Wales Not Real

Due to long association with this forum, I often make the joke that Wales isn't real to friends and family. Recently that made me wonder, is Wales being an imaginary land just a joke that started on these boards, or is it from something in particular? Hopefully some old timers will be able to help me out with this

Afraid I don't remember who started that, but as someone with a Welsh surname I sure hope this thread doesn't restart it. I thought it was fun for a month or so but then it just got irritating and stupid, IMHO. 

12 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Due to long association with this forum, I often make the joke that Wales isn't real to friends and family. Recently that made me wonder, is Wales being an imaginary land just a joke that started on these boards, or is it from something in particular? Hopefully some old timers will be able to help me out with this

It started on the Board.

If it had been during the TV show and Twitter era, the whole thing would have mushroomed like the “Birds Aren’t Real” joke.

I imagine Wales does feel distinctly unreal to anyone from large parts of the UK and urban America. It's rumoured to be possible to buy a house in Wales for less than £100 000, unless you want to buy in Penarth or the Mumbles, in which case start auctioning your kidneys. 

I kind of hope it exists though.

Fe ddaw crawc y gigfran o glogwyn y Pendist Mawr

The croak of the raven will come from the cliff of Pendist Mawr

Ar lepen yr Wyddfa pan gwffiwyf ag Angau Gawr

On the slope of Yr Wyddfa when I fight with the Giant Death

Fe ddaw cri ar Nant y Betws a Drws-y-Coed

A cry will come from Nant y Betws and Drws-y-Coed

Ac o Bont Cae’r-gors pan gyhoeddir canlyniad yr oed...

And from Pont Cae’r-gors when the result of the encounter is announced...

Mind you, the ravens would need megaphones these days to be heard above the tourists striking Snowdon from their bucket list (obviously in a drugged-up, hallucinogenic haze of unreality). 

Archived