DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Charm. Inspiration. Warmth. The sense that you're a person who is the most powerful on Earth and you understand that but refuse to exploit it for selfish ends. Projecting a genuine interest in human beings as the most fascinating and valuable things you've ever seen, despite having travelled the universe. The idea that Clark Kent, not Superman, is who you really aspire to be, but you'll never stop being Superman, because you understand how important it is that he exists.

Out of curiosity, I have to ask in which movie have you actually seen this kind of Superman?

6 minutes ago, baxus said:

Out of curiosity, I have to ask in which movie have you actually seen this kind of Superman?

Any featuring Christopher Reeve, but particularly Superman II.

Bad mistake by Warner Bros losing Henry Cavill IMO. He would have guaranteed them dough.

Appointing Gunn is not turning out to be a great decision. I don't think he's right for the DC Universe and I thought Suicide Squad 2 was overrated.

20 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Appointing Gunn is not turning out to be a great decision. I don't think he's right for the DC Universe and I thought Suicide Squad 2 was overrated.

It's certainly better than Suicide Squad 1 by a large margin. Peacemaker is also a pretty good show. However I don't really want every single superhero movie to the same 80's soft rock inspired, self aware silliness. It's all a bit much now. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

You can certainly find stories of "young Clark Kent, rookie reporter" that are no longer "origin" material.

I believe this is what the Variety article reported it would be.

Gunn has been at work on the new Superman story for some time, insiders say. The script will focus on the character’s life as a cub reporter in the fictional city of Metropolis. Audiences will encounter him meeting key characters, like colleague Lois Lane, insiders added. Additionally, Variety sources said the new Gunn project will not replace the previously announced J.J. Abrams-Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman concept (which is still in active development).

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/james-gunn-writing-superman-movie-henry-cavill-out-1235461889/

3 hours ago, baxus said:

What is there to bring to the role of Superman?

I mean, there is a reason why no actor in that role has ever won (or even been nominated) for a major award and it's pretty obvious why.

I'm very confused by this logic. Why NOT demand the highest craftmanship out of these (increasingly ridiculous) movies? Why bother with mid tier entertainers if you could aim high? 

And, what Mormont said. 

edited - mistook your point about the awards and deleted my part of my reply

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Any featuring Christopher Reeve, but particularly Superman II.

Yeah those movies have not aged well, and are pretty hard to watch, but there is no denying the charm Reeves had. Like, he radiated a ... goodness. Maybe it was the soft lens they used when he was Clark, maybe it was just plain cheesy, but Reeves makes you feel something when he's playing Superman. Cavil, on the other hand, is just a (very) handsome statue. 

I'm wondering if Netflix are thinking of a spinoff Sherlock Holmes-centric series using his version of the character? That might be interesting, or at least a reasonable stopgap move.

The rumours are both a younger take on Superman and James Bond are in the offing, so I think he might be off the table for the latter as well (although at 39 he could easily do the role for 10-15 years if necessary).

Actually the worse part about the Superman news for me is not Cavill, it's the likely cancellation of Superman & Lois. Tyler Hoechlin has been a great Clark Kent with a family and a decent Superman. Though at least season 3 seems to still happen at the CW in the spring.

Momoa next, please. Give him Lobo if you have too [rather not, but then, I have little interest in seeing Lobo pulling resources from this relaunch so hope that's just noise] 

Godot had her time, but if they're scaling back the age thing I'm certain there are plenty of beautiful, Israeli women [Amazons have that accent] with some acting chops.  

As a comics nerd, I fully approve of this new direction by DC/WB. 

Another good example of the absurd job that Reeve did as Superman and Clark - this time you see his change in like 2 seconds. 

I don't think that Snyder ever really respected the Clark Kent part of Superman and leaned a lot more into the alienation of Superman instead of his solution to it, which was being Clark Kent. I don't know if Cavill can do that sort of thing or not, but I don't think he was really given a choice. 

I'm kind of the opposite of you all. I never liked the bumbling idiot Clark. Yes, Reeve was able to slide from one character to another, but Kal-El's alter ego always felt like an unfortunate necessity even as a kid. I liked the Clark from the DC animated universe much better.

So, while I grew up with Reeve's Superman, I really hope Gunn steers clear of that version of Clark. 

Now that I'm baked and drawing, and listening to music, and thinking...

32 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Another good example of the absurd job that Reeve did as Superman and Clark - this time you see his change in like 2 seconds. 

I don't think that Snyder ever really respