DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Wonder of that Frank Quitely art from Morrison's All-Star Superman is a hint at the tonal and thematic direction of Gunn's film?

The Authority feels like a weird choice, given the JL analogness of them. Now, Planetary OTOH...

I could do without the Authority. I’m sure there are some good story arcs out there but I’m definitely not sold on the majority of the characters (which really felt like a Wildstotm dark Justice League). 

I’ll confess that Midnighter (who really seems to be just an overpowered sadomasochistic Batman) was enjoyable in the recent DC Vampires story.

That said, if I never see Jack Hawksmoor (the only really non-derivative character on the team) again, it will be too soon.

ETA:  Creature Commandos, though?  With GI Robot?  That’s some appointment TV for this Bronze Age lad!

9 minutes ago, hauberk said:

I’ll confess that Midnighter (who really seems to be just an overpowered sadomasochistic Batman)

That's not really true, tbf.  Obviously he looks like that and is meant to, but as far as personality, backstory and powers go, he's way closer to Wolverine. 

Have a read of Steve Orlando's Midnighter run, if you can. Very enjoyable. 

But at the same time, and not picking on polish personally, but you probably can't get a better illustration of how difficult that all is than seeing 'Levi might be an anti-vaxxer, oh no', 'can't believe they're promoting that Ezra Miller joint', and 'hooray a Warren Ellis adaptation' in quick succession.

You're not wrong, but (unless the secret writer of the film is Ellis himself, which tbf is quite possible), for me there is a difference between using something he wrote, a while ago, and for a third party, and pushing a star vehicle for Miller.

It's also fair to say that the actual industry expectations for both are very different. As far as I can tell, Ellis has had basically nothing published since the stuff came out. Mind, the latest update from the group accusing him isn't encouraging in so far as him taking proper accountability goes. 

But I mean although I actually haven't bought anything by Ellis since the stuff came out, I do talk up his work and I turn out for Tom Cruise movies, for whom there'd be a pretty good argument to make that he's worse, so I can hardly claim to a moral purity about things like this. Especially since my usual attempt at a line in film productions etc is who's in a position of power/control on the production, and there's no argument to be made that Cruise isn't in control on Mission Impossible. 

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That's not really true, tbf.  Obviously he looks like that and is meant to, but as far as personality, backstory and powers go, he's way closer to Wolverine. 

Have a read of Steve Orlando's Midnighter run, if you can. Very enjoyable. 

My first exposure to him was his Stormwatch debut. While Ellis has described him as the Shadow by way of John Woo. My take feels just as accurate.  It’s possible that later creators have done positive things with the character, but Ellis and Millar in conjunction leave a whole lot of stink on the character for me.  We’re the Orlando books to fall in my lap, I might expend the energy to open and read them, but that’s the maximum effort I’m willing to put into it. 

2 hours ago, hauberk said:

My first exposure to him was his Stormwatch debut. While Ellis has described him as the Shadow by way of John Woo. My take feels just as accurate.  It’s possible that later creators have done positive things with the character, but Ellis and Millar in conjunction leave a whole lot of stink on the character for me.  We’re the Orlando books to fall in my lap, I might expend the energy to open and read them, but that’s the maximum effort I’m willing to put into it. 

I did not know until today that Stormwatch had an offshoot. I'll be investigating The Authority now that I've learned of this, as it sounds intriguing. Also, I am *really* behind on comics, having stopped reading them in 2000 when I entered university. ...Have I missed much? :)

Well there goes my morning, falling down the rabbit hole of DCU announcements. 

A couple of thoughts stand out, based on a conversation had between me and my bestie: 

1. I like that he talks about the writing aspect of not just being beholden to dates - this is a good thing. And sad that it even needs to be stated. 

2. Having different aesthetic visions for each project is a definite good, as I am tired of the bland color grading used in MCU films. (As Joe Cornish recently note in a playlist interview, "Marvel...had this universe where the movies had to integrate.") Integration of course resulting in a unified and uninteresting color grading rule across seemingly everything they pump out.

3. It looks like they're digging into DC lore a bit more than has been done in the past, which is certainly a good thing. 

