Video Games - Waiting for a New AAA Game (that isn't Elden Ring)

Gorn

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Do you not have an nVidia card? I know nVidia dropped a driver that specifically fixed the problem and I never encountered it. Unless SE managed to balls it up again with the Steam version (which is certainly within their wonky wheelhouse).

I do. Although it's a 1070, which does put me right below the recommended specs. I am well above the minimum specs though, so that shouldn't be an issue.

ETA: If you check out the steam store forum, lots of people are still having the issue.

31 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Do you not have an nVidia card? I know nVidia dropped a driver that specifically fixed the problem and I never encountered it. Unless SE managed to balls it up again with the Steam version (which is certainly within their wonky wheelhouse).

I learned today that the next instalment is part 2 of 3. Which then begs the question: 

1. Do we know when part 2 will be released? 

2. Is there any talk of a final, consolidated version?

16 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I learned today that the next instalment is part 2 of 3. Which then begs the question: 

1. Do we know when part 2 will be released? 

2. Is there any talk of a final, consolidated version?

Part 2 is "late 2023". Presumably that puts Part 3 off to 2026/27 (Part 1 came out in April 2020). The PC version has come about 18 months after the initial PS release in each case.

A consolidated version may follow after that. There'll also probably be more character-specific expansions, like Intergrade for Yuffie in Part I. I can see maybe Cait Sith and Cid getting similar expansions later on as well as the Crisis Core remake, which makes a Dirge of Cerberus remake (focusing on Vincent) pretty likely as well.

It's worth noting they haven't split the original game into three ~10-hour versions, they've split and expanded each chunk of the game into something as long as the original game in its entirety, and brought in characters and storylines from the various FF7 Compilation titles as well (so some Dirge of Cerberus characters showed up in Intergrade and so on).

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Part 2 is "late 2023". Presumably that puts Part 3 off to 2026/27 (Part 1 came out in April 2020). The PC version has come about 18 months after the initial PS release in each case.

A consolidated version may follow after that. There'll also probably be more character-specific expansions, like Intergrade for Yuffie in Part I. I can see maybe Cait Sith and Cid getting similar expansions later on as well as the Crisis Core remake, which makes a Dirge of Cerberus remake (focusing on Vincent) pretty likely as well.

It's worth noting they haven't split the original game into three ~10-hour versions, they've split and expanded each chunk of the game into something as long as the original game in its entirety, and brought in characters and storylines from the various FF7 Compilation titles as well (so some Dirge of Cerberus characters showed up in Intergrade and so on).

At a guess - and I know things aren't finalised yet, so anything other than a guess is borderline unrealistic, but if you had to: how long do you figure the final game would be when compared to the original game? When I originally played it, way back when, I recall adding up the hours and working out that it took me about 75 hours to finish the game (I'm inclined towards completionism). 

Also: why are we getting all the stuff from Dirge et al? That's side content that...it's fine, sure, but...it doesn't really *add* anything substantial or meaningful to the original story. So why bother? 

On 6/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I enjoyed Disco Elysium because it was very different to my usual video game diet. It had some annoying elements, but most games do. It's a game I will only ever play once, mostly because it's not my usual video game diet, but I would encourage anyone who likes to try different things from time to time to give it a go. The problem with it not being my usual fare is that I don't know if people who are really into this style of game think it's awesome.

I got Disco Elysium a few weeks ago and think it is excellent.  Definitely not my normal type of game either, and there is a lot more dialogue than action.  But the storytelling and the way they implement the different skills as voices in your head is great.

That said - I have it on PS5, and I hit a bug on day 2 that wouldn't let me save the game.  Was fine on day 1, but just stopped recording new saves early on day 2.  I read that others had the same problem and that it might be fixed by either finishing a new thought or progressing to day 3, so tried both of those - but neither worked.  Eventually was forced to abandon my game, because I was worried about investing even more time into it, dying at some point in the future, and losing it all.  Will restart some time soon and hope that it was just a one time glitch.

There's an indie town builder called Terra Nil which is picking up a lot of good press on Steam. It has a free demo, so will be checking that out (the full game's apparently not out for a while).

Ah, it's not a town builder as such but a rewilding game, so you go into a bleak wasteland and build up various structures to re-wild the landscape and then pack up and move on afterwards. Clever stuff.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

At a guess - and I know things aren't finalised yet, so anything other than a guess is borderline unrealistic, but if you had to: how long do you figure the final game would be when compared to the original game? When I originally played it, way back when, I recall adding up the hours and working out that it took me about 75 hours to finish the game (I'm inclined towards completionism). 

Also: why are we getting all the stuff from Dirge et al? That's side content that...it's fine, sure, but...it doesn't really *add* anything substantial or meaningful to the original story. So why bother? 

It's never taken me more than ~45 hours to complete the game, even when I went after the gold chocobo. I've never grinded to 99 and taken on Emerald and Ruby Weapon with maxed-Knights of the Round and the other top abilities, though, which I can see being a massive timesink. It's unclear if the Remake will include all of that stuff either.

For Part 1 of the Remake, Epic Store tells me I put 45 hours in to complete it.

