DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

On 8/3/2022 at 10:17 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

According to Nielsen ratings, there was a slight decline in season 2, but not enough to be really concerned. However, if that decline continues in the established arrowverse pattern, I wouldn't expect it to last beyond season 3 or 4. 

And yes, I realize what's shown on that chart is not comprehensive, but it's probably not an outlier either. There's a reason why Batwoman was cancelled. Note the decline in 18-49 demo viewers from season 2. 

There's also The CW's collapse in revenue after the cancellation of its ultra-lucrative Netflix deal, a disaster which the CW shows were very unlikely to recover from (apparently Superman & Lois was partially saved by the BBC paying a surprisingly large amount to air it in the UK) and have been mown down with wild abandon ever since, since HBO Max can't remotely match the money they had coming in before.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:23 PM, Corvinus85 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/speculation-fire-around-hbo-max-182322390.html

It seems there's a lot of fear that HBO Max is going to get gutted and they'll be doing less original content. 

This concern was directly addressed and refuted in the earnings call. They are instead betting big on HBO and HBO Max and promise to increase funding dramatically for the next couple of years, while locking in Casey Bloys and most of the HBO execs under him because they believe they're the best in the business.

Who knows where things will be after those next two years, of course.

42 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There's also The CW's collapse in revenue after the cancellation of its ultra-lucrative Netflix deal, a disaster which the CW shows were very unlikely to recover from (apparently Superman & Lois was partially saved by the BBC paying a surprisingly large amount to air it in the UK) and have been mown down with wild abandon ever since, since HBO Max can't remotely match the money they had coming in before.

We don't have HBOMax in Canada. I know Sup & Lo is airing on CTV here. It isn't on Canadian Netflix but several other CW shows still are.

I still find it rather sick that they're releasing that Flash film. I mean Miller is basically an out law at this point and even for a time used social media to mocked the police who were attempting to find Miller. It's going to be a PR nightmare to advertise that film, I tell you take much.

4 minutes ago, sifth said:

I still find it rather sick that they're releasing that Flash film. I mean Miller is basically an out law at this point and even for a time used social media to mocked the police who were attempting to find Miller. It's going to be a PR nightmare to advertise that film, I tell you take much.

I'm with you, but the sunk cost is probably too large not to. $200m is the reported budget and my understanding is they've probably spent around half that over the previous decade developing the project.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm with you, but the sunk cost is probably too large not to. $200m is the reported budget and my understanding is they've probably spent around half that over the previous decade developing the project.

They'll have Ezra do some soul searching and rehabilitate his rep before the film comes out. If they could rehabilitate Robert Downey Jr's career, this'll be easy.

Some fantastically unreliable internet sources are reporting that the Green Lantern Corps series is dead. 

ETA:

There are also rumors that Aquaman 2 and Shazam 2 are being pushed back. These are just rumors, but in the case of Shazam 2 it's actually a good idea I think. 

Again, "rumors", but apparently test audiences were confused by Michael Keaton's inclusion as Bruce Wayne in Aquaman 2 and this triggered Affleck's return. Why the hell would they put Keaton in Aquaman 2?  

25 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They'll have Ezra do some soul searching and rehabilitate his rep before the film comes out. If they could rehabilitate Robert Downey Jr's career, this'll be easy. 

Yep, PR 101 will be for him to go away for awhile then have him comeback with some sob story while having him do interviews with friendly media members. His image will be fixed so long as he can play the part (while probably still being a total creep IRL)

There are also rumors that Aquaman 2 and Shazam 2 are being pushed back. These are just rumors, but in the case of Shazam 2 it's actually a good idea I think. 

Again, "rumors", but apparently test audiences were confused by Michael Keaton's inclusion as Bruce Wayne in Aquaman 2 and this triggered Affleck's return. Why the hell would they put Keaton in Aquaman 2?

They have a continuity problem stemming from the Flash movie is a safe bet. People need to see that movie for these other ones to make sense, so that's even more of a sunk cause. Keaton is also in Batgirl and that may have been a factor in scraping the entire project.

36 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Some fantastically unreliable internet sources are reporting that the Green Lantern Corps series is dead. 