4. The first ten years seems to be divided into two chapters, with the first chapter being subtitled Gods and Monsters. 

5. Gunn and Safran have made it clear that they do have an endgame in mind. Quoting Gunn (courtesy of io9):

"We’re not making it up as we go along... The 8-10 year plan is two chapters and there’s an ending to our basic story that we tell there, but it’s not the ending of the universe. So, now, will Peter and I be here beyond that time? [Laughs] I’m already tired. It’s been two months. But those first two chapters are worked out, and then it can go on from there."

6. Batman *and* Robin. Finally. And it's someone other than Dick Greyson. Every live action film since Batman Begins has struggled to know what to do with Robin (I can't speak for animated projects, which remain unseen by me). It'll be nice to see how that dynamic plays out, given that Damien is apparently, as Gunn calls him, “a little son of a bitch,” an “assassin”, and a “murderer". 

7. The writers room is an interesting collection of people: James Gunn, Drew Goddard, Christina Hodson, Jeremy Carver, Christal Henry, and Tom King. 

8. It looks like they understand that not everything has to appeal to everyone, and are making projects with diverse tones, and not making everything necessarily mandatory viewing. 

9. The Flash will be the lynchpin that gets everything into motion, as it looks like we're getting Flashpoint, which will help reset the DCU timeline or...something. (As long as it's better executed than it was on season 3 of The Flash, I'll be happy. Gods love them for trying, but I didn't feel like they did the source material justice.)

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

I did not know until today that Stormwatch had an offshoot. I'll be investigating The Authority now that I've learned of this, as it sounds intriguing. Also, I am *really* behind on comics, having stopped reading them in 2000 when I entered university. ...Have I missed much? :)

I’m referencing the Wildstorm (Image) Stormwatch that predated the first Authority book. 

Ellis had a moment or two of interesting but I feel like his primary goal when playing with other peoples toys is yo break as much stuff as possible. Zero stars. Not a fan. Would not recommend. 

My feelings on Millar are similar. 

12 minutes ago, hauberk said:

I’m referencing the Wildstorm (Image) Stormwatch that predated the first Authority book. 

Ellis had a moment or two of interesting but I feel like his primary goal when playing with other peoples toys is yo break as much stuff as possible. Zero stars. Not a fan. Would not recommend. 

My feelings on Millar are similar. 

Did a bit of reading online: he took over after...Wildstorm Rising, which was sort of like the big reset button to the...Image comics universe? 

6 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Did a bit of reading online: he took over after...Wildstorm Rising, which was sort of like the big reset button to the...Image comics universe? 

That may have been when Wildstorm started to try to create a cohesive universe without all of the Liefeld and Silvestri.  

7 minutes ago, sifth said:

My dream show/movie is a team up where Constantine, The Question and Detective Chimp, team up to solve cases.

Can someone please give @sifth a few million bucks to make this awesomely wild movie happen? Kkthxz!

Since Gunn is digging up obscure DC properties, let's see Travis Morgan crash down in Skartaris!

He showed up in Justice League Unlimited, so it's not completely beyond the realm of possiblity...

50 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Since Gunn is digging up obscure DC properties, let's see Travis Morgan crash down in Skartaris!

He showed up in Justice League Unlimited, so it's not completely beyond the realm of possiblity...

He’s showing up in Tom King’s Danger Street right now so it’s quite possible. 

Really? That's cool. I thought Morgan was dead in the current DC timeline, with his son taking over as the Warlord.

I found my brother's collection a few years ago and have been meaning to re-read the series. Before I read Tolkien or Brooks, I started off reading fantasy through comics like Warlord and Elfquest. It's been awhile since I've read either.

5 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Really? That's cool. I thought Morgan was dead in the current DC timeline, with his son taking over as the Warlord.

I found my brother's collection a few years ago and have been meaning to re-read the series. Before I read Tolkien or Brooks, I started off reading fantasy through comics like Warlord and Elfquest. It's been awhile since I've read either.

It’s an odd character mix. Travis Morgan, the blue Starman, Creeper, Manhunter, Metamorpho, Lady Cop and the Dingbats of Danger Street. 

Dr Fate and the New Gods work in somehow as well. 

Archived