6 hours ago, IlyaP said:

For good or ill… despite the title of the game… you have to realize that this is not a Remake in the sense that we generally have come to accept.

In many ways, this appears almost to be a sequel or (to borrow from Marvel) a step into a multiverse.

I guess I should get FF7 while it's $50 instead of $70 on steam. I know I'm going to be irrationally annoyed when it ends after Midgar and I can't finish the game. But it seems like it'll be a long wait for the whole trilogy to be done.

One day they'll do something with FFVI, which is somehow starting to feel like the red-headed step child of the franchise despite being one of the most popular games.

I decided to get Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. I abandoned my last attempt at Kingmaker at about the 3/4 mark, but enjoyed it well enough to want try this. I'm only early in act 2 but so far I'm finding it more engaging than its predecessor. The only thing I'm not sold on is the crusade army management (well, that and the use of the term "crusade"). If I wanted to play HoMM then that's what I'd be playing, I came here for the insane amount of character options provided (and maybe the story).

The mythic path concept seems interesting and could in fact add to replayability since it's a bit more complicated than a simple good/evil binary, though I can't imagine the deviations being massive. I figure you'd still be playing through roughly the same areas, but the character motivations and the enemies you're fighting might change.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I guess I should get FF7 while it's $50 instead of $70 on steam. I know I'm going to be irrationally annoyed when it ends after Midgar and I can't finish the game. But it seems like it'll be a long wait for the whole trilogy to be done.

One day they'll do something with FFVI, which is somehow starting to feel like the red-headed step child of the franchise despite being one of the most popular games.

Eh.  Without getting too much into it.  The game does feel “complete” after Midgar.

I don’t think it’s spoiling too much to say that I literally have zero clue where the game is going from here.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

In many ways, this appears almost to be a sequel or (to borrow from Marvel) a step into a multiverse.

Oh gods, what? 

The MCUification of...Final Fantasy?

*groan*

6 hours ago, Jon AS said:

I decided to get Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. I abandoned my last attempt at Kingmaker at about the 3/4 mark, but enjoyed it well enough to want try this. I'm only early in act 2 but so far I'm finding it more engaging than its predecessor. The only thing I'm not sold on is the crusade army management (well, that and the use of the term "crusade"). If I wanted to play HoMM then that's what I'd be playing, I came here for the insane amount of character options provided (and maybe the story).

The mythic path concept seems interesting and could in fact add to replayability since it's a bit more complicated than a simple good/evil binary, though I can't imagine the deviations being massive. I figure you'd still be playing through roughly the same areas, but the character motivations and the enemies you're fighting might change.

Yeah, the crusade management never gets much better than "weak" but at least you can't really fail it like the kingdom management in Kingmaker.

You're mostly right about how the mythic paths play out. Some of them get a couple unique areas in Act III, and one of them gets a very different Act IV, but it's mostly the same overaching plot for each. It's not until Act V that things start deviating more dramatically.

What character build are you going with?

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

The rumor is that a remake of FF9 is next. So, at current pace, it'll be the mid 2030s at earliest before there's anything for FF6.

6 hours ago, Jon AS said:

With Kingmaker I hit that hard deadline in the first act of the game and while I seemed to be adequately levelled for the fight that would get me past the deadline I just seemed to be too weak to handle the fight. It seems like I would need to start over from scratch, and the game is not quite engaging enough for me at that early level to go through it all again. Plus I don't really know what I need to do improve my party to be able to get past that boss fight. I guess I have just lost my mojo with these types of games. 

33 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah, the crusade management never gets much better than "weak" but at least you can't really fail it like the kingdom management in Kingmaker.

This system never felt completely logical to me in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Or maybe I'm a bit tense (por que no los dos?). I'd defeat the Stag King, start building out a new town, and then...the game would kinda fizzle. And between the design/story lag and the obtuse interface and lack of ease around weight distribution of items between party members, the game constantly felt like work and low-level item management. Also the movement speeds of characters were shockingly slow.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

You're mostly right about how the mythic paths play out. Some of them get a couple unique areas in Act III, and one of them gets a very different Act IV, but it's mostly the same overaching plot for each. It's not until Act V that things start deviating more dramatically.

Oh, that actually sounds like there's more than I thought, cool. But let's see if I can make it through once before I start planning another run...

5 hours ago, Fez said:

What character build are you going with?

Went with Bloodrager -> Dragon Disciple for lots of strength, aming for feats like Intimidating Prowess, Cornugon Smash and Dreadful Carnage to demoralise enemies as I beat them over the head with sharp metal implements.

I always enjoy the simplicity of fighter types, partly because playing a low level caster in a CRPG tends to involve a lot of time simply being a sub-optimal archer because you have nowhere enough spells per day for all the combat encounters and partly because they get to use all those shiny swords and armour. Though with the mythic abilities that grant additional spell slots this is apparently less of a problem in this game.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

With Kingmaker I hit that hard deadline in the first act of the game and while I seemed to be adequately levelled for the fight that would get me past the deadline I just seemed to be too weak to handle the fight.

