching has been terrific, and the defensive work of both teams has been right out of the top drawer.

I think the Warriors are a little less likeable without Shaun Livingston or Javale McGee, who were both a joy to watch play under Kerr.  I like Warriors-version Andrew Wiggins a lot, but Livingston and a healthy Klay were terrific foils to the emergent Curry.

I heard a talking head on ESPN radio this morning make a decent point (Crazy... I know!!!!!)

He said that we may look back at this GS run and say that Jamal Murray was out for the first series with Denver and then Ja was hurt for most of the Memphis series and Phoenix had injury issues off and on in their series as well, so we may look back and say that this GS team really wasn't quite as title ready as we thought.

:dunno: 

Archived