NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

Organizations matter. Wiggins in GS is night and day from the dumpster fire I got stuck rooting for.

ETA: I can't believe Payton is playing, let alone making significant contributions. 15 points, 5 boards and 3 steals off the bench is huge for a guy who should be playing with one arm.

So that's only Boston's second back to back loss since March if I heard the radio correctly, and I believe that one came when they were shorthanded. Kind of incredible when you think about it. I picked Warriors in six, but I think this one is coming back to the Bay on Sunday. 

Yeah home court advantage is key to the series I think. I expect Boston to win inGame 6 despite a good Warriors showing.

Had the Celtics won tonight, I would have expected them to win Game 6 and close it out. 

That’s why you play the game.

I didn't follow the game too closely especially in the second half, but thought that the Celtics missed a bunch of makeable shots although they did manage to score in bunches at times. That and their turnovers. And both teams not making any threes.

Nice buzzer beater by Poole at the end of the third. Thought that Wiggins took too long and it was a bit lucky but it left on time and went in and thats what counts.

Basketball can be a funny game.  If you said that the Warriors would shoot 22% from deep, Green would foul out, and Looney would play just 16 minutes due to foul trouble, that sounds like a loss for sure. 

But the Celtics turned the ball over 18 times, missed 10 free throws, and shot just 41% overall.  That is not good enough, even on a night when Curry and the Warriors were ice cold from deep. 
The Warriors actually shot 67% on two point fgs for the game.  Lots of sneaky layups and short runners. 

Interesting trade:

The Dallas Mavericks are acquiring center/power forward Christian Wood from the Houston Rockets in exchange for the No. 26 pick in the 2022 NBA draft and four players with expiring contracts, sources told ESPN.

Dallas will send Boban Marjanovic, Marquese Chriss, Trey Burke and Sterling Brown to Houston, sources said, creating roster flexibility and adding a productive big man.

So no Gobert and the massive deal attached to him, but Christian Wood. This makes sense for both sides but for Dallas this is a nice upgrade.

Apparently the Bulls are interested in Gobert and are offering Vucevic plus others for him.

Wood is a good player, this seems like a great deal for Dallas.  I'm not sure that him alone is going to close the gap between the Mavs and the Warriors (which was pretty wide in their playoff series), but it's a good start. 

30 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Wood is a good player, this seems like a great deal for Dallas.  I'm not sure that him alone is going to close the gap between the Mavs and the Warriors (which was pretty wide in their playoff series), but it's a good start. 

Luka being a year better and Steph, Klay and Draymond being a year worse may do that.

And sometimes it's enough that you are trending in the right direction and keeping your superstar happy. 

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Luka being a year better and Steph, Klay and Draymond being a year worse may do that.

And sometimes it's enough that you are trending in the right direction and keeping your superstar happy. 

Yeah, maybe.  Draymond certainly.  There's hope that Klay might be better with more time since his injury.  Steph...perhaps his usage will start to decline as he gets older, but he isn't exactly old, so that might be a few years off. 

I don't know, Wood has been hyped since he was in Detroit but don't think he was ever consistent enough. Regardless, they now have to pay Wood and Brunson and I guess they still have Hardaway and Dimwiddie on the roster. And Kleber. They're solid veterans but they aren't likely to take another leap at their age.

Meanwhile the Warriors still have Poole, maybe Kuminga and Moody can start to play meaningful minutes and whatever they get from Wiseman.

That is not to say Gobert would have been better; he'd cost them more in assets and he's also making the supermax. But maybe the surplus of point guards in Dallas would have been better at feeding him so that he can still be a potent offensive force despite his zero shot creation abilities. 

Anyway, its not just the Warriors you have to worry about. There's the Nuggets and Clippers hopefully healthy next season, Grizzlies and Wolves coming up, maybe the Pelicans and Lakers can cobble together a good season but hopefully the Jazz and Suns implode?

It's not much better out East either.

My recollection is hazy, but even putting aside the Warriors + KD and however long LeBron dominated the East, I don't think the league has ever been this competitive in recent years. Or maybe I'm just forgetting teams before and being overly optimistic on the teams now.

There is no Team to Beat right now.  In the NBA, there are often one or two teams that are clearly head and shoulders above all others.  Most recently that would be the '15-'19 Warriors and '15-'17 Cavs.  Right now there isn't any team like that.  And that's about as good as "parity" gets in the NBA.  There are maybe ten teams that are one all star pickup + good team chemistry away from winning a championship.  That is a lot more than usual (hell, you could argue that in 2018 that list was just GSW, CLE and HOU). 

Yeah, I think that's it. There aren't any obvious 1-2 seeds now, but it feels like there are 6 teams in each conference competing for what would have been the 3-4 seeds then and another 4 teams coming for the 5-6 seeds.

Whereas previously 1-2 seeds were the only realistic contenders and 7-8 seeds almost wish they were in the lottery instead.

Warriors with 21 in a row.  Making shots and playing even better defense.  I know the Celtics can play some great ball, but they need to get it going soon or they are gonna be out of chances.

Archived