NBA Finals - The Problem with Steph Curry

Maithanet

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Meh. Too late for that, all the Nets can do now is get the best deal possible, and not drag this out for ages.

They need to get a haul thats reasonable and start over with Simmons, the new star they will get etc.

Kyrie can take a one year break or a buy out eventually, if the Nets can't find a trade.

KD has four years and he's not getting any younger. He might sit like Simmons or phone it in like Harden, but the Nets might also convince him that it is in his best interests to play for them if they do manage to build a team that can support him.

The Nets are in a better position to wait it out. What do they have to lose? Some potential draft picks and a not so valued star after four years? The same offer today might be the same offer next year, maybe one pick less to offset the contract length. KD might be losing his salary for the year and more importantly, the rest of his prime.

_

If I were one of the other teams, I wouldn't trade any of my rookie stars and its not just for the long term outlook or fit with the team. If you are going all in, you need the salary cap space to fill any gaps left behind from the trade for KD. Maybe they will be capped out anyway, but rookie contracts offer the most value and flexibility.

All I can say is what a frikn train wreck Brooklyn's players have made of this franchise.

Normally I'm 100% taking the players side in labor/mgt issues, but no way can I support the faker, the flat earther and now they've rubbed off enough to make even Durant look like some kind of team wrecker.

The implosion they've left is staggering. The only bright spot I see is that they've brought down a filthy LARGE Market team.:D

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That's the contract of somebody who clearly has no interest in winning. 

Winning can be defined in a number of ways. I'd happily be a wasted talent for a shit corporation if I got paid like that.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That's the contract of somebody who clearly has no interest in winning. 

Maybe that's the intended result of the CBA. Make every team over invest in one player so that they either pay insane luxury tax or spread the talent around. It also helps to eliminate the older players as maximum salary goes up with tenure and the lowered competitiveness of the teams with older players lets the teams with young stars be more competitive and create a cycle of hype.

So our 1st rounder Ivey had a 20/6/6 outing his first game.

Tonight was his 2nd game, it looked like he was on his way to a monster night with 11pts and 2 assists in the first 5 minutes.

Unfortunately he came down on the defenders foot and twisted his ankle shooting a 3. Out for the rest of the night, sore as shit ankle guaranteed but doubt it's anything serious.

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

That's usually when you unwind/spend an estates asset's.

His sister is Chairperson to his trust, which the team is now held by.

And it seems like she's ignoring her brother's intent. Frankly I would do the same. Sure the teams will be sold and the money from said sales will go to charity, but when, nobody knows.

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So our 1st rounder Ivey had a 20/6/6 outing his first game.

Tonight was his 2nd game, it looked like he was on his way to a monster night with 11pts and 2 assists in the first 5 minutes.

Unfortunately he came down on the defenders foot and twisted his ankle shooting a 3. Out for the rest of the night, sore as shit ankle guaranteed but doubt it's anything serious.

I still can't believe he dropped to fifth. Some talking heads had him at the top of their draft board.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still can't believe he dropped to fifth. Some talking heads had him at the top of their draft board.

Not unbelievable at all. I saw some prognosticators mention Ivey as a dark horse to jump into the top 3, but other than guesswork, I saw zero smoke that any of those three teams had an inclination to overdraft him. He declined to work out for the maligned Kings entirely - as clear a "Fuck you don't look at me" as you can get. Murray is a lesser talent, and there seemed to be a lot of chatter that the Kings would trade down. But they're the Kings. Can't expect a good draft night out of them.

I absolutely think it's likely Ivey ends up a superior player to at least one of the three big men. 

On another note, I think it's kind of laughable that the NBA is giving rings to the winners of the Summer League - which is far closer to a cross-team scrimmage than an NBA game. It's fun to see when one guy gets a green light instead of developmental minutes, sure. But the entire SL is focused on identifying young assets' strengths in a controlled setting, not actually scoring more than the other team. A ring is silly.

I will not criticize the NBA on running the summer league though.

The G-League, Summer League, along with all the overseas franchises makes me respect the development avenues players have beyond NCAA.

Professional basketball is leaps and bounds beyond what the NFL can offer, which is shamefully a business model that relies on the NCAA and training camps to develop their employees.  It's a disgraceful model imo.

Both Basketball and Baseball are operating full fledged farm systems for their players. What is the NFL doing besides piggybacking off the NCAA?

My guess is that the majority of the NFL billionaire owners are getting their workforce freely trained off the public dole while not lifting a finger beyond this.

So any warts  to the NBA or MLB minor leagues are easily forgiven by me when I see them actually investing in their leagues, compared to a NFL that just throws its hand up and claims "There's nothing we can do" (Bullllshit).

Oh I absolutely enjoy the Summer League, same as I watch baseball's pre-season. In both, I couldn't care less if the Cardinals or Bulls actually 'win', I'm concentrating on certain players' efforts, whether it's a prospect I know nothing about, or a heralded future contributor trying to elevate a non-NBA part of his game. The coaches are generally doing the same. I just find it absurd to give them a ring, since these games' box scores are irrelevant compared to player development and evaluation.

22 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

On another note, I think it's kind of laughable that the NBA is giving rings to the winners of the Summer League - which is far closer to a cross-team scrimmage than an NBA game. It's fun to see when one guy gets a green light instead of developmental minutes, sure. But the entire SL is focused on identifying young assets' strengths in a controlled setting, not actually scoring more than the other team. A ring is silly.

I mean, I accumulated a lot of trophies at my annual basketball summer camps.  Granted, I was only 7 to 13 years old, but hey summer league is for rookies and young guys.

We watched Hustle on Netflix over the weekend. Stars Adam Sandler as a near burnt out basketball talent scout working for the Sixers. Lots of NBA cameos including Tyrese and most of the Philly roster. Anthony Edwards plays the primary antagonist in the draft process and his character plays for Kentucky. (Kinda ironic since he ran away from any sort of big schools in his real life collegiate experience!)

Great basketball movie. Blends Rocky with White Men Can't Jump. Has some harsh language, but my 11 year old has heard worse. We let him watch it and he geeked out at every cameo... sadly, he didn't recognize Dr. J but he immediately knew a couple of YouTube stars. :lol: 

Worth watching.

Archived