UK Politics - Caesar: Most senators didn’t stab me, so all good!

Derfel Cadarn

For most of us, drinking too much and embarrassing ourselves geneeqlly means puking on a table or murdering a song on karaoke.

The Tories seem to regard sexual assault as ‘embarrassing’ thenselves

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

For most of us, drinking too much and embarrassing ourselves geneeqlly means puking on a table or murdering a song on karaoke.

What's embarrassing to them is not doing it, because they regard that as business as usual, but doing it in public/getting caught.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

You mean people actually invite back somebody who does this?

I think the worst that ever happened in my own home from somebody getting too drunk, was the guy smashing into our Christmas tree and destroying the lights and ornaments.  He was never invited back.  OTOH, we hadn't known him well before then, but he provided every reason not to get to know him more. :rofl:  One does cut a whole lot more slack for close friends, and old friends.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You mean people actually invite back somebody who does this?

I think the worst that ever happened in my own home from somebody getting too drunk, was the guy smashing into our Christmas tree and destroying the lights and ornaments.  He was never invited back.  OTOH, we hadn't known him well before then, but he provided every reason not to get to know him more. :rofl:  One does cut a whole lot more slack for close friends, and old friends.

In the pub. 

Rumour doing the rounds that Johnson has a super injunction out blocking the press from releasing a story that he got a Canadian hairdresser pregnant, and sent her back to Canada.

What would surprise people is the revelation he has a hairdresser.

As an American I find this entire concept of a govt injuction against publishing a story to be confusing.  What is this power?  How is it anything but a terrible idea?  The idea of not being allowed to publish a story about government corruption or malfeasance seems very problematic. 

This isn't like some reporter sniffing around Bletchley Park in 1940 here. 

24 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Rumour doing the rounds that Johnson has a super injunction out blocking the press from releasing a story that he got a Canadian hairdresser pregnant, and sent her back to Canada.

What would surprise people is the revelation he has a hairdresser.

A hairdresser, not his hairdresser.

I just assume it was Carrie's.

35 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

A hairdresser, not his hairdresser.

I just assume it was Carrie's.

Presumably Carrie said she was in the mood for a blow dry, and Johnson misunderstood and tagged along

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

As an American I find this entire concept of a govt injuction against publishing a story to be confusing.  What is this power?  How is it anything but a terrible idea?  The idea of not being allowed to publish a story about government corruption or malfeasance seems very problematic. 

This isn't like some reporter sniffing around Bletchley Park in 1940 here. 

Injunctions are taken out by private citizens or groups. I do not believe, though as I’m thankfully not a lawyer I can’t guarantee it, that the government can take out an injunction. 

They are indeed a terrible idea, one of ways that the wealthy try to prevent us from hearing about things they don't want to to know. An example of how the UK is drifting toward plutocracy. Fortunately the internet makes them less effective than they might otherwise be.

6 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I'm actually starting to believe the government will lose its majority before the 2024 election through sheer attrition at this rate.

6 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Who could possibly have anticipate that appointing a whip who had previously resigned as a whip after allegations of sexual harassment might backfire?

18 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

In my case, falling asleep and snoring during a tedious wedding speech.

Archived