UK Politics - Caesar: Most senators didn’t stab me, so all good!

Derfel Cadarn

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Byelection turnout and total numbers of votes are usually so low that getting a reliable sample size is quite difficult.

It may also be fairly useless, as the margins in Honiton are so tight as to be almost nonexistent (if it swings, it will be the biggest majority ever overturned in a byelection, apparently). Wakefield could be much bigger, as the Tories' majority was okay but not massive and Labour need a much more modest swing to recapture it.

Apparently the Tories are projecting holding Honiton with a massively reduced majority. The LibDems have said it's a "big ask" but they think they can just scrape it if Labour and Green supporters have switched to tactical voting almost completely. Wakefield is much more doable for Labour, especially with LibDem tactical voting for Labour.

Ha, they fucking smashed them. It wasn't even close.

Must be a lot more tory MPs this morning looking at bobble head thinking 'this fucker is going to cost me my job in a few years'. 

55 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Must be a lot more tory MPs this morning looking at bobble head thinking 'this fucker is going to cost me my job in a few years'. 

Indeed.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I read that if every constituency withthe same margin as Honiton votes the same, the Tories wpuld be reduced to 72 seats in a GE.

28 minutes ago, Raja said:

Indeed.

Yeah, because Oliver (who?) Dowdon falling on his sword will appease ex-tory voters…

25 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I read that if every constituency withthe same margin as Honiton votes the same, the Tories wpuld be reduced to 72 seats in a GE.

Yeah, because Oliver (who?) Dowdon falling on his sword will appease ex-tory voters…

I never want to go to a place where a swing that big would still leave the tories holding the seat. 

Interesting how many seats the Tories are losing recently to the lib-dems.

The Tories moved to the right to counter UKIP, only now they’re losing their moderate support, it seems

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I don't think he has done it to appease ex Tory voters. I think he is doing it to say he now also thinks Johnson should go.

17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Where you getting this from? 

A feeling in my water.

IIRC, it was the day after the local elections that the Met issued their second wave of Partygate fines.

Starmer and Rayner returned their questionnaires a while ago. I expect the police were doing the right thing and delaying their response until after the by elections.

And, yeah, I make no apologies for wanting him gone. Behold:

Wakefield Labour votes 2019: 17,925
Wakefield Labour votes 2022: 13,166

Clearly, Starmer isn't the man to defeat the Tories. Because, for all intents and purposes, that's basically what he is.

So to be clear: last week you were insistent that Starmer must go if he lost the Wakefield by-election, which you fully expected he would.

Today you think he should go because he didn't win it by enough votes, despite getting 48% of the vote.

If Labour had won with 70% of the vote, would you still be grousing?

David Frost explaining that it’s not a great night for Labour or Lib-Dems.

Except he’s linked it to the Irish Labour party. The attention to detail from the man who negotiated Brexit…

25 minutes ago, mormont said:

So to be clear: last week you were insistent that Starmer must go if he lost the Wakefield by-election, which you fully expected he would.

Today you think he should go because he didn't win it by enough votes, despite getting 48% of the vote.

If Labour had won with 70% of the vote, would you still be grousing?

WUT? When was I insisting that Labour were going to lose Wakefield? Please show me the post where I said that.

Anyway, to be clear, I think he has to go. I've been pretty consistent in that since he started tearing up his election pledges.

But I promise you, if Labour had won 70% of the vote in Wakefield, I would, today, be reconsidering my position on Starmer. But they didn't. So thankfully I don't have to.

And I'm saying he should go, not because of any single by election result, but because he is a liar and a coward who doesn't stand for a single thing. Except not upsetting the Daily Mail.

He has to go because, unbelievably, and after everything, more people think Boris Johnson would make a better prime minister.

So while people are laughing at all those Tory MPs deluding themselves in believing Boris Johnson is the man to take them into the next election, the Labour Party is doing something very similar with Starmer. People just don't like him.

Archived