I actually thought the first deadline was the least annoying in that game. You had plenty of time to hit up all the available areas, which made you level 4-5 for the showdown, which seemed about right to me.

Later on you have the kingdom management fucking with your plans. You want to level up an advisor? Sure, go ahead, but doing so will result in a time skip of X days. And you do this multiple (5+) times for every advisor. At other times you'll give them a job that will take 60 days to finish, then an event that only this advisor can tackle pops up with a deadline before those 60 days are up. At that point it no longer feels like a challenge, but like the game's RNG fucking with you.

(Though to be fair, missing out on an event doesn't mean you lose, it's just extremely frustrating)

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

This system never felt completely logical to me in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Or maybe I'm a bit tense (por que no los dos?). I'd defeat the Stag King, start building out a new town, and then...the game would kinda fizzle. And between the design/story lag and the obtuse interface and lack of ease around weight distribution of items between party members, the game constantly felt like work and low-level item management.

Yeah, to me it always felt like the kingdom management actively got in the way of the "real" game that I'd signed up for. If I ever try it again I'd probably set that to automatic and see how that goes.

Inventory management was also a bit annoying, particularly with the insane amount of vendor trash in the game (really devs, just give me money, don't make me collect wooden spoons...), but you can alleviate a lot of the frustration by buying up every bag of holding you can find.

17 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Oh gods, what? 

The MCUification of...Final Fantasy?

*groan*

They've been leaning in that direction for a while, ever since they decided to set multiple titles on Ivalice (TacticsXIITactics AdvanceVagrant Story) and they also had some hints that XIII was a prequel to VII (of a kind). Given the same monsters and summons keep showing up, I think it's been headcanon for a lot of FF fans over the years that the games take place in the same universe (or multiverse), just on different planets.

Oh god, I'm beyond hope.

Yesterday I finally finished Fallout 4 by completing the main quest after doing pretty much all the side quests I came across aside the radiant BOS ones and most of the Minutemen settlement quests that went way out of hand pretty soon.

... and yet instead of cleaning storage space the insane completionist in me started dropping by at Sanctuary Hills and walked straight to the next undiscovered marker on the map. Just... wanting to see what I missed before I give the game the boot and go to New Vegas instead once I got a new itch for Fallout.

Truly, I'm hopeless...

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

With Kingmaker I hit that hard deadline in the first act of the game and while I seemed to be adequately levelled for the fight that would get me past the deadline I just seemed to be too weak to handle the fight. It seems like I would need to start over from scratch, and the game is not quite engaging enough for me at that early level to go through it all again. Plus I don't really know what I need to do improve my party to be able to get past that boss fight. I guess I have just lost my mojo with these types of games. 

The thing about these games is that they require a pretty strong understanding of the pathfinder 1e rule set. It's quite easy to make a broken build by accident that won't do anything. Meanwhile, among the viable builds, some are vastly more powerful than others. If you're the kind of player that likes pouring over the level-up screen to figure out what to do next, it's great. But otherwise it can be quite frustrating.

One easy tip, the spell 'grease' trivializes a lot of early fights.

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

This system never felt completely logical to me in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Or maybe I'm a bit tense (por que no los dos?). I'd defeat the Stag King, start building out a new town, and then...the game would kinda fizzle. And between the design/story lag and the obtuse interface and lack of ease around weight distribution of items between party members, the game constantly felt like work and low-level item management. Also the movement speeds of characters were shockingly slow.

I won't defend the town management because I thought it was bad. But one interesting thing about Kingmaker's design is that it's in reverse of what we're trained to expect in RPGs. You're supposed to do the main quests immediately when they pop up (except Act 1, where you do everything then fight the stag king) and then you have an extended downtime to explore, do the town management, complete side quests, etc.

9 hours ago, Jon AS said:

Oh, that actually sounds like there's more than I thought, cool. But let's see if I can make it through once before I start planning another run...

Went with Bloodrager -> Dragon Disciple for lots of strength, aming for feats like Intimidating Prowess, Cornugon Smash and Dreadful Carnage to demoralise enemies as I beat them over the head with sharp metal implements.

I always enjoy the simplicity of fighter types, partly because playing a low level caster in a CRPG tends to involve a lot of time simply being a sub-optimal archer because you have nowhere enough spells per day for all the combat encounters and partly because they get to use all those shiny swords and armour. Though with the mythic abilities that grant additional spell slots this is apparently less of a problem in this game.

Yeah, restartitis in the game is real since there's so many interesting ways too go. I've played 471 hours and only beaten it once. I've made it to Act IV two other times, Act III once, Act II once, and several hours in a bunch of times. I think I'm going to wait for the enhanced edition before playing anymore though.

A few builds absolutely rely on mythic abilities to work properly. But the vast majority of abilities are simply quality-of-life improvements; like the extra spell slots or the enduring spells. It's a nice system (and apparently much better designed than what the tabletop module had).

One tip on inventory weight (and this is true for both games), have at least one party member with a pet. Pets all have high strength, so they vastly increase party weight capacity. Get one and never worry again. Or be like my last playthrough, have 3 pets and a carrying capacity of over 6 tons.

Archived