ETA:

You realize Miller in all likelihood is molesting children. Best of luck on the WB’s part saving that career.

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I thought the accusation was grooming, not molestation. And the "likelihood" is an open question. 

Close enough. Millers also a wanted fugitive at the moment, who’s openly mocked the cops on social media.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

They have a continuity problem stemming from the Flash movie is a safe bet. People need to see that movie for these other ones to make sense, so that's even more of a sunk cause. Keaton is also in Batgirl and that may have been a factor in scraping the entire project.

On the one hand I understand what you are saying; on the other hand they have the Joker movie completely unrelated to anything else they’ve done and they are getting ready to film a musical sequel starring Lady GaGa.

So which is it?  We trust the audience to discern a bit of a side project?  Or we need the audience to be spoon fed the reason we are tugging on their nostalgia?

Or maybe it’s just that Joker was actually good and everything else they have been putting out is crap?

41 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So which is it?  We trust the audience to discern a bit of a side project?

They already did with the first one didn't they?

Better question, all those American media outlets that lost their shit over the first one, are they going to be all like, "Hi. Yeah, it's me. Sorry we went all "PMRC" with the last one. Could we get some passes to the premiere?" 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Or maybe it’s just that Joker was actually good and everything else they have been putting out is crap?

Was it? Good that is.  I still cannot fathom why people wanted this. I still have zero desire to see this and really a film focused on the arch nemesis of the hero who doesn't even appear in the film...?   Hard pass. Every time.

5 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Was it? Good that is.  I still cannot fathom why people wanted this. Instill have zero desire to see this and really a film focused on the arch nemesis of the hero who doesn't even appear in the film...?   Hard pass. Every time.

I actually never watched it either, just know it got a lot of critical praise.

8 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Was it? Good that is.  I still cannot fathom why people wanted this. Instill have zero desire to see this and really a film focused on the arch nemesis of the hero who doesn't even appear in the film...?   Hard pass. Every time.

:huh:

It was brilliant. Although I didn't think it was the kind of film that would benefit from a sequel. I'm still scratching my head at that. I hope they can do something interesting with it. 

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I actually never watched it either...

:huh:

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

...just know it got a lot of critical praise.

It got praise from movie goers, the Academy, and the European press. The American press, particularly the entertainment media that revolves around CBM's, less so.

And reading a lot of the commentary about, "Incel" this and, "angry white guy" that, and not a single word about the actual themes in the film (which are not subtle) some of these people shouldn't be reviewing films. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Um, no. There's a big difference I'd say. The accusation itself is disturbing enough. You don't need to add to it. 

And didn't Tokata Iron Eyes (who is now an adult) come out recently and say the allegation was bullshit?

Yea, she's only 18 now, so calling her an adult is pushing it. I find it rather disturbing that you're defending his actions, to be perfectly honest. Another story has Miller leaving a whole bunch of guns around the house and a child putting a bullet in her mouth.

7 minutes ago, sifth said:

Yea, she's only 18 now, so calling her an adult is pushing it. I find it rather disturbing that you're defending his actions, to be perfectly honest.

I'm not defending anything. I'm suggesting a bit of precision when we talk about the accusations and I'm pointing out some of the complexities. I'm sorry the alleged victim coming forward and refuting the story is inconvenient for you. 

18 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It was brilliant.

No, Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy were brilliant.  Todd Phillips applying that to the Joker character is not brilliant.

The Joker looked completely uninteresting to me and mostly still does (that most of the people whose movie opinions I fuck with think it's an okay Scorcese ripoff at best and shit at worst isn't helping my desire there). I haven't seen it partly because of that, partly because them deciding to use a Gary Glitter song while he's still alive, thus giving him royalties, pissed me off on general principles, but I probably will eventually. 

But, you know, at least they tried something. DC films have clearly been at their best by miles when not trying to cram a tone consistent for a mixed universe (that's not been helped by the bosses repeatedly changing what that mixed tone should be, but still). Black Adam looks completely crippled by that. They really need to commit to more films that are purely their own shit, not just Batman related stuff. 

Archived