NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Good for the Warriors.  Really wishing 8 year old me decided on the Bay Area basketball team as my favorite instead of getting swept up in the Magic.

If you root for a shit team it's okay to be a fan of greatness elsewhere. 

And it's official, Curry is MVP. Top 10 All-Time now? I've got him over Kobe and The Dream. 

I don't see how he could be anything less than top 10.  He's changed the game.  

This series was also a great example of how Curry's offense is so good, he allowed the warriors to load up on defense.  You can surround him with 4 lackluster offensive threats and even against a great defensive team and the defensive MVP, he'll still keep the offense going.  Plenty of all time greats can't do that.  Kobe definitely couldn't.  

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you root for a shit team it's okay to be a fan of greatness elsewhere. 

Point is it was a choice when I was 8, it isn't now.  My interest in baseball, basketball, and football is very dependent on the quality of my respective favorite teams at the time.

It's interesting to consider the Warriors run. Four titles in eight years, and they were really only beaten once and it took the second best player ever to have maybe the best three game stretch ever. They should have won another title in 19 and who knows what they would have been in 20 and 21 if not for injuries. To bookend it from 15 to 22 with the same core is so insanely impressive.

And Curry is the straw the stirs the drink in such a unique way. Even when he went 0-9, while on the court the Warriors offensive ratings were off the charts and everyone around him was shooting collectively at over 60% while when he was off the court they were under 30%.

In my book Curry just leaped not only Kobe and Dream, but maybe also Bird and Duncan. How you compare him to the scared two, Russell and Wilt, is hard to deal with, both those aside MJ, LBJ, Kareem, Magic, Shaq and then who do you have ahead of him based on what he's done, at that size and considering his impact on the game? No wrong answers, but that's how much he's just leaped. 

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Point is it was a choice when I was 8, it isn't now.  My interest in baseball, basketball, and football is very dependent on the quality of my respective favorite teams at the time.

You do have an eclectic sports fandom. Pick a funny team to root for in the EPL to make it that much more interesting. :P

Smart won defensive MVP and yet he was at best the third best defensive player in the series behind Williams and Wiggins.  And I feel like I could make a case for Brown and even Payton as well.  Not a strong showing for Smart.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You do have an eclectic sports fandom. Pick a funny team to root for in the EPL to make it that much more interesting. :P

Think I've mentioned this before, but if I ever got into soccer I'd probably just adopt my brother's favorite team - Tottenham (which he himself adopted because it was a mutual friend's favorite team).  The three of us played a lot of drunken FIFA about a decade ago.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Think I've mentioned this before, but if I ever got into soccer I'd probably just adopt my brother's favorite team - Tottenham (which he himself adopted because it was a mutual friend's favorite team).  The three of us played a lot of drunken FIFA about a decade ago.

I came down to picking between Chelsea, Man City and Tottenham. If you like to win, it's maybe not the best of the three, but you'll feel better about it than the other two. Only took me a season and a half to really start to like the sport. I'd really recommend giving it a shot. It's a good bit of fun to get drunk to during quality matches.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a good bit of fun to get drunk to during quality matches.

I actually do watch a good amount of soccer with my brother.  Even after we moved to Pitt (while the friend stayed in Florida), we'd still watch a good amount at bars as my brother found another soccer compatriot in one of my closest grad school buddies - a Mancunian.  Actually, he came back to the states just a few weeks ago to apply for a visa.  The three of us watched the champions league final at bdubs - along with some random dude from Barcelona who ended buying us about half a dozen shots.  I still just mostly watched the Yanks game on another TV.  Funny end to that story - my brother tested positive for covid two days later.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I came down to picking between Chelsea, Man City and Tottenham. If you like to win, it's maybe not the best of the three, but you'll feel better about it than the other two

No. Recently and historically Chelsea have been a horrible club. It was the worst of the 3 to pick if 'feeling better' was the reason. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

No. Recently and historically Chelsea have been a horrible club. It was the worst of the 3 to pick if 'feeling better' was the reason. 

They are literally a year removed from winning the CL...

Anyways, I was saying the Spurs of Europe were the team you could feel best rooting for, not Chelsea or City.

18 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't know, Wood has been hyped since he was in Detroit but don't think he was ever consistent enough. Regardless, they now have to pay Wood and Brunson and I guess they still have Hardaway and Dimwiddie on the roster. And Kleber. They're solid veterans but they aren't likely to take another leap at their age.

Meanwhile the Warriors still have Poole, maybe Kuminga and Moody can start to play meaningful minutes and whatever they get from Wiseman.

That is not to say Gobert would have been better; he'd cost them more in assets and he's also making the supermax. But maybe the surplus of point guards in Dallas would have been better at feeding him so that he can still be a potent offensive force despite his zero shot creation abilities. 

Wood was great in Detroit, but not so much on a terrible Houston team. We will see what he can do on a team that actually competes for a title, I expect he will see a lot of minutes instead of Dwight Powell.

And of course GS future looks very bright. Maybe Wiseman will actually be fit, and Kuminga looks excellent.

Plus if Wiggins can keep this up he's a keeper as well, only 27 years old, like LaVine.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Don't do this to yourself. And never say that in public. Best free advice you'll ever get on the internet. 

Archived