NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It is, I have no idea why anyone is into it, but it used to be super popular on the rap scene. There's a lot of popular songs celebrating it.  

If I remember correctly, Jamarcus Russell was into it too.

Lean is another term for Purple Drink - a drink made with codeine, basically a drinkable and extremely addictive opiate cocktail. Three 6 Mafia rapped about it a bunch (Sippin on Some Syrup etc). Not as affecting as heroin but a similar stupefying high - hence you lean or slouch once you're messed up enough. 

One tweet on its own isn't terrible, but the NBA definitely doesn't want "opoid addiction" to be in a conversation about its players. Regardless, the domestic abuse is far more of an issue as of today.

Edit: oops reading on phone didn't see Ty covered this. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

A what? 

I had to google it. It’s soda mixed with cough syrup (containing codeine) and soda. Apparently it provides a high that is popular in the southern US (mostly for teenagers I’m guessing).

Edit: on phone and don’t see the latest replies either…

Wow. KD has requested to be traded from the Nets, and apparently the Nets are working with him on that.

Kevin Durant has requested a trade out of Brooklyn, Shams Charania reports. 

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski adds that Nets GM Sean Marks is working with Durant and his business manager Rich Kleiman on finding a trade. The KD rumors evaporated when Kyrie Irving picked up his option, but now several NBA teams will be scrambling to put together trade packages to acquire one of the best players of the past decade. While no specific team has been mentioned by Shams or Woj just yet, it's worth noting that the odds for Deandre Ayton to Brooklyn have skyrocketed which may be related to this. 

Landing spots I would like that could somehow be plausible? Dallas, to pair with Luka. Maybe Phoenix or Chicago. 

It is going to take a colossal trade to fetch Durant.  He's 33 and under contract for 4 more seasons.  He looked like the best player in the league in the 2021 playoffs (much less so in 2022, obviously).  Most teams would trade themselves out of contention just to get him.

It definitely sounds like Phoenix is the answer, as it sounds like what Durant wants and would be one of the better packages the Nets might get. Ayton on a sign-and-trade, Bridges and a billion picks. The Nets would have Ayton/Simmons/Bridges/[Kyrie's haul assuming he's also moved now] and still a lot of capital to re-tool quickly and erase this last 3 years of Durant-led bullshit.

7 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

It definitely sounds like Phoenix is the answer, as it sounds like what Durant wants and would be one of the better packages the Nets might get. Ayton on a sign-and-trade, Bridges and a billion picks. The Nets would have Ayton/Simmons/Bridges/[Kyrie's haul assuming he's also moved now] and still a lot of capital to re-tool quickly and erase this last 3 years of Durant-led bullshit.

I agree that seems like a trade that could work.  The Nets would have quite a retooling at that point, but Simmons + Ayton is an intriguing pairing.  Both guys have the talent to be #1 draft picks and at times have showed elite NBA skills, but lack the complete package.  I honestly don't know if that team could work at all, but it's at least got some potential. 

Durant mentioned the Suns and Heat as potential destinations.  I don't really know what the Heat could offer Brooklyn.  Herro and Adebayo?  That is not nearly enough for Durant.  I don't think the Heat have a ton of picks to trade away either. 

Damnit I was being productive until this news hit, now I can't f5 realGM and The Athletic live feed and other sites (and this thread) fast enough to keep up with all the speculation.

I hope the Bulls get something out of of all this madness that's likely to spread across multiple teams to make trades work.

Just now, Argonath Diver said:

Damnit I was being productive until this news hit, now I can't f5 realGM and The Athletic live feed and other sites (and this thread) fast enough to keep up with all the speculation.

I hope the Bulls get something out of of all this madness that's likely to spread across multiple teams to make trades work.

He’s gonna go to Phoenix.  Lock that shit in. 

They certainly are the name being thrown around right now, but there's complications with the money since Ayton's rookie extension something or other contract makes straight salary trades wonky. Depending on what happens it seems likely that other teams may get pulled in. Irving's going to get dumped now as well, and that could also be a multi-team affair once the dust settles.

There's a lot wrong with the NBA these days, but damn do I love all the off-season drama and trade speculation stuff like this. 

So if we're talking about the two worst trades of the past 10 years, the Nets may have made BOTH of them?  The 2021 Harden trade isn't worse than the Pierce/Garnett one, but it still feels worse than any other trade I can think of.  Maybe OKC trading Harden in the 2012 offseason was worse, but we'll see where those picks end up. 

Archived