UK Politics - Caesar: Most senators didn’t stab me, so all good!

Derfel Cadarn

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Dude, you are comparing the absolute vote numbers of the last GE to by-election with the latter having a much lower turnout.

Turnout 2019: 45,027

Turnout 2022: 27,466

18.000 vote would have been a vote share of roughly 66%. This is thread title levels of spin.

I think Spockydog would have a slightly better argument pointing out that Labour got a higher percentage of the vote in 2017 in Wakefield, although it was lower in the elections before and after that. That said, I think it's difficult to portray it as a bad result for Starmer, it's not as spectacular as the Lib Dem victory but still a very solid result.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

I don't think the lib dems are okay :lol:

Ed Davey clearly believes there's no such thing as too many election signs.

Well, he said today he wouldn't change, which most of us knew. This? This is who Johnson is. A man who likes to spend money he hasn't earned on things he doesn't need.

:lol:

Boris Johnson’s aspiration to serve for a third term ‘delusional’

Senior Conservatives accused Boris Johnson of increasingly “delusional” behaviour on Saturday night after he said he was already planning for his third term as prime minister, just two days after the Tories suffered a catastrophic double byelection defeat at the hands of the Liberal Democrats and Labour.

As talk of replacing Johnson intensified, several senior MPs questioned why the prime minister had been allowed to give interviews in which he said he would refuse to change his ways, and then, in even more defiant terms, told journalists at the Commonwealth summit in Rwanda that he was planning to be in Downing Street until well into the 2030s.

In a series of interventions that angered MPs, the prime minister suggested that he would not change his behaviour in office, regarded issues around his leadership as settled and saw his premiership extending into the distant future.

The Sunday Times are reporting that Johnson intends to invite Zelenskyy for a state visit to the UK to meet the Queen... and, apparently, to address the Conservative party conference.

Speaking of arrogance.

I have to say that Johnson's rhetoric, always detached from reality, has now become downright surreal as well as arrogant. After saying he was "focused on planning his third term", and some complete gobbledegook about not being willing to undergo a "psychological transformation" (which appeared to show his lifelong entitlement making him resent any suggestion that he should do anything other than go on being the hollow narcissist that he has always been), he is now again wrapping himself in the Ukrainian flag, claiming that the economic woes are entirely the consequence of the war and are "the price of freedom".

It makes me almost sad that the Tory party has fallen so low as to have not already got rid of him.

One thing that is pretty striking as an outsider is just how few ideas or even ambitions the Tories seem to have (beyond just holding power).  They have a huge majority right now.  What are they doing with it?  What are the big plans they're working towards achieving?  The Democrats are getting a ton of flak (rightfully so) for accomplishing so little in spite of having the tiniest of margins in both house and Senate.  What is Johnson's excuse?  He got brexit done, so you need to reelect him in order to get anything more?

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

What are the big plans they're working towards achieving? 

Mostly just lining their offshore accounts with backhanders and doing favours to their wealthy backers so when they get booted out they'll get all those cushy non-executive director appointments and expensive speaking appointments and whatnot.

11 hours ago, Maithanet said:

One thing that is pretty striking as an outsider is just how few ideas or even ambitions the Tories seem to have (beyond just holding power).  They have a huge majority right now.  What are they doing with it?  What are the big plans they're working towards achieving?  The Democrats are getting a ton of flak (rightfully so) for accomplishing so little in spite of having the tiniest of margins in both house and Senate.  What is Johnson's excuse?  He got brexit done, so you need to reelect him in order to get anything more?

My take:

Johnson has no big plans, no goals other than to enjoy being prime minister and generally do whatever he wants. Even Brexit was a policy he embraced solely as a means of becoming prime minister, without it appears even understanding its full implications (possibly he never expected it to actually happen).

Under different circumstances the ministers around Johnson might be still getting things done, except that: (a) Johnson understands that such ministers would be a threat to him and tends to select incompetent sycophants instead; and (b) several of the competent candidates left politics in disgust after Brexit, plus there are one or two remaining ones who are not willing to serve under him.

That said, they are doing a reasonably good job of bending our democracy to entrench their power. Voter suppression, gutting standards bodies, trampling on unwritten constitutional norms and so forth.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Pride month has maxed out Laurence Fox’s Limit Bar, causing him to initiate his Ultimate Cuntitude Limit Break Attack.

That's the prettiest nazi symbol I have seen in a long time

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Times’ have an ‘interesting’ method of visualising data.

They have been taking lessons from whoever does the charts on the Lib Dem leaflets.

also I think I would actually preferer Boris to still be PM when we go into the next election, and for the voters to remember things, instead of someone else and the sins of the party forgiven as we should give the new leader a chance / time / whatever.

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

That's the prettiest nazi symbol I have seen in a long time

I think this is answers this

14 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The tories are the most ready  to promote nonsensical culture wars—it’d be funny if it didn’t actually lead people to ignore their incompetence and corruption because they fear the dread woke gaining power

Archived