DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

If there was another thread created for DC, I missed it.

New trailer for Black Adam is up:

I'm a fan of Johnson, so this looks like a lot of fun. I'm just not sure where we are in this whole shared universe thing with DC. The one offs tend to be better than the "storyline" episodes.

I assume this connects to Shazam, but the tone is so different. No, it doesn't need to be light hearted like Levi's movie. But it's going to be hard merging the two onscreen characters (based on this trailer).

Update on the Superman news (ok, rumors): Apparently with the new Discovery CEO in charge, they're back to courting Cavil to continue wearing the cape.

https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/warner-bros-apparently-scrapping-superman-projects-cavill-returning-20220606

https://screenrant.com/superman-henry-cavill-dceu-movies-future-updates/

I'm all for more Cavil. His casting was spot on and MoS deserves a real sequel.

4 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I mostly liked MoS as well and agree that Cavil looks like Superman.  I'm for it.

I think we need a "Bobby in the Shower" from Dallas moment.  :lol:

Maybe he can spin the world backwards enough to wipe out BvS and JL? :lol: 

(current) Upcoming slate of movies:

• Black Adam - Release Date: Oct 21, 2022
  • Shazam! Fury Of The Gods - Release Date: Dec 21, 2022
  • Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom - Release Date: Mar 17, 2023
  • The Flash - Release Date: Jun 23, 2023
  • Blue Beetle - Release Date: Aug 18, 2023

18 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Maybe he can spin the world backwards enough to wipe out BvS and JL? :lol: 

All kidding aside, is the point of the Flashpoint movie not to just reset everything?

Is Black Adam a gateway movie for the Justice Society of America? I honestly know almost nothing about them, other than inheriting a comic when I was younger and, well seeing Hawkman around in stuff. 

Other than that, yes bring back Cavill Superman please.

No Green Lantern Corps news? Have they started shooting yet? That's fine. It's fine. 

The Wonder Twins series cancellation didn't generate much discussion. The Blue Beetle costume reveal seems to fall into the memory hole seconds after it was announced. 

I'm sure black Adam and Aquaman 2 will be massively successful, because of Johnson's and Mamoa's star power if nothing else. but Shazam 2 is only 6 months away and I'm detecting zero buzz for that film right now. We'll see what happens when a full trailer drops... eventually. 

13 hours ago, Myrddin said:

https://screenrant.com/superman-henry-cavill-dceu-movies-future-updates/

He had a real sequel.

From the screenrant article

While Cavill himself has received generally positive reviews for his performances, his depiction of Superman has drawn polarized reviews from critics and audiences alike for being a darker and flawed version of the hero in comparison to his brighter nature in the comics

"Darker"? I swear that neck snap still has peoples brains scrambled nearly a decade later.

Actually the vast majority of audiences liked Man of Steel. And does no one remember what happened with Superman Returns? A critical hit that had the Donner DNA all over it and it was an utter failure. How about Green Lantern? How about Batman and Robin? Or 2017's Justice League? WW84? Oh, yeah that movie was going to do a billion for sure. But hey, if they want to rip the guts and heart out of everything and just make goofy MCU clones, they're welcome to it. It's got nothing to do with me.

How Phillips and Reeves managed to get their films made I'll never know. 

Also from the screen rant article:

On the heels of the WarnerMedia and Discovery merger, The Wrap interviewed an anonymous DC studio insider to discuss future DCEU plans. Though unable to detail any actual plans, the anonymous source shared their thoughts on what the studio should do to recapture audience interest, namely bringing back Henry Cavill's Superman for a DCEU revival. See what the source said below:

"If anything they'll go back to individual movies unless De Luca has some plan. They need to get a f---ing Superman movie off the ground, and if the plan is a shared universe, a Cavill-led Superman needs to be the focal point. [They] should scratch every Superman project in development and start fresh with Cavill."

Information that includes the phrase "The Wrap" and "Anonymous DC studio insider" is about as reliable as flipping a coin.

After a baffling WW84 and pretty meh TSS, Birds of Prey, and Shazam movies (which critics loved BTW) I have zero confidence that these guys will deliver anything interesting ever again. 

ETA: ...and Shazam 2 hits theaters after a year full of MCU and Star Wars content and 1 week after Avatar 2? It's fine. It'll be fine. 

