Video Games - Waiting for a New AAA Game (that isn't Elden Ring)

Gorn

I would also add, considering some of you talking about the narrative impact of the Vigil scene from ME1, that the reveal of what Zero Dawn means in HZD was just as impactful. The whole reveal of what happened to humanity as you progress was really depressing. (My reaction to it was probably affected by present day events)

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

It seems there's a fun-looking RoboCop game on the way-

I love the original film, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this turns out well.

Its a shame I don't like FPS games (I'm hot garbage at playing them...)

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

You'll be fine as long as you channel your inner TJ Lazer!

It's being developed by the same people that did Terminator: Resistance (which critics weren't keen on, but players seem to love.) They won't be working with a big budget, but hopefully they capture the feel of the films as they apparently did with T:R.

It looks just like Peter Weller in that scene without the helmet.

51 minutes ago, aceluby said:

That game looks like hot garbage

It literally looks less interesting and less ambitious than the 1991 RoboCop 3 game on the Amiga, which was a fully-3D (polygons and all) first-person shooter predating Doom by two years (!) and had driveable cars and a usable jetpack (!!).

10 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

That RoboCop game genuinely was shit though. Other than the first level, the gameplay was horrible, and it was perhaps the blandest looking game on the system. Pushing one boundary to the point of making dozens of other sacrifices isn't an especially clever choice. (And even then, it's not like polygon graphics were new to the system - F29 Retaliator (also by DID) preceded it by 4 years.)

Teyon's previous game is any indication, this will be fun to play. Not everything can be AAA, but I guess if you can't get past it not having cutting edge graphics, give it a miss.

For 1991 it was technically impressive and the ambition was bonkers but yup, the gameplay was lacking. That was DID's thing though (Epic, the Cyberpunk 2077 of its day in terms of ludicrous hype, had the same problem).

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I didn't realise anyone was asking for a Robocop game?

To be fair, a really good RoboCop game would be awesome if done properly.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I put a lot of quarters into the old RoboCop arcade game at the mall!

14 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Teyon's previous game is any indication, this will be fun to play. Not everything can be AAA, but I guess if you can't get past it not having cutting edge graphics, give it a miss.

It looks like a really boring first person shooter that wouldn't have brought anything to the table in 2010, much less 2022.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I was actually excited when I saw the thumbnail, then was instantly disappointed by how terribly bland everything about the game looks.  Just the fact it went FPS is an immediate pass from me, unless this went full VR.

The problem with doing Robocop is that in order to do it well you need to be mostly NOT about the action, because the action is not nearly as interesting. Robocop is either completely invulnerable or almost entirely outclassed, and there's very little in between. The cool parts are the hypercapitalist shitty world, the corruption, the super snarky Verhoeven jokes and the pathos of being a man wrenched back from the dead on the hunt for revenge.

Killing random mooks is just not that special, even if it has the cool targeting gig done. 

Another interesting thing I've discovered in my Elden Ring re-playthrough is that by following the Rogier and then Ranni questlines in order and not going to any areas in advance, it almost feels like a main story questline in another game. But its something almost impossible to do without both a guide and having played the game before. Which is a shame since not only do the quests give some nice structure, they give a ton of lore too. I did the Ranni stuff in my first play, but well after I had been to most of the areas already, so it was just a lot of fast travel backtracking. And I hadn't done the Rogier stuff at all, it was too easy to miss. I'm really hoping From revamps their quest and NPC systems in their next game.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:13 AM, Corvinus85 said:

I finished the main storyline in HZD. I loved the narrative but what the hell, they just reset the game before the final mission?

Reveal hidden contents

I'm guessing it had to do with the destruction of the city of Meridian and them not wanting to leave it as a smoking ruin as you go back to free exploration. Still, I think they could have done a minor time skip instead. I wanted to see what GAIA would do now.

I still need to do the Furious Wild DLC. I do feel a bit burned out though. About 45 hrs of gameplay and I know I didn't do all the minor quests and plenty of other places to explore.

The sequel starts almost immediately after the final mission, and from what I’ve seen (not played it myself) park of its plot is what you say you want to see.

But part the Frozen Wilds main quest before Forbidden West - the DLC plot is important to the sequel.

On 7/9/2022 at 2:24 PM, Fez said:

Another interesting thing I've discovered in my Elden Ring re-playthrough is that by following the Rogier and then Ranni questlines in order and not going to any areas in advance, it almost feels like a main story questline in another game. But its something almost impossible to do without both a guide and having played the game before. Which is a shame since not only do the quests give some nice structure, they give a ton of lore too. I did the Ranni stuff in my first play, but well after I had been to most of the areas already, so it was just a lot of fast travel backtracking. And I hadn't done the Rogier stuff at all, it was too easy to miss. I'm really hoping From revamps their quest and NPC systems in their next game.

Elden Ring would have 100% been a better game with a quest log.  Breath of the Wild showed exactly how to do this without holding the hand of the player too much, and given how much else Elden Ring ripped off of Breath of the Wild, I don't know why they didn't steal the quest log too.

10 hours ago, briantw said:

Elden Ring would have 100% been a better game with a quest log.  Breath of the Wild showed exactly how to do this without holding the hand of the player too much, and given how much else Elden Ring ripped off of Breath of the Wild, I don't know why they didn't steal the quest log too.

Agreed. Although if they made the quests too accessible they'd probably have to give more of them satisfying resolutions rather than just have 95% of the NPCs suddenly die after you've found whatever item or defeated whatever boss they cared about. Whereas they get away with it now since most players never see them.

15 hours ago, briantw said:

I don't think it needs a quest log.  The "quests" don't really matter other than the main one and most amount to "NPC moves to a  different area somehow and gets in front of you even though that should be impossible as you are needed to open lifts and gates and such."

I never played Breath of the Wild, what else does it rip off?

2 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I don't think it needs a quest log.  The "quests" don't really matter other than the main one and most amount to "NPC moves to a  different area somehow and gets in front of you even though that should be impossible as you are needed to open lifts and gates and such."

Aha!

Archived