DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

12 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Bob's burgers both underperformed (Bob's Burgers hit streaming about 2 weeks after its theatrical release).

I love the show but the fact that that movie got a theatrical release at all is ...odd. I never hear anyone talking about it, I didn't think the show was that popular.

I would have gone to see the movie in theaters but covid killed all three mainstream theaters near me. :( I'm still hoping one will eventually re-open and be able to survive now that it's the only one.

56 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I love the show but the fact that that movie got a theatrical release at all is ...odd. I never hear anyone talking about it, I didn't think the show was that popular.

I would have gone to see the movie in theaters but covid killed all three mainstream theaters near me. :( I'm still hoping one will eventually re-open and be able to survive now that it's the only one.

Surely animated movies are really only there to suck up audiences from school holidays. No kids are going to watch Bobs Burgers. I sense a tax scam.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I've only ever seen clips but it looks like one of those things I need to get around to seeing. I like that kid. The eccentric little psycho that has her own meme.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Surely animated movies are really only there to suck up audiences from school holidays. No kids are going to watch Bobs Burgers. I sense a tax scam.

They might more concerned with streaming content and merchandising than pure box office. Such is the way of things these days.

Also, I need to revise my previous statement about Lightyear. According to sources from the inter webs, that movie had a production budget of $200 millions. After 45 days in theaters, (and the exclusive theatrical window about to close) its worldwide gross is a smidge under $215 millions. It's not just underperforming; it's Pixar's Green Lantern. Like, it's exactly Pixar's Green Lantern.

Batgirl movie not to be released

Damn... is Keaton the kiss of death or what????  He got replaced for Aquaman 2 and now he doesn't even get a chance to show up in Batgirl.  :stunned: 

Despite spending $90m and already going through reshoots, WB has decided not release Batgirl theatrically... or even on streaming services.  :stunned: How bad must this thing be?????

Warners have canned the Batgirl movie after it finished filming. $90-100 million gone in smoke. No HBO Max release, no home media release, no anything.

There's a great comment summing it up:

“We want a Justice League movie, but we don’t want that Justice League movie. We want a Ben Affleck Batman film series. Nevermind, we don’t want that anymore; now we want to bring back Michael Keaton, and fuck it, let’s have a separate Batman series starring Robert Pattinson. Actually hey, you know what, Affleck says he’s cool making cameos in the Flash and Aquaman, so sure, whythefucknot? We will spend ten years and literally hundreds of millions of dollars on a Flash movie starring Ezra Miller, but we won’t make sure that Ezra Miller isn’t, you know, crazy. We want a fun and breezy Batgirl movie, which will serve as the linchpin for all future DCEU movies... actually, you know what? Nevermind. Just cancel it. I don’t care if it was in post-production, and already has a release date. Just cancel that shit.”

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Warners have canned the Batgirl movie after it finished filming. $90-100 million gone in smoke. No HBO Max release, no home media release, no anything.

Holy shit.

They've graduated from announcing projects that never happen to making films that never get released. What a fiasco. They couldn't hammer it into an HBOMax miniseries or something? 

I had little awareness of this move aside from the fact it was being made, so I don't really have an opinion about it. I feel sorry for Leslie Grace. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

On the other hand, releasing the film would have meant an additional $100-$120 million spent on Marketing and distribution. 

I'm not saying it isn't a baffling move, but there's more to consider than just the production cost. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Wouldn't releasing it on HBO Max without marketing $$ be better than not releasing it at all?  Even if it's terrible it could end up a cult fav like Showgirls.  

My thoughts as well. Not releasing it at all is baffling assuming it's done. I didn't care about it at all and this makes me actually want to check it out.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My thoughts as well. Not releasing it at all is baffling assuming it's done. I didn't care about it at all and this makes me actually want to check it out.

Ha.  It could be marketing genius at work here.  Now that they've announced they refuse to release it at all, and generated a ton of free publicity and 'car crash' interest, when they do stream it on HBO, it will get a much larger audience. They've already prepared the public that it will suck, and was indeed so bad they never wanted to release it at all.  Mission accomplished.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That might have worked if there was a fan campaign to support it, but this movie hasn't really generated much energy until today TBH. 

24 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That might have worked if there was a fan campaign to support it, but this movie hasn't really generated much energy until today TBH. 

What has DC done that's generated much energy these days? I've been getting into their comics over the last year and Idk why they can't make some better shit.

I never got around to watching the Justice League… but the only reason I want to watch Flash is to see Keaton as Batman again.  I would have watched Batgirl just for that.

And not planning for Batman Beyond with Keaton as Bruce is just criminal.

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What has DC done that's generated much energy these days? I've been getting into their comics over the last year and Idk why they can't make some better shit.

Conversely, no one was talking about this film (most DC projects in general) was there ever any indication that there was issues with the Batgirl movie?  

DC just can't find people who can do their material justice...no pun intended...

26 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Conversely, no one was talking about this film (most DC projects in general) was there ever any indication that there was issues with the Batgirl movie?  

DC just can't find people who can do their material justice...no pun intended...

DC has mostly gotten Batman right, it's the other stuff that's more miss than hit. I just finished Superman For All Seasons and am just beginning All-Star Superman and it's honestly better than any Superman movie I recall seeing. 

28 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And not planning for Batman Beyond with Keaton as Bruce is just criminal.

I've said it here before, it blows my mind Batman Beyond hasn't been tried yet. It would give any creator a huge blank canvas to play with.

Archived