The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Ser Drewy

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Listening to the track "Sauron," I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's going to be presented in a villainous role. Just a hunch.

Having listened to it, too, I suspect we'll first hear it in one of the First Age flashbacks, and later when Sauron is revealed. But if Meteor Man = Sauron, I highly doubt this music will play right away.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Listening to the track "Sauron," I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's going to be presented in a villainous role. Just a hunch.

I was a bit narked about this when I heard the tracks yesterday. Having just listened to a podcast which is reviewing all the promo stuff for the show so far and referenced the showrunners NOT wanting to immediately have Sauron being a big bad in the first season...then I hear Sauron's theme and it is reminiscent of nothing so much as The Omen. :blink:

It's very possible that the "Sauron" theme will only play when he is finally revealed for who he really is.  Do we know if he's going to be disguised as "Annatar: Lord of Gifts"? I suspect if he is he will have a much nobler theme.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:11 PM, Zorral said:

Really?

Another way of putting it then is this critic's:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/20/arts/television/antiheroes-the-boys-batman.html

Think of the popularity of gangsters in media.  People like Henry Hill, Walter White, Tony Montana, Tony Soprano etc. are objectively terrible people, but we still find ourselves rooting for them.  But mostly, we aren’t actually endorsing them.

26 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Think of the popularity of gangsters in media.  People like Henry Hill, Walter White, Tony Montana, Tony Soprano etc. are objectively terrible people, but we still find ourselves rooting for them.  But mostly, we aren’t actually endorsing them.

Well, I don 't.  And I don't like those shows either. The only reason I ever watched Scarface was the exquisite Michelle Pfeiffer.  The only reason I watched The Sopranos is that I had to, for work -- the reason I watch a lot of stuff that on my own, I wouldn't.  I long ago came to the sense that these sorts of shows, the endless relentless flood of shows having us root/identify with truly evil guys was more than detrimental to our national mental health. 

For those who've followed casting,who's the elf-lord in the middle of battle who Galadriel seems to see dead and lying in state?

Who is the kid?

And what are those pale, blue-eyed folks? Evil elves?

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

For those who've followed casting,who's the elf-lord in the middle of battle who Galadriel seems to see dead and lying in state?

Who is the kid?

And what are those pale, blue-eyed folks? Evil elves?

I believe he's meant to be Finrod. I don't know who the kid is. The blue-eyed elf is, I believe, Annatar. (And he just reminds me of Satan in Gibson's film).

This is getting confusing. I thought the idea was that they were going to bring in Annatar maybe later in Season 1 and then do the whole corruption of Celebrimbor thing.

Here it looks like Sauron is already on Numenor, already as a priest of Morgoth before the rings are forged.

Weird.

Was the balrog at the end the one from Jackson's films or is it new, but the same one, i.e. Durin's Bane?

So they're making Sauron a cult leader, which would be fine I suppose, but as Ran indicated, the guy looks ultra suspicious.

Archived