Video Games - Waiting for a New AAA Game (that isn't Elden Ring)

Gorn

15 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I need to get back to TW3. I loved it but when I got to the City I somehow got a bit overwhelmed and bounced off. That was ages ago. 

I also need to get into Disco Elysium which has been sitting on my Switch for a couple months now, only a couple hours played.

I enjoyed Disco Elysium because it was very different to my usual video game diet. It had some annoying elements, but most games do. It's a game I will only ever play once, mostly because it's not my usual video game diet, but I would encourage anyone who likes to try different things from time to time to give it a go. The problem with it not being my usual fare is that I don't know if people who are really into this style of game think it's awesome.

17 hours ago, karaddin said:

I bounced off it the first time I tried as well. A big part of my issue with it is aesthetic, but still significant - the first major zone is a swamp. It's constantly raining, muddy and miserable and it really puts me off. For all that Night City in CP77 is a terrible dirty city with garbage bags everywhere etc, it's also gorgeous and breath taking. Graphically TW3 is fine but that lack of something beautiful to appreciate really made it harder to get into.

When I tried it again I did get over the hump and enjoyed it a lot, it's the reason I then gave CP77 a try though so I'm not sure how I would have received it if the order was reversed. I was already ok with 3rd person though so that's an extra hurdle for you. I found the Bloody Baron quest line mentioned above to be a bit overrated by the fandom but in a particular meta way, it's certainly where the game starts to show there's more meat to its narrative. The final zone of the second expansion finally gets you out of the terrible weather, it's sunny French wine country and demonstrated just how much of an impact that aesthetic choice was having on me lol.

@Martell Spy that "largest city in gaming" must be a statistic that predates CP77. Yes the city in TW3 is huge by gaming standards, Night City is most of the game and actually manages to feel like a real city. That's not a diss on the one in TW3, just acknowledgement that they're still improving.

Despite being a "big city", I found that there was surprisingly little to actually DO there, in Novigrad. I walked through it a few times, punched some mouthy priests, ate a steak, roughed up some rowdy locals, but otherwise, it's got nothing on Night City*. Then again, I think few games do. NC is awesomely vertical and compressed so many events, quests, stories, etc., into the city. (Being in first person probably helps.)

Not to say that Novigrad isn't gorgeously designed (gods is it ever) but it felt kind of...desolate to me, as most of the doors are inaccessible (not unlike many doors in NC) and aside from one or two plot quests that take Geralt there, I never spent much time there. Is this common for players of The Witcher 3?

* Not biased towards Cyberpunk 2077 at all. No siree. Not one bit. Nuh uh. Not me.

Some behind the scenes on Pentiment with Josh Sawyer and the art director. TL;DR: The game will cover ~25 years of the main character's life, and will involve his investigating or otherwise being involved in various mysteries and scandals.

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I enjoyed Disco Elysium because it was very different to my usual video game diet. It had some annoying elements, but most games do. It's a game I will only ever play once, mostly because it's not my usual video game diet, but I would encourage anyone who likes to try different things from time to time to give it a go. The problem with it not being my usual fare is that I don't know if people who are really into this style of game think it's awesome.

Its a game I recognise as being awesome and intelligent and incredibly well made.. yet I rarely play it and haven't gotten all that far through. I think the voice updates made it a lot more accessible because mostly it was like reading a book before then. I do feel the game is just a little bit too 'passive' for me and takes too much time for me with my schedule, so it's not really for me. 

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Despite being a "big city", I found that there was surprisingly little to actually DO there, in Novigrad. I walked through it a few times, punched some mouthy priests, ate a steak, roughed up some rowdy locals, but otherwise, it's got nothing on Night City*. Then again, I think few games do. NC is awesomely vertical and compressed so many events, quests, stories, etc., into the city. (Being in first person probably helps.)

Not to say that Novigrad isn't gorgeously designed (gods is it ever) but it felt kind of...desolate to me, as most of the doors are inaccessible (not unlike many doors in NC) and aside from one or two plot quests that take Geralt there, I never spent much time there. Is this common for players of The Witcher 3?

I've really only recently had a longer run playing Witcher 3 and it does bother me a little bit that there are so many closed off spaces and repetitive peasants trotting out the same lines etc. Scale is all very well but it's irrelevant if I can't really interact with stuff. I had this issue with Red Dead 2, which is very big.. but I feel locked out of everything because you can't 'do' anything with much of what you are seeing. It's not like say Skyrim where you could pretty much explore everything, even if a lot of it was randomised junk. 

