UK Politics - Caesar: Most senators didn’t stab me, so all good!

Derfel Cadarn

43 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So to crticize Starmer on not talking about it sounds a wee bit hypocritical to me, Brexit happened. But you want him to bravely venture into that culture war the dumb effs would like to fight instead of attacking them on their abysmal policy record

Yeah, the roof is on fire. But let's not talk about what caused it to catch fire, in case the fire spreads to the rest of the house. Let's just sit here quietly, minding our own business, and pray for rain.

Is basically where Starmer is now.

And your charge of hypocrisy would hold more water if I hadn't been kicked out of a CLP meeting in 2018 and suspended for six months for loudly and angrily calling out Corbyn's lack of balls leadership on the issue.

The fact is we now know what Brexit looks like. We can see that Project Fear was actually Project Reality. And calling out the architects is vital because the cunts are still in office today, and showing no sign of halting their quest to destroy the fabric of our nation and our standing around the world.

And look, when 98% of Express readers are complaining about Brexit, you know it's been a shitshow. He can afford to be less timid.

I mean, would you look at the absolute fucking state of this.

He needs to come out, today, and correct his spokesman. He needs to come out and say that this shit is evil and that it will not fly under a Labour government.

If not, he can get in the fucking sea. Otherwise, what is he? Just another liar who will say whatever it takes to get elected.

35 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, the roof is on fire. But let's not talk about what caused it to catch fire, in case the fire spreads to the rest of the house. Let's just sit here quietly, minding our own business, and pray for rain.

Yeah, but to stay in your metaphor the roof being on fire. What is a better: Demand Bozo (who pretend there's no fire)  and his jolly gang of fire enthusiasts (try to) put it out, or argue about what caused the fire, while the house burns down?

The fire needs to be put out first. I mean, would you walk into a foodbank to talk about Brexit? 

I mean, personally I think Owen Jones is a moron 8/10 (basically anybody who defended Captain Nonsense time at the helm of Labour, should have taken a good hard look in the mirror after the last GE, and reflect on what happend. And he is just one of those carefree idiots, who would go: but he won the the argument). Having that said, wrt Rwanda and the non-response he is right.

One unintended consequence of the Rwanda policy - apparently the government is pissed off about the bishops opposing them and is now considering kicking them out of the House of Lords. If ever there was an example of doing the right thing for the wrong reasons…

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

One unintended consequence of the Rwanda policy - apparently the government is pissed off about the bishops opposing them and is now considering kicking them out of the House of Lords. If ever there was an example of doing the right thing for the wrong reasons…

Depends who they pick to replace them.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but to stay in your metaphor the roof being on fire. What is a better: Demand Bozo (who pretend there's no fire)  and his jolly gang of fire enthusiasts (try to) put it out, or argue about what caused the fire, while the house burns down?

Sure, from the outside looking in, in Germany for instance, I can see why that might provide some short term lolz.

But some of us have to live here. And, right now, the Tories are pouring petrol on the roof.

Frankly, I'd be happy if the government were to nick Labour's ideas, like they did with the Windfall Tax. Only problem is, Labour haven't said what they propose to do to fix the mess that is Bozo's Brexit deal.  A deal, it should be pointed out, that Sir Keir Starmer whipped his MPs to vote for.

I mean, as far as I know, Starmer is perfectly happy with Boris Johnson's Brexit deal, and isn't looking to change a single thing about it. Despite the damage it continues to cause.

That resignation letter from Johnson's handpicked sycophantic Standards Advisor feels a bit ... weird.

He put up with a whole load of stuff, starting with the funding of Johnson's new Downing Street makeover (where after he narrowly let Johnson off it then came out that Johnson had lied to him about it, forcing him to let Johnson off again, even more narrowly) and building up to Partygate and all its ramifications. Yet now he suddenly resigns, catching everyone off guard with some stuff about a proposed "deliberate and purposeful breach of the Ministerial Code" putting him in an "impossible and odious position" that is "an affront".

The official story is that this is just about possibly dodging some WTO obligations, but it feels to me that there must be something more to it than that. Especially as they apparently tried to get away with keeping the contents of the resignation letter secret.

As far as I can see, what happens is:

- Geidt gets increasingly fed up with Johnson.

- Geidt reluctantly agrees to give it another six months.

- In the very next meeting, Geidt goes along expecting contrition about Partygate. Instead he gets Johnson asking 'how would it be if I broke the ministerial code on purpose?'

- Geidt, in frustration, points out that if you plan to breach a code of ethics on purpose, there's absolutely no point in having a code of ethics at all. Goes away, stews a bit, decides to chuck it in.

The common theme, by the way, should be coming clear by now. Partygate. Rwanda flights, along with attacks on lawyers who act for those on the flights and judges who disagree with the government. The NI protocol. And now a planned and intentional breach of WTO rules. The commonality is a government that doesn't see why it should obey the law, be restricted in what it can do or be held accountable in any way. Laws are for other people.

They do not understand what leadership is, how power should be used or why these things matter.

I would have thought now would be the time for any group of ethically minded conservative MPs to break away from the party and form their own new conservative party. They would have a pretty reasonable chance of retaining their seats at the next election. And if there were enough of them they could bring the govt down by turning the Tory majority into a minority and force an election while all this corruption is fresh in people's minds.

Perhaps there aren't enough ethically minded conservatives. Or perhaps they are too afraid to take the risk. Or perhaps they think the party can be rehabilitated. 

17 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would have thought now would be the time for any group of ethically minded conservative MPs to break away from the party and form their own new conservative party. They would have a pretty reasonable chance of retaining their seats at the next election.

Things did not go well for any of the Tory or Labour MPs who left their parties during the previous Parliament when it came to re-election time.

44 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would have thought now would be the time for any group of ethically minded conservative MPs to break away from the party and form their own new conservative party. They would have a pretty reasonable chance of retaining their seats at the next election. And if there were enough of them they could bring the govt down by turning the Tory majority into a minority and force an election while all this corruption is fresh in people's minds.

Perhaps there aren't enough ethically minded conservatives. Or perhaps they are too afraid to take the risk. Or perhaps they think the party can be rehabilitated. 

I think this was tried by the Remainer Tory's and some Labour who quit their party (or was deselected) and started a party I think called "Change UK"    

I really don't think they are still going.

That's mostly because the Torymainers split over an issue that basically handed a landslide election to the Tory party. And it would seem very few Tory voters felt the same way.

The situation now is different. They wouldn't be splitting from the Tory party over Brexit, they would be splitting because the Tory party no longer reflects "Tory Values"(tm) and has "lost it's way" and no longer reflects the principles and policies of her holiness the Thatcher etc etc. A splinter party that broke away over ethics and values could theoretically be comprised of honourable Brexiteers and Torymainers. 

Still a failed split in the previous election would give disgruntled MPs pause, esp if they are highly motivated to remain as MPs. 

Archived