NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

9 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Well he's covered on that list along with AD, as the team that didn't even make the play-in this season.

Anyways he's had a great past, he's not going to outplay his future contracts, I don't think any of them will be worth what they cost going forward.

KD will be. He's still got a few years left of his prime. What it will cost to get him will make you winch, but it's worth it for the right team (*cough Memphis *cough*).

And it would be really runny to see him end up with LeBron on the Lakers just because it will piss a bunch of people off.

It feels like what Phoenix can offer sounds fair, but perhaps another team can pull off more than Ayton, Bridges and a truckload of not great picks.

Miami cant deal unless Bam unless he goes to another team than the Nets...and what else they have is not very appetizing I think.

Raptors have a potentially interesting package.

The Nets don't want that Phoenix offer. The Suns don't even want Ayton and Bridges looked poor in the playoffs. And why should the Nets accommodate KD after he nuked the team? Likewise the Raptors don't have much to offer unless they want to gut their team which makes no sense for either them or Durant.

The Nets need to sell KD on another team that can actually offer them something while still remaining a contender. 

17 hours ago, Calibandar said:

There's definitely talk of GS and the Raptors being interested.

Raptors would deal Siakam, Anonoby and multiple picks or maybe even Barnes.

But I think you have to keep Barnes at least to have that team be of interest to Durant and compete.

I'd like to keep Siakam too if I were them, he can be paired with Durant.

You could make an argument for trading Barnes as the only really valuable piece for Durant.  You'd have to find a way to match salaries, which would probably mean a third team involved.  Barnes is really good, but he's so young, he's not really on the same timeframe as Durant or the rest of the Raptors.  The problem is that I'm not sure that Durant alone would turn the Raptors into contenders.  But Toronto won a championship with Kawhi in basically the same fashion, and if this team kept all its other pieces aside from Barnes, it's not out of the question.

Would be a big risk though, Barnes can play. 

I think they really have to keep him in a Durant trade, because him and Durant, despite the age difference, would be a dangerous pairing. You would then also keep van Vleet and Trent, and try to find a decent center somewhere ( none of their existing ones cut it IMO). But the Nets apparently want a young all-star and neither Siakam or Anunoby is that.

The slight problem for me with a Phoenix trade is that I have a feeling that Paul is past it and that even if they get Durant, its basically going to be him and Booker  ( which is formidable), CP3 in a support role and then you have to hope you have some stuff left on that roster after the trade.

17 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

The slight problem for me with a Phoenix trade is that I have a feeling that Paul is past it and that even if they get Durant, its basically going to be him and Booker  ( which is formidable), CP3 in a support role and then you have to hope you have some stuff left on that roster after the trade.

They would need to go after another guard who can create, in this scenario. Otherwise, I agree, it wouldn't be enough. 

I wonder what Durant will do if the Nets can't find a satisfactory trade and the season starts.

Refuse to play like Simmons and Kawhi? Phone it in like Harden? Play as normal assuming that he doesn't get traded this next season and making the most of it? 

The Warriors trading for Durant, despite almost being guaranteed at least 1 more ring, rubs me so wrong. It sends a bad message to the younger players and to the “homegrown, winning” culture that they espouse. I’d rather keep Poole, Wiggins, Kuminga etc and make a run at it again even if it’s the harder road. They’ve proven they’ve got what it takes and if they eventually have to go through a Durant-led team in the West, then so be it, let the better team win.

Boston’s trade for Brogdan was the best move this off-season imo. Thought they’d try to shore up on Horford and Williams due to age and injuries but I imagine Ime will make this work. Gonna be a fun team to watch next year.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I think they really have to keep him in a Durant trade, because him and Durant, despite the age difference, would be a dangerous pairing. You would then also keep van Vleet and Trent, and try to find a decent center somewhere ( none of their existing ones cut it IMO). But the Nets apparently want a young all-star and neither Siakam or Anunoby is that.

I like that 26 and 27 year old all stars are not considered to be young all stars like van vleet and siakam are.

The raps are far more likely to be pushing the nets to take van vleet and trent Jr and a bunch of picks. Or og and trent and picks. From raps fan perspective I'd do either but I'd love the Fred one because I would like to see a team where legitimately the entire game there is no one playing who is under 6'7-6"8.