Also I am not a fan of playing as a character and being given less freedom to just build who i am. So try as I might, I can't ever seem to truly immerse myself in the game

Some more info (and from here) on Starfield:

• You can ignore the optional planets and just do the "normal" BGS stuff and you'll be fine.
  • You can steal ships.
  • Because of the tech level you can cause way more mayhem than in other BGS games. If you steal some guns from a weapon shop and run off, you can spark a major manhunt and running gun battle through the streets.
  • There are four "huge" cities which are much bigger than city from any prior BGS game. I assume they mean functional settlement areas, so bigger than Diamond City, not necessarily all of Boston in Fallout 4, or Rivet City versus all of Washington DC in Fallout 3.
  • The settlement of Akila is about four times the size of Whiterun from Skyrim. It's unclear if Akila is counted as a major city. New Atlantis is much bigger than that.
  • Akila, and it looks like most of the other cities, don't have gates, so there's no separate loading screen for them. Skyrim and Fallout 4 had progressed with that but there were still some locations (like Diamond City) that required it.
  • You can craft, steal, buy, extort or salvage parts for ship-building or base-building.
  • The space combat is intended to be somewhat slow and tactical, more MechWarrior than Ace Combat. Todd Howard is a huge MechWarrior fan, which shows taste.
  • In space combat you can switch power levels between different systems.
  • You can dock with other ships, or crippled them in combat and then board and loot them.
  • There's no "seamless flight" from ground to space. That'll be a loading screen. There'll be one focus on the traditional BGS RPG ground experience and another on space travel/combat.
  • Over 200,000 words of dialogue. Without your character's voice lines, probably around twice the dialogue in Fallout 4 (and FO4 had a ton of dialogue).
  • The procgen systems in Starfield are a natural evolution of the systems they already used in Skyrim and Fallout, it wasn't a huge technological leap.
  • Starfield's main story is maybe 20% bigger than in any previous BGS game, maybe ~40 hours if you just focused on it and absolutely nothing else.
  • The main story has major branch points leading to very different conclusions (this sounds like Fallout 4).
  • Elder Scrolls VI is moving from pre-production into full production as work on Starfield winds down. He does confirm that Fallout 5 is moving into pre-production.

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Personally, I loved it. The writing has at such a high tier, and the game did such a good job at making failed rolls also interesting, that it was so easy to just get lost in the story. And the music was incredible. My only complaint was that hunting for money was a bit tedious. But that's such a minor issue compared to everything the game did right. 

I was bored recently and decided to make a steam collection of my top 10 games of all time that are in my steam library, and Disco Elysium was an easy inclusion.

Been playing Dead Cells for the first time recently. Really enjoying it -- love the Metroidvania/Rogue combination. Interesting different spin on the concepts. Have had one really successful, long run where I accidentally went to Forgotten Sepulcher instead of the Clock Tower (still on first clear) -- immediately stumbled into a cursed chest and accidentally activated it. Curse: Insta-death until after 10 kills. That run ended VERY suddenly.

11 hours ago, Fez said:

Personally, I loved it. The writing has at such a high tier, and the game did such a good job at making failed rolls also interesting, that it was so easy to just get lost in the story. And the music was incredible. My only complaint was that hunting for money was a bit tedious. But that's such a minor issue compared to everything the game did right. 

I was bored recently and decided to make a steam collection of my top 10 games of all time that are in my steam library, and Disco Elysium was an easy inclusion.

Some of the failed rolls end up being absolutely hilarious.

I also like that the game lets you be a total piece of shit if you want to, but Kim is such an amazing character that you feel absolutely terrible when he judges you for it.

Valve really knew what they were doing with the Steam Deck. I've already spent ~$200 on games I already own on Xbox and Switch. The worst is how many games I had on steam, and then re-bought on switch for portability though.

I played though Halo: Reach on the thing, it was a little weird playing Halo without an Xbox controller. I played a bit of Halo 1 but the campaign is just so repetitive. It's so easy to get lost because they reuse the same rooms so much. So I switched to Dead Rising since the steam version was on sale. Love that game. I wish someone would make an Elder Scrolls or Fallout type game where time mattered and it was nearly impossible to do everything.

Who needs AAA games when TMNT: Shredder's Revenge just went live today?!!?

Its like I'm 14 and back at the mall arcade!  Now if only there were a Sbarro's around the corner...

1 minute ago, briantw said:

If you have a craving for shitty pizza, there's surely a Little Caesar's or Papa John's near you.

Both actually... but its not the same as the giant greasy slice sitting under a hot lamp in a stall next to the locally owned Greek food stall!

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Both actually... but its not the same as the giant greasy slice sitting under a hot lamp in a stall next to the locally owned Greek food stall!

So 7-Eleven pizza, then?

I saw that TMNT game when I booted up steam. Definitely looks like I'd have a blast for approximately 45 minutes then not play much after that. Playing it with a group of friends yelling over Discord would probably be ridiculously fun though.

12 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I saw that TMNT game when I booted up steam. Definitely looks like I'd have a blast for approximately 45 minutes then not play much after that. Playing it with a group of friends yelling over Discord would probably be ridiculously fun though.

That's probably exactly what it will be.  I played for about two or three hours last night solo and completed the story mode on the easy setting.  I think the fun will come when I get my brother to get it and we can link up online and play my son and I on our couch and him and one of his kids at his place.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I saw a couple clips of FFVII Rebirth which I guess is Remake Part 2, but they aren't calling it Part 2... :dunno:   Cloud and Sephiroth are walking around on a hike together.  I have no idea where this game is headed now.

I started Neon White, a new indie game which is very much the sort of thing that happens when developers remember that games are fun. It's a first-person card-based-shooting-platforming-speedrunner which I don't think gets across the sheer joyfullness of the play. I've only just started and I doubt I'll be good at this, but it's a totally loopy delight so far.

Daggerfall Unity is free on GOG now. It's an unofficial version of Daggerfall which integrates all the major mods. I've never actually played it, so it's a welcome addition to my library.

Archived