The thing I most like to see in this universe is Cavill as Superman returning, either in a Justice League film or as a Superman film. All the other stuff they have lined up the next 12 months barely attracts my attention. I might see Aquaman or The Flash.

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

"Darker"? I swear that neck snap still has peoples brains scrambled nearly a decade later.

Actually the vast majority of audiences liked Man of Steel. And does no one remember what happened with Superman Returns? A critical hit that had the Donner DNA all over it and it was an utter failure. How about Green Lantern? How about Batman and Robin? Or 2017's Justice League? WW84? Oh, yeah that movie was going to do a billion for sure. But hey, if they want to rip the guts and heart out of everything and just make goofy MCU clones, they're welcome to it. It's got nothing to do with me.

How Phillips and Reeves managed to get their films made I'll never know. 

On the one hand yes… but do you remember the reports of the big directive from Warner that said when planning the DCEU they had “No laughs” or some such circled on a big board?

There has to be room for tonal shifts between movies, which these folks didn’t understand.

Something In The Way makes for great thematic music for The Batman… not so much for Superman.

Cavill playing Superman totally works for me, so long as Zack Snyder is nowhere near it. Terrible CG moustache removal aside, the opening to Justice League with his chatting with the kids was the most Superman moment in any of the films he's been in, and someone else wanting to grab that vibe would be all right with me. 

31 minutes ago, Ran said:

Cavill playing Superman totally works for me, so long as Zack Snyder is nowhere near it. Terrible CG moustache removal aside, the opening to Justice League with his chatting with the kids was the most Superman moment in any of the films he's been in, and someone else wanting to grab that vibe would be all right with me. 

Same.

Yeah.  The only thing I had any interest in was the Flash film... though that interest is waning as I've never been a huge partisan of Ezra Miller in the part... and with all that's gone in, the movie might not even see the light of day. 

I know I've written this too many times on this board: The neck snap never bothered me as he's still becoming Superman. Zod was on track to kill more people. There was no other way to restrain him (as he was getting stronger). 

There has to be a reason someone chooses a "I will never..." life law. Something that shapes them. Living with the regret of killing the only (known) survivor of his own planet is what shapes him. Man of Steel was the origin story of Superman.

That's why BvS wasn't really a sequel to MoS. It was too focused on franchise building. And I LIKED how Bruce would view Superman after the events of MoS. I just didn't care for the execution (or quick turnaround with "Martha"). It was all just a weak framework to hang the duel of the century.

23 hours ago, Myrddin said:

If there was another thread created for DC, I missed it.

New trailer for Black Adam is up:

Holy forking shirtballs, does this ever look like a groaner. Mamoa is like Gary Oldman compared to Johnson. Pass.

---

I'm ok with Cavill, but I still think Routh is almost perfect. As always, depends on the project.  

3 hours ago, JGP said:

I'm ok with Cavill, but I still think Routh is almost perfect. As always, depends on the project.  

I'm a big Tyler Hoechlin fan.  What he's done with Superman in the Arrowverse is just fantastic.  I do not know if he'd translate to the big screen, but he's a perfect television Superman.

3 hours ago, JGP said:

I can't breathe lol

This made me go back and rewatch the Best Picture debacle and I can't stop laughing at the whole thing. There's a joke here, I'm sure, for someone more familiar with DC. Something something no there's been a mistake, X you're next in the DC line up"

So, didn't know what you were referencing. Holy non surprise. And look at WBs even recent history. Amber heard is going to be cut out and recast? Is Aquaman 2 going to be the new mustache, or will they will they reshoot with all involved? Think whatever you want to think about Heard, but if she is depraved then I'm not quite sure what could be made of Ezra.

WB needs to pull their heads out of it and abstain from supporting whatever the fuck Ezra is doing. If they can do that with Heard they can do that with Ezra. Intentionally or not, this situation is so ugly, all the way down, it's as if they'd secretly been recast as Colonial Lad. Make it stop.  

edit: corrected pronoun

On 6/9/2022 at 9:16 PM, Ran said:

Come on, admit it - a part of you really wants Superman to have a stache. It's ok, we're all friends here! There's no judging! :)

Archived