3 hours ago, WarGalley said:

The Warriors trading for Durant, despite almost being guaranteed at least 1 more ring, rubs me so wrong. It sends a bad message to the younger players and to the “homegrown, winning” culture that they espouse. I’d rather keep Poole, Wiggins, Kuminga etc and make a run at it again even if it’s the harder road. They’ve proven they’ve got what it takes and if they eventually have to go through a Durant-led team in the West, then so be it, let the better team win.

I still think that trade is fairly unlikely.  But the Warriors are doing their due diligence to see if they can get Durant back for relatively cheap, and that's what any team should be doing.

Why do you say that they are "almost guaranteed" to win at least one more ring?  It's certainly possible, but far from a guarantee.  The Celtics and Bucks will be back and probably better than last year.  And if any of the Suns/Grizz/Heat pick up Durant then they are going to be a very tough out as well. 

The Warriors lost two valuable rotation guys in Porter and Payton, and have replaced them with nothing special thus far.  Green is getting older and will probably be worse.  Thompson should/could be better, but there's no guarantee of that.  Curry's defense is going to start slipping soon; he can only make up for declining athleticism with veteran tricks for so long. 

I doubt you'd see Toronto give up Barnes on his rook contract to take on KD for the last few years of his bloated contract.

As I've maintained earlier I wouldn't take on any of these contract breakers unless there coming with multiple firsts.

IOW's, Brooklyn needs to be the payer if you want us to take your toxic assets.

Eta: They have zero leverage in any Kyrie or KD trade.

7 hours ago, WarGalley said:

The Warriors trading for Durant, despite almost being guaranteed at least 1 more ring, rubs me so wrong.

Idk about that. They got a number of breaks on this run and I would not expect them to be the favorite next year to even get out of the West. I doubt it's even 50/50 they win another in the next few years and that's the point when they'll have to break up their core.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I doubt you'd see Toronto give up Barnes on his rook contract to take on KD for the last few years of his bloated contract.

As I've maintained earlier I wouldn't take on any of these contract breakers unless there coming with multiple firsts.

IOW's, Brooklyn needs to be the payer if you want us to take your toxic assets.

Eta: They have zero leverage in any Kyrie or KD trade.

I'm completely out on Kyrie if I ran a team, but are you really suggesting that Brooklyn needs to send assets out to move KD? He's still a top 5ish player and will be at least top ten for a few more seasons. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm completely out on Kyrie if I ran a team, but are you really suggesting that Brooklyn needs to send assets out to move KD? He's still a top 5ish player and will be at least top ten for a few more seasons. 

No someone will bite on KD.

I'm saying someone would need to send ME picks to do it.

I get he's a future Hofer, but going forward I wouldn't gamble on him. Look at what the Nets got out of him in this current deal. He sat the entire 1st year injured, then he's bounced in the 1st round this year and now he wants out of town?

He's an outrageous risk, I wouldn't take it on.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

No someone will bite on KD.

I'm saying someone would need to send ME picks to do it.

I get he's a future Hofer, but going forward I wouldn't gamble on him. Look at what the Nets got out of him in this current deal. He sat the entire 1st year injured, then he's bounced in the 1st round this year and now he wants out of town?

He's an outrageous risk, I wouldn't take it on.

And you'd be dead wrong. Again, he's at worst one of the seven or eight best players on the planet and I'd probably place him 4th right now behind Giannis, Luka and Embiid. Tatum, Jokic, LeBron and Curry are right there with him. His value is still very high.

KD's contract is massive and massive hindrance on moving him. Brooklyn might want to make a fresh start with a clean rebuild, if they part with him. So younger players and draft picks are presumably the currency they want to paid in. In return they could offer to take the cap hit and retain parts of his wages. 

But yeah, they really got burned by signing KD.

Ty, if you pick KD over Jokic right now, then you are out of your mind. 

You could have said the same thing right before Brooklyn paid him to be injured an entire season.

You'll get no disagreement from me that KD could play at an ALL NBA level.  But is he gonna play out his contract if he comes to your team, or will want out when things aren't going as planned? I don't know that, I wouldn't risk him.

If he gets injured your carrying him and a huge amount of salary, look how that has killed the Lakers this year with AD.

Also what is it going to cost to get this guy? My answer is it will cost more than he's worth.

I will happily let someone else overpay.

Archived