DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

On 8/9/2022 at 6:19 AM, sifth said:

I have to give Miller some credit. They led the police on a merry chase, for nearly two months. Heck Miller even mocked the police on social media while doing it. I wonder if Miller will try to plead insanity.

No exactly, but it was expected that he was going to cite mental health issues. Let the rehab tour begin.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/16/entertainment/ezra-miller-seeks-treatment/index.html

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I'm shocked by this sudden turn of events. Truly an impossible thing to see coming, lol

I have mixed feelings in this area. As someone with a degree in psychology I'm quite happy that discussing mental health issues has become far less stigmatizing, but at the same time it's easy to see how people can abuse this and there's really nothing that can be done to stop that. I'm not sure what the macro solution is, but in the micro here Miller's claims should be acknowledged though that's not a justification for him continuing to be an actor. And this all reeks of trying to protect the bottom line.

Another blow for a separate property. The actor who plays Jonathan Kent on Superman & Lois will not be returning for season 3 (if there even is one) due to personal reasons.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/superman-lois-star-leaves-show-111328548.html

"Jordan Elsass has notified the Studio that he will not be returning to 'Superman & Lois' for season three due to personal reasons. The role of Jonathan Kent will be recast," the statement said.

Elsass has yet to comment publicly about why he is leaving the show, however, many fans have pointed to a now-deleted Instagram post from June in which the actor revealed that he was struggling with his mental health and planned to check into a facility.

"I now understand that I am suffering complex mental health issues and have begun ongoing treatment."

Translation: I now understand that I have completely screwed my personal career and two large film franchises for a company in the midst of cost cutting measures and have begun ongoing treatment."

• 2 months later...

How?!? How do they do this?!? How do they keep topping themselves?

p.s. Never think entertainment "journalism" isn't at least 30% marketing wank. 

p.p.s. Whomever published "WW84 is easily the best DC film since TDK." should never be listened-to ever again on any subject ever. If their friends and colleagues didn't immediately call them up to voice concern or ask if they'd been hit in the head or if they're really, really high, they're automatically persons of interest in my book and should be treated likewise. 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Fascinating move out of WBD, as James Gunn and Peter Safran are named co-chairs and co-CEOs of DC Films. 

Interesting choices.  I wonder if it just to keep Gunn away from Disney (Marvel and Star Wars) in the future.  With Peacemaker and the Suicide Squad he has shown he won't just take the safe marvel formula route.

With Gunn running the show, I wonder if my dream of one day seeing a movie about The Question, will finally happen. The guy certainly loves making films about characters most people have never heard of before.

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Marvel has basically absorbed Gunn’s essence  into its house style anyway, so will it get to the point where we cannot tell the difference between DC and Marvel movies?

The DC films, will be the ones where swearing is allowed and people get blown up in. We all know the MCU is scared of the R rating.

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Interesting choices.  I wonder if it just to keep Gunn away from Disney (Marvel and Star Wars) in the future.  With Peacemaker and the Suicide Squad he has shown he won't just take the safe marvel formula route.

That's funny because TSS felt very much like an R-rated MCU film to me; where GotG 1 & 2 are the least MCU films in the MCU. Still haven't seen Peacemaker.

Keep in mind that he will probably not be directing many films in his new role. 

3 hours ago, sifth said:

With Gunn running the show, I wonder if my dream of one day seeing a movie about The Question, will finally happen. The guy certainly loves making films about characters most people have never heard of before.

An HBO Max miniseries would be better for that I think. 

8 hours ago, sifth said:

The DC films, will be the ones where swearing is allowed and people get blown up in. We all know the MCU is scared of the R rating.

This is true, also you might spot the DC movies by the fact of them being actually funny, rather than ‘MCU everything is a sarcastic quip’ funny.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

Can he still direct Guardians as a co-CEO of DC?

He already finished both the Christmas special and the third film. I think film took place from November to April of last year/this year. What we really should be asking, is will he still be able to direct episodes of Peacemaker and his new tv show, that he's been keeping secret.

Henry Cavill was at the 92NY for a talk with Josh Horowitz. Among various things he was asked, like if he'd watch RoP (yes.... but not all of it) and HotD (YES, and loved it; the audience was definitely more in favor of the latter show than the former, too), or if he saw a future for himself on HotD or Loki (no to both; but he is my fan-cast for the Laughing Storm if Dunk and Egg takes off...), was about playing Superman again. Apparently the cameo for Black Adam, which Dwayne Johnson claims credit for (he says DC had "fired" Cavill and were very resistant to using him, but he insisted), is not a one-off and I guess there's more Superman stories being worked on. This quote caught my eye in particular:

"There is such a bright future ahead for the character, and I’m so excited to tell a story with an enormously joyful Superman.”

So, not something directed by Zack Snyder, then, I take it...

Of course, we've always known that Cavill preferred Whedon's take on the character than Snyder's, and horrid CG mustache aside the opening bit on Whedon's Justice League showed how naturally and easily Cavill could play the charm and wholesome goodness of Superman.

Archived