NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

On 6/26/2022 at 1:49 AM, Maithanet said:

Suns being a target for Irving?  I can't see that at all.  For one, the Suns are usually pretty cheap and Irving isn't gonna come cheap.  For two they already have an extremely skilled but unreliable point guard in Paul.  After you talking about the Suns trading Paul for Irving?  I'm not sure Paul would be ok with that (he'd have to talk to Durant first at the very least).  And if they aren't keeping Ayton, a Booker/Irving paper is gonna be horrific defensively.

No no, I was talking about Durant trades, not Kyrie.

Suggestions that were given that could be plausible were Chicago ( they'd have to give up either De Rozan or LaVine, and if I was Chicago I would not give up the latter because he needs to be paired with Durant IMO in order for it to work), Phoenix ( Ayton to Brooklyn), Memphis ( would probably have to give up JJJ and some of their picks).

Of course, the Heat would love to be involved in that discussion too.

Kyrie opts in for his final year in Brooklyn.  He could still be traded, but probably not.  They'll probably run it back and see if they can incorporate Simmons.  A team with Simmons running the defense and Durant/Irving on offense sounds decent.  Probably not good enough to beat the bucks or Celtics, but right on that next tier.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:11 PM, Rhom said:

I love it! :lol: 

Have you listened to the episode of ESPN Daily where Pablo Torre investigates Rose's claim that he's the first Jalen?

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Kyrie opts in for his final year in Brooklyn.  He could still be traded, but probably not.  They'll probably run it back and see if they can incorporate Simmons.  A team with Simmons running the defense and Durant/Irving on offense sounds decent.  Probably not good enough to beat the bucks or Celtics, but right on that next tier.

Doesn't sound like there's a big market for him on a max deal and his only other option was taking a MLE to go to either LA team. A sign and trade is still very on the table, but it's going to probably require a third team to be included. That said, I really like a small ball lineup of those three and Curry and Harris. Defense will be an issue, but they'll score like crazy.

If Kyrie does leave I think Boston should be the most aggressive team pursuing him. Brown, three firsts and a few swaps should be enough given his age and that team would probably be the favorite next year, especially if they can also acquire a more traditional PG and move Smart to the 2.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If Kyrie does leave I think Boston should be the most aggressive team pursuing him. Brown, three firsts and a few swaps should be enough given his age and that team would probably be the favorite next year, especially if they can also acquire a more traditional PG and move Smart to the 2.

Er, do you mean Durant here?

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What the fuck

ETA: Ha ha, posted before I read further, I was just that incensed. Carry on.

John Wall agrees to a buyout with the Rockets and has already signed with the clippers.  That could be a big pickup for LAC, they are gonna be a good team next year if they can stay healthy.

Yeah thats a big get for them. I liked Wall when Houston allowed him to be on the court.

With Kyrie opting in....I guess that means no Durant trade and they give it 1 more year. They really need to fill out that roster in free agency, and they really need Simmons to actually be good.

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Yeah thats a big get for them. I liked Wall when Houston allowed him to be on the court.

With Kyrie opting in....I guess that means no Durant trade and they give it 1 more year. They really need to fill out that roster in free agency, and they really need Simmons to actually be good.

Durant/Irving/Simmons is enough top end talent to win a championship.  They just need to make sure they have at least 4 other guys who can play playoff minutes without getting embarrassed.  Last year those guys weren't good enough (amongst plenty of other things that went wrong).  But I don't know how much room Brooklyn has to improve their roster either.  They do have some picks to work with from the Harden trade, although they might want to hang on to those. 

Harden opts out, so we know he's got a tentative deal worked out with at least one team that's richer than his current deal. Might be a lower AAV, but the overall guaranteed money is probably going to be way more than he's worth.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Harden opts out, so we know he's got a tentative deal worked out with at least one team that's richer than his current deal. Might be a lower AAV, but the overall guaranteed money is probably going to be way more than he's worth.

Well apparently he's doing it to re-negotiate his contract and give the Sixers more financial flexibility to pursue players that will give them a better shot at a title. Sixers fans appear to be stoked.

7 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Well apparently he's doing it to re-negotiate his contract and give the Sixers more financial flexibility to pursue players that will give them a better shot at a title. Sixers fans appear to be stoked.

Everything depends on the length of the contract and how it scales. He can take a little less right now so Philly can sign and/or trade for a a few more parts, but don't be surprised if it's a longer deal with him getting pay a ton when he's past his prime. We'll probably find out quickly what it is and I think that will determine who won the trade. 

Pretty shocking news. Two months ago he posted a picture of himself with lean and a blunt - he claimed it was pink lemonade and a cigarette - and I was surprised that news didn't even make waves in basketball media. Todays news is career ending, in my opinion, assuming a guilty verdict.

5 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Pretty shocking news. Two months ago he posted a picture of himself with lean and a blunt - he claimed it was pink lemonade and a cigarette - and I was surprised that news didn't even make waves in basketball media. Todays news is career ending, in my opinion, assuming a guilty verdict.

Oh how the times have changed, huh?

6 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

A what? 

Archived