The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Ser Drewy

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I always assumed that Numenor's armies did not contain much cavalry, much like Gondor's armies. Even in Isildur's days, Gondor didn't have much cavalry. At the Gladden Fields he and his retinue are on foot.

I got the impression that Gondor had a reasonable amount of cavalry but it was what you'd expect (enough to equip some cavalry formations, reconnaissance, messengers etc). They only had small amounts of horse compared to Rohan (who are All Horse, All The Time), but otherwise were fine.

Suggesting that Numenor is a heavy cavalry/horse culture is a bit odd, but it's certainly not the case Numenor had no horses at all just because they live on a (pretty big) island.

Going by Tolkien, the Numenoreans were taller and stronger than normal humans, so equipping them with horses big enough to carry them into battle in large numbers might be an issue, but I suspect the show is going to ignore that as being impractical.

• 2 weeks later...

Meteor Man could probably work if it was literally Earendil, having to return to Earth for whatever plot reason someone can think of, and maybe he helps out from behind the scenes and then fucks off without people knowing he was around (also, added angst from him not being able to say hello to Elrond).

Otherwise I'm not sure on the mechanisms involved. If it's the Valar sending someone to help Middle-earth, which is their MO, sure (and Tolkien was considering some of the Istari showing up much earlier than he originally suggested), but why load them up into a meteor and blast them into the continent at high velocity, making a huge spectacle seen by thousands of people at the same time?

If it isn't the Valar sending someone, then we need to get a lowdown on who else on Middle-earth has ICBM capabilities.

If Meteor Man is Gandalf, sure, maybe it (over) explains his affection for Hobbits, but I think that was adequately explained already. Also, it would be boring to fall back on using Gandalf again where his presence is not needed.

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Meteor Man could probably work if it was literally Earendil, having to return to Earth for whatever plot reason someone can think of, and maybe he helps out from behind the scenes and then fucks off without people knowing he was around (also, added angst from him not being able to say hello to Elrond).

This reads more like plotpoint from fanfiction set in current times.

58 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I can't help but think that they took some inspiration from ASoIaF with the red comet and then went further with it.

"But what if we could talk to the red comet?"

57 minutes ago, baxus said:

Could this be some kind of LotR-Superman crossover?

What is that?

It's an eagle of Manwë!

Nay, it's Vingilótë with Eärendil at the helm!

Nay, it's Meteor-Man!!! Que music.

This has more of a "Narnia" feel to it than Tolkien.

Dunno what Amazon is playing at.

If meteor man is Gandalf I'll be pissed. They're supposed to arrive by ship else how would Cirdan give him the ring.

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

This has more of a "Narnia" feel to it than Tolkien.

Dunno what Amazon is playing at.

If meteor man is Gandalf I'll be pissed. They're supposed to arrive by ship else how would Cirdan give him the ring.

I think the idea is that he'll show up, do some shit and then bugger off to Valinor again. Then he comes back with the other Istari in the Third Age. Possibly he has to fill in a customer feedback form that says travelling by meteor is random and dangerous, so next time he'll just go by boat like a sane person.

Those teasers are pretty terrible.  There is nothing to be excited about at all.  A bunch of people see something in the sky.  Over and over again.  That's it. 

If you just splice together 30 seconds of Lord of the Rings clips, you'd have people more excited.

19 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Of course this is going to suck.  Almost all Amazon original programming is somewhere between terrible and mediocre.  I can't think of a single program that would rank as great.

The Boys, The Expanse. The Man in the High Castle was never great, but it was above mediocre.

Amazon has been a mixed bag so far.

The Boys, The Expanse, Invincible = great

Wheel of Time = not only poorly written but bad production value as well. 

Archived