NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

On the subject of, "Is Rudy Golbert Useless in the Playoffs?"

First, the Jazz defense was worse than I thought. But it's a collective responsibility. The coach has to set up the scheme, players have to hold up on their end and execute, and maybe Gobert has the responsibility of making the calls on defense? Players like Draymond or Gasol seem to have the reputation of being able to organise the defense. 

Second, the primary problem with Gobert is his offense. I can't believe they skipped his most glaring flaw. He's a good finisher but is completely dependent on his teammates setting him up. He's also an okay passer if his teammates make themselves open. But if he's stuck holding the ball for more than a couple of seconds, then it's a turnover. If he puts the ball down to dribble, he might as well be handing it over to the other team.

Third, matchups and replacements matter. I think that with a lot of teams, its hard to find a reliable backup center and generally the defense craters when the starting center is taken out with foul trouble. I thought Favors did a great job the past couple of years, will be curious to see his defensive stats vs Whiteside.

And Zubac might have a better rating than Gobert, but my lasting impression was how Doncic played him off the floor last year. His stats might not look as good if he actually played. 

I was reading someone questioning whether the Wolves would have a challenging time on D if teams strategize to make Gorbert and Kat chase out to the 3pt line when both Gorbert and Kat are on the floor at the same time?

It's going to be a super interesting experiment against high motion offenses.

On offense they should be a high scoring team you'd think. I like the collection of talent. We just have to see if they work together. 

It's BOOM or BUST for Minnesota.

On Durant, I don't see what Brooklyn can get back in a Miami trade where we are hearing KD say he only wants to go there if they keep their core of Lowry, Bam and Butler together?

There would have to be a 3-4 team exchange involved with multiple moved assets to get there. We shall see what these GM's cook up.

Eta: Fuck Kyrie

I dont think he's going to Miami, a deal just doesnt seem viable, they have to give up so much.

And why on earth Lowry would still be relevant is beyond me, he's been a shell of himself all year and is done.

@Proudfeet

Yes when free agency is done, we might conclude that the weirdest thing that actually happened, is the Nuggets signing deandre Jordan to a new deal. No team where he has played, has wanted to retain him.

Detroit with all that salary cap, basicly punted it to next off season where they will have over $70 million available.

Weavers thinking must be one more year for the 20 yr olds to develope, one more high draft pick and then open the wallet for aquisitions. Looks like we avoided a train wreck with "Lean" Bridges lol.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

That was the crazy thing about Jordan's last two seasons as a Bull.  It was only $30 million then $33 million, but compared to other players' salaries as a percentage, he kinda did.  

I had a blast watching the Jordan episode of Thinking Basketball late last night. His ability to jump a foot higher than the guy defending him was absolutely hilarious.

Fun side note, the first game I ever saw in person was MJ's Bulls against KG in his rookie season. 103-100.

20 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not a knock on him but why is there so little difference between superstars and 'quite good' in salary in the nba? 

Because teams who think they're one piece away from contention overpay for second tier players and set the market, I would guess.

Just read an article that GS are considering offering Wiggins, Poole, Kuminga and Wiseman for KD.

That can't be true, why would you gut a defending champion team for someone that age? Who has already proven to be a big baby!

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just read an article that GS are considering offering Wiggins, Poole, Kuminga and Wiseman for KD.

That can't be true, why would you gut a defending champion team for someone that age? Who has already proven to be a big baby!

So wait… he walked away from them allowing them to get nothing in return, not even a sign and trade IIRC and now I’m supposed to believe they would gut a championship team to bring him back?!!!?

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

So wait… he walked away from them allowing them to get nothing in return, not even a sign and trade IIRC and now I’m supposed to believe they would gut a championship team to bring him back?!!!?

Are you high? He did a sign and trade so they could get Russell, and he in turn was traded to Minny for Wiggins and the pick that led to Kuminga. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

When you think about it, Wiseman hasn't played, Kuminga barely played, Poole was a liability and Wiggins was decent. They'd be scarf icing some depth, but overall they'd be much better. And they'd be maximizing Curry's window which should be their top priority. 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

A team with Curry, Green, Thompson, and Durant has demonstrated that it can win championships fairly easily.  The warriors are in the business of winning championships, so I can't blame them for that move.

That said, I would hate that deal, it is almost as bad as the last time Durant went there.  But I don't think that's gonna happen because that isn't a great trade for Brooklyn.  Wiggins is great in Golden State, but he'll probably go back to being just a guy somewhere else.  And the two big men probably aren't that great if GSW is ready to get rid of them.

38 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

A team with Curry, Green, Thompson, and Durant has demonstrated that it can win championships fairly easily.  The warriors are in the business of winning championships, so I can't blame them for that move.

That said, I would hate that deal, it is almost as bad as the last time Durant went there.  But I don't think that's gonna happen because that isn't a great trade for Brooklyn.  Wiggins is great in Golden State, but he'll probably go back to being just a guy somewhere else.  And the two big men probably aren't that great if GSW is ready to get rid of them.

I think the Warriors have mentioned multiple times that they want to transition like the Spurs had Duncan to Parker to Kawhi. Getting Durant will be putting a clear expiry date on the team.

If they don't make the trade, they can probably look to all four of the players mentioned contributing after Curry/Green/Klay. They might not pan out in the long run, but at least Wiggins and Poole look ready to contribute now. Don't think Kuminga or Wiseman have had many minutes so far, but both were drafted pretty high so at least they have high hopes for them.

Also, Wiggins would work great in Aaron Gordon's role. All it takes is having Curry or Jokic. :lol:

There's definitely talk of GS and the Raptors being interested.

Raptors would deal Siakam, Anonoby and multiple picks or maybe even Barnes.

But I think you have to keep Barnes at least to have that team be of interest to Durant and compete.

I'd like to keep Siakam too if I were them, he can be paired with Durant.

Golden State can go either of 2 ways here. They either stick what what seems to be the succession plan, which is Curry/Thompson for a few more years with Kuminga, Wiggins, Poole, or you trade those 3 guys for a better chance at a repeat title with KD.

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

^^^It's possible this is confusing OKC with GS.

Raise your hands if you want Kyrie, AD, Lebron, Harden, Simmons or KD on your team next year for a cool $50 million or so annually.

Oh and don't let me forget none of them can be bothered to hold up there end of those contracts.

If they want out they will poison all wells to get their way, one only plays road games, another plays no games cuz feelings hurt and a third is injured all year and one of their teams didn't even make the play in, while still another of these players teams was swept in round one.

Poison pills the lot of them, they will put you in luxury tax, you'll mortgage your future draft picks and they are one hurt feeling away from not even suiting up. I'lll pass on all these fragile egos. 

11 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Raise your hands if you want Kyrie, AD, Lebron, Harden, Simmons or KD on your team next year for a cool $50 million or so annually.

Oh and don't let me forget none of them can be bothered to hold up there end of those contracts.

LeBron lived up to every contract he signed and never demanded out. He resurrected the Cavs with his first two deals then brought championships to three different organizations while holding up his end of the bargain. Yes he was a diva at times and made some poor roster decisions, but he's not like any of the other names listed here. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

LeBron lived up to every contract he signed and never demanded out. He resurrected the Cavs with his first two deals then brought championships to three different organizations while holding up his end of the bargain. Yes he was a diva at times and made some poor roster decisions, but he's not like any of the other names listed here. 

Well he's covered on that list along with AD, as the team that didn't even make the play-in this season.

Anyways he's had a great past, he's not going to outplay his future contracts, I don't think any of them will be worth what they cost going forward.

Archived