NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

I want more minutes for Poole. While I understand the impact to the defense, he’s the only one conducting a transition offense with any aggressiveness or threat. Force the Celtics to adjust and let Curry find his own opportunity instead of spending energy trying to do it on his own which is what the offense is right now.

Tatum had some nice statistics, but overall he was useless. I thought Brown scored way more than 21, he looked amazing at times, but it seems like once again he just flashed for a period. 

Klay and Green were dreadful, but Poole was finally a plus and Wiggins was solid. 

Who fucking knows what will happen Monday.

6 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Warriors should have an easier time of it if the refs calls that game the same way they did for the Celtics this game. 

You could say that about all four games. The Celtics getting the championship treatment is downright weird. 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

2/3/2 isn't happening this year. Game five is in the Bay.

I know, I'm saying if the warriors don't hold serve at home, it's probably over.

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I know, I'm saying if the warriors don't hold serve at home, it's probably over.

And all the talking heads seemed to say that tonight's winner had the series in the bag.

I don't think any of us can predict what will happen next.

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol:

Was listening to the BS podcast and Simmons was mentioning the follow Green stats:

2015-2019 Green: 13 , 10 and 7, 44% shooting and 31% from 3 and 3.7 FT attempts

2022 Green playoffs: 8, 7 and 6,20% from 3 and 2.4 FT attempts

Its what we have been seeing for a few years.

18 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Was listening to the BS podcast and Simmons was mentioning the follow Green stats:

2015-2019 Green: 13 , 10 and 7, 44% shooting and 31% from 3 and 3.7 FT attempts

2022 Green playoffs: 8, 7 and 6,20% from 3 and 2.4 FT attempts

Its what we have been seeing for a few years.

Green's traditional accounting numbers were never very good and they have clearly declined in the last few years, but he's one of the odd cases that's hard to measure. Draymond's impact on the Warriors defense is huge (though he's also been bad on that end this series) and his ability to be a primary ball handler plays an integral role in setting up their half court offense. I'm not sure there's anyone else on the roster at this point that can do that (compared to their peak run when they could role out three dudes other than Curry who could reliably bring the ball up, Klay being the only player who couldn't). 

Nutty stat. Curry is shooting 45% on uncontested 3's. He's shooting over 50% on contested ones. The narrative that he doesn't bring it in the Finals is forever dead in my book, especially when you also take into account Green might be having the worst Finals performance ever from a key player who gets significant minutes. 

You can make an argument that Curry was lackluster in 2015, because it was his first Finals and he looked tight.  He was not nearly as good in the 2016 Finals as he was in the 2016 regular season, although he was still pretty good.  In 2017-18, he was fine, but never that amazing, but since they won those two Finals in a grand total of 9 games, it's hard to have a really "vintage moment". 

But the idea that Curry couldn't bring it in the Finals should have been buried in 2019.  Klay and Durant both got hurt, and that team had no depth.  Livingston was on his last legs and retired after that series, but still got a start.  Quinn Cook got 15 minutes a game and he's back in the G league now (at age 29).  Demarcus Cousins got almost 20 mpg!  Iguodala was limping out there and still earned 31 mpg. And yet the Warriors still pushed it to 6 games and were competitive throughout.  The 2022 team is pretty limited offensively, but the 2019 team without Thompson and Durant was clearly worse.  The only offense they had was Curry and whoever was left wide open because they were doubling Curry. 

Archived