Video Games - Waiting for a New AAA Game (that isn't Elden Ring)

Gorn

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

Has anyone played Old World? Is it just a Civilization clone or does it have its own merits?

It has its own merits. I found it too hard though, and it really requires more military use over other strategies. 

The having order points thing is really cool though. 

18 minutes ago, psynetik123 said:

Summer Game Fest going on at the moment, will a whole slew of new games being announced, and yet it's crickets in here for some reason.........

Anything interesting?  I’ve not seen anything in my feed that gets me too worked up.

An Aliens tactics game called Dark Descent is on its way and could have a crack at being the best Aliens game ever. 

The makers of StarCraft 2 are making a new RTS at a new studio, having been stopped from making StarCraft 3 at Blizzard. Unfortunately, the new game Stormgate is going to be heavily multiplayer-focused with a free-to-play model (urgh).

Starfield and Redfall will get their first in-depth looks tomorrow. Some are hoping for more on Elder Scrolls VI but I doubt that will happen.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is getting some kind of announcement on the 16th, which everyone is hoping is a first look at Remake 2.

Goat Simulator 3 is coming, despite oddly there never being Goat Simulator 2.

Midnight Suns, the "Marvel Tactics" game, has a 7 October release date and has added Spider-Man to its roster.

The Last of Us, Part 1 (as it is now called) is coming to PC, and the remaster will hit PS5 in September.

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Final Fantasy VII Remake is getting some kind of announcement on the 16th, which everyone is hoping is a first look at Remake 2.

Probably just announcing Re-Intergrade where you can play a thrilling mission as Cait Sith!

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

could have a crack at being the best Aliens game ever. 

It's a top-down shooter, so that aint happening.

Just wish they would make an Alien Isolation 2. Too bad the first game sold so poorly so theres pretty much no hope of that happening either.

On 6/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, psynetik123 said:

Summer Game Fest going on at the moment, will a whole slew of new games being announced, and yet it's crickets in here for some reason.........

Personally, nothing shown in that first stream interested me in the slightest; except for a few already announced games: Midnight Sun, Darkide, etc.

I'm hoping the Xbox/Bethesda showcase has a bit more 'oomph' to it.

Apparently there was something yesterday called 'wholesome direct' which as you might expect is about a lot of nice, cozy games of various stripes. A few common ideas seem to be coming through: a lot of life sims as you might expect but also: three separate games about being a courier (at least- I'm getting this from a list of games that are announced for Switch, so there may be more postie games that aren't), and two about the world being out of paper (they shouldn't tread on each other's toes, though, as one looks like it's inspired by Mario Galaxy, whereas the other more by Carto).   

(I picked out three that I'm particularly interested in but it's worth seeing this list - or finding a more relevant one if Switch isn't your console- if anyone's into the whole indie thing coz there's lots there)

The art style on 30 birds is fantastic
Of course with indie games there's always the danger of getting hyped too early if they're unknown developers- sometimes it turns into a Baldo situation where they've clearly not had the experience or resources to live up to the ambition. But fingers crossed.

8 hours ago, psynetik123 said:

It's a top-down shooter, so that aint happening.

Just wish they would make an Alien Isolation 2. Too bad the first game sold so poorly so theres pretty much no hope of that happening either.

Looks like it's more like a top-town real-time tactics game, like Desperados or Weird West, more than a total action focus. It would probably be better as turn-based, but that might not capture the creeping horror of the setting. It's also a shame the Obsidian Aliens RPG was cancelled because that would have been interesting in the setting, and horror RPGs are thin on the ground (Alien Isolation spiritual sequel Prey is the only one that immediately comes to mind, and that lowballs some of the RPG elements).

The Xbox/Microsoft/Bethesda showcase starts today at 1pm ET/10am PT/6pm BST. Starfield is getting a major gameplay demo and reportedly there'll be a lot on RedfallAvowed may also show up and some reports that Hideo Kojima may have been tempted to make his next game (working title Overdose) an Xbox exclusive (at least timed). Otherwise more Forza and Halo stuff, and the possibly return of the Banjo Kazooie series.

I'm not expecting anything too thrilling. The idea that Elder Scrolls VI might show up I think is very optimistic thinking.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Looks like it's more like a top-town real-time tactics game, like Desperados or Weird West, more than a total action focus. It would probably be better as turn-based, but that might not capture the creeping horror of the setting. It's also a shame the Obsidian Aliens RPG was cancelled because that would have been interesting in the setting, and horror RPGs are thin on the ground (Alien Isolation spiritual sequel Prey is the only one that immediately comes to mind, and that lowballs some of the RPG elements).

One of the most terrifying games I've ever played is still UFO: Enemy Unknown. Pretty sure you can sell the horror in a turn based game.

Redfall looks fun. Left 4 Dead with vampires. An interesting change of direction from Arkane Austin.

High on Life from the Rick & Morty team looks fun, but having Roillard narrate his game in his actual Rick voice but isn't playing Rick in the game is odd.

Apparently all the games in the showcase will be released in the next 12 months.

They've added giraffes and Halo spaceships to Microsoft Flight Simulator. Which is cool I guess?

Starfield looks simultaneously like every single Bethesda game every and also not.

The fact you can land on every single planet (presumably excepting gas giants) and moon in the game and explore all of them is nuts. More than 1,000 planets in over 100 systems. I'm going to guess a lot of procgen and a fair number of those planets will be dull and worth doing only for crafting and base-building, but that's still way more than people were expecting in their most optimistic scenarios.

Having 100% customisable spaceships is also very, very cool.

Well now we know TES VI won't be coming in the next 12 months. :P

Starfield managed to grab me at the end with the scale and the ship building. It looks good and if the gameplay and narrative are engaging enough we're looking at hundreds of hours of play.

I think that Starfield gameplay video finally got me hyped up.  If it lives up to whats promised *cough Oblivion Radiant AI* it would be quite a game.  Now the question, do you buy it on release, or wait a year for it to be debugged?  I gotta wonder if Star Citizen is feeling any pressure at all, since scope-wise, this sounds similar, albeit without the multi-player.  With Starfield's release, we will have seen two generations of space exploration games released without so much as a projected completion year for SC.

I've not played a Bethesda game since messing a little bit with Daggerfall years ago when a friend had it, but I find that for whatever reason despite my love of fantasy and history that medieval fantasy type games don't do it for me, whereas Fall Out always seemed a bit too silly for my tastes. 

But this... this might be interesting. I guess science fiction settings appeal more for me for RPGs, what with Cyberpunk 2077 having taken a couple hundred hours of my life (and more to come once some DLC or the expansion arrives).

Oh, and for those who missed it, here's the trailer for Obsidian's Pentiment:

Archived