DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

WHAT. 

Excuse me. I need to go and read ten thousand or something Elfquest comics! I'll see y'all in 2024! :D

When you finish Kings of the Broken Wheel, jump to this issue for the epilogue I mentioned above.

• 1 month later...

Based on what I'm seeing at the moment, Shazam! 2! isn't fairing well critically and opening weekend is looking incredibly weak. 

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a particular fan of the first film, but still I don't like to see this. And while I despise the vegetable consensus, it still carries weight with a lot of CBM movie fans. If this thing has the kind of typical drop that comes after early reviews... it's not looking good. Maybe WOM will help it but damn, have they put any energy into promoting this film? It's out tomorrow (I think) and I've not seen much. 

Rotten Tomatoes

Critics Consensus: More unfocused and less satisfying than its predecessor, Shazam! Fury of the Gods still retains enough of the source material's silly charm to save the day. 

Score Number of Reviews Average Rating
All Critics 65% 60 6.20/10
Top Critics 36% 14 5.10/10

Metacritic: 51 (23 Reviews)

8 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yeah, but like me, you're probably old enough to have seen the Tim Burton Batman films in the theater. Except I despise the current nostalgia trend in CBM's 

Fun fact, it was the very first film I saw in the theater. I think I was 3 at the time.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Fun fact, it was the very first film I saw in the theater. I think I was 3 at the time.

That's a good one. I have no memory of being three.

Mine might have been Star Wars or Donner's Superman. I would have been around the right age for one of those to be my first, but I have no memory of seeing either of those in a cinema. A consequence of having seen them so many times on home video I guess. 

I do remember seeing Bedknobs and Broomsticks at a matinee when I was a kid. The movie came out in '71 (too early) but was re-released in '79, which is probably the one I saw. If it wasn't my first it was definitely close to it. 

Wow. I googled "1970's Disney films". They sure made a lot of shit back then. 

I think one of my earliest tv memories was seeing the Star Wars Holiday Special.  I wouldn't finished my dinner because it has peas in it so I had to sit at the dinner table while it played behind me, while I tried to look at it over my shoulder.   The horror, the horror.    I didn't know what Star Wars was, but I knew Hardware Wars was parodying it.   Which I guess was an earlier tv memory.

There was a time when I thought I dreamed the SW holiday special. I saw it (or a portion of it) when I was younger and all I remembered was Wookie children getting into mischief. I never thought much of it.

Then a few years ago people started talking about it again and snippets started showing up online. I'm like, "Holy shit that was real?"

Seriously, my memory before the age of 6 is a total dumpster fire. 

On 3/16/2023 at 12:51 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Maybe WOM will help it but damn, have they put any energy into promoting this film? It's out tomorrow (I think) and I've not seen much. 

That’s interesting because I feel like it has been every other commercial I have seen on TV for the last two weeks.  Isn’t that funny how the markets can be so different?

The first movie I remember seeing was a re-release of Lady and the Tramp in Italy, probably at Camp Ederlie in Vicenza. That would have been early 80s. The next film I remember seeing was either Empire or Return of the Jedi, but I admit I don't remember when this was supposed to be. We were in Italy until 1984, and I distinctly remember seeing this film in Miami... so maybe a matinee screening when we transferred back to the States? Don't know.

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

That’s interesting because I feel like it has been every other commercial I have seen on TV for the last two weeks.  Isn’t that funny how the markets can be so different?

That's interesting. It could also be the case here but I don't watch much TV. All the films I've seen in the cinema in the last year didn't have a trailer for it and I've been exposed to very little online adverts. 

Lately I'm getting tons of ads on youtube telling me Thor L&T is on D+ which seems really odd to me. Its been there for months and no one who'd care is asking themselves, "I wonder where I can stream this movie?"

Archived