UK Politics - Caesar: Most senators didn’t stab me, so all good!

Derfel Cadarn

Get. Them. Out.

Fury at government after council overruled on Surrey Hills gas drilling

Campaigners and the Liberal Democrats have criticised the government after a minister overruled a Tory-run council to approve gas drilling on the edge of the Surrey Hills, despite accepting the scheme would cause harm to the natural landscape.

The decision, formally announced in a written statement by the housing minister Stuart Andrew, gives the green light to three years of exploratory drilling at a site near the edge of the Surrey Hills area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB).

The site is in the South West Surrey constituency of Jeremy Hunt, the former health secretary, who strongly opposes the project.

Campaigners said the decision showed an “obsession” with finding new fossil fuel developments, and that it would be likely to provoke protests.

The Good Law Project are having a look.

Rishi Sunak has lost £11Bn of our money down the back of the sofa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61754394

I have difficulty getting my head around figures once the word "billion" gets thrown around (TBH, I'm sure I struggle with millions as well); so I went looking for a little context.

If you spend £1 per second, every second, day or night, bank holiday or otherwise; and go back in time far enough to reach £11Bn, and... Charles II has just been restored to the thrown.

Out of interest (well, boredom, I guess) I tried the same with Brexit - from the day of the vote to the day BJ got his deal through parliament - the bluestones were being erected at Stonehenge.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

If you spend £1 per second, every second, day or night, bank holiday or otherwise; and go back in time far enough to reach £11M, and... Charles II has just been restored to the thrown.

I assume you meant bn.

One year has about 31.5m seconds (standard year).

45 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I assume you meant bn.

One year has about 31.5m seconds (standard year).

I do indeed - I got it right first time, failed on the second - shows how much I struggle to get my head around astronomical numbers.

31.56M seconds a year - but you're right, I failed to take into account leap year, and centurion oddities

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I have difficulty getting my head around figures once the word "billion" gets thrown around (TBH, I'm sure I struggle with millions as well); so I went looking for a little context.

Think of it in person pounds, i.e. divide it by the number of adults in the UK.

So a billion is about £20 PP. He needs to take £20 from each and every one of us to make up for each billion lost.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

Think of it in person pounds, i.e. divide it by the number of adults in the UK.

So a billion is about £20 PP. He needs to take £20 from each and every one of us to make up for each billion lost.

I used to do that sort of thing, but my head can't really process 60-odd million people either

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I used to do that sort of thing, but my head can't really process 60-odd million people either

Sounds like you're well qualified to be Chancellor of the Exchequer though, so you've got that going for you.

26 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

You don't need to think about all the people, just do the conversion and think that if he has blown 11 billion then he has cost you personally about £200.

7 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Russ Jones sums it up

He's been reading my posts! (I'd done the same on Best for Britain this morning, except the total they'd reached was £64Bn; so I'd said "biblical")

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

We can't can't criticising BJ for his dishonesty then getting upset at someone saying Blackpool is a shithole surely?

It’s the southern snobbery that’s being criticised here, especially when they still pretend to care about levelling up

When you're less popular than Neil Kinnock...

Poll says Keir Starmer worse choice for PM than Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson makes a better prime minister than Keir Starmer would despite Partygate, the cost of living crisis and the confidence vote in Johnson held by his MPs, according to the latest Observer poll.

The Opinium figures, which will raise further concerns within Labour over the party leader’s performance, shows that the prime minister has a two-point lead over his opponent. It also reveals that Starmer’s party holds a narrow two-point lead, compared with a three-point lead in the last poll a fortnight ago. Labour are on 36% of the vote, with the Tories up one point on 34%. The Lib Dems are on 13% with the Greens on 6%.

Johnson’s poor approval ratings have improved slightly at -27, compared with -30 two weeks ago. Starmer holds an approval rating of -6, unchanged from two weeks ago.

While 28% think Johnson would make the best prime minister, 26% opted for Starmer.

The government are expected to publish their lawbreaking Northern Ireland bill this week.

They are refusing to say what legal advice has been sought, and are refusing to confirm that whatever legal advice they have received will be made public.

Another mass Tory rebellion is expected. LOL.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:06 PM, Which Tyler said:

Rishi Sunak has lost £11Bn of our money down the back of the sofa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61754394

If you spend £1 per second, every second, day or night, bank holiday or otherwise; and go back in time far enough to reach £11Bn, and... Charles II has just been restored to the thrown.

Out of interest (well, boredom, I guess) I tried the same with Brexit - from the day of the vote to the day BJ got his deal through parliament - the bluestones were being erected at Stonehenge.

To be honest, I think this is a bullshit accusation. They’re effectively saying with hindsight why didn’t the government gamble with the public’s money. Government shouldn’t be buying those types of insurance. 

“Journalist” Sophie Corcoran(blue tick) is being chastised for a sneering tweet about (allegedly) single mothers by another blue ticked Sophie Corcoran. 
Sophie Corcoran (the evil one) also accidentally replied to someone using her sock puppet account, which blew up twitter. That account has now been deleted.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

“Journalist” Sophie Corcoran(blue tick) is being chastised for a sneering tweet about (allegedly) single mothers by another blue ticked Sophie Corcoran. 
Sophie Corcoran (the evil one) also accidentally replied to someone using her sock puppet account, which blew up twitter. That account has now been deleted.

This is still my my favourite version of this kind of thing happening

Archived