DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

8 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I found my brother's collection a few years ago and have been meaning to re-read the series. Before I read Tolkien or Brooks, I started off reading fantasy through comics like Warlord and Elfquest. It's been awhile since I've read either.

Did the Pinis ever resolve the cliffhanger from the last of the Elfquest comics that were in color? I remember there was something about a shining door being opened and then the comic ended. That would have been the...sixth? graphic novel that my library had available at the time. 

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Did the Pinis ever resolve the cliffhanger from the last of the Elfquest comics that were in color? I remember there was something about a shining door being opened and then the comic ended. That would have been the...sixth? graphic novel that my library had available at the time. 

The shining door to the High One's Palace? Yeah, that was in the original Quest (20 issues black and white magazine sized later republished as 32 issues with Marvel). That was followed by an excellent 8 issue Siege on Blue Mountain story. Then King of the Broken Wheel story (9 issues, I think). Quality was hit an miss after that, with them bringing in other writers and artists.  There was a fantastic issue that was an epilogue to KotBW (Hidden Years 9.5, I think. Rogue's Challenge). Probably my favorite single comic that addressed the thousand year rivalry between Cutter and Rayek. More stuff happened after that, but I fell out of comics around then.

I did buy them all in 5 volumes a few years ago (reprinted in black and white). And the four issue Final Quest series that brought the saga to a close. I still haven't read FQ, even though it's on my shelf, because I want to re-read the entire run first.  

So do I have this right that Blue Beetle, Aquaman 2, and Peacemaker will all continue despite the events of flashpoint? So we have one of these awkward scenarios where viewers of Aquaman 2 can assume that something like Aquaman 1 happened, but nothing like Justice League happened (that plot isn’t salvageable without those versions of Superman and Batman)? Damn I wish they’d gone for a clean break here. I have no idea how they’ll make the ending of Flashpoint work elegantly when they have to tee up such a specific set of changes. Kinda breaks your immersion to see Barry finding out how all those characters who happened to have films in development already have survived. 

Well, comics Flashpoint was just the same - a new continuity except for Batman and the Green Lantern Corps, who just continued as if nothing had happened. So they're just being true to the comics. ;)

On 1/31/2023 at 7:36 PM, Ran said:

From THR, talking with Gunn and Safran:

Very, very excited about this Superman film. And the Swamp Thing film too.

HBO doing Lanterns is very likely to be worth watching too.

I know little of DC comics outside getting hit by second hand hype for some of the bigger events and whatever the hell Superfriends were.  I haven't watch a single DC show on CW for instance.

Does the political and social setting of Themyscira lend itself to a "Game of Throne style" show, or is this going to be a lot of new invention?

Are the Green Lantern Corps really lend itself to True Detective style storytelling, or is it going to be just a buddy-cop scenario?

I definitely think there's room for a gritty Green Lantern Corps story -- there's been some pretty dark and serious storylines over the course of GL's history.

Themyscira is, as far as I can recall, generally sketchier and certainly I don't think any kind of "Game of Thrones"-like story of intrigue and civil war has ever taken place there, but I'm less certain about it.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, sifth said:

Not sure how I feel about this. The trailer looks really cool, but Ezra Miller is a monster, that should probably be in jail.

Ezra Miller does seem like (innocent until proven guilty caveat still holds) a rather problematic individual.  That said, that trailer seems intensely “spoilerly” to me.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:50 AM, IlyaP said:

FWIW, every single Elfquest comic published up to 2014 is available free online from the official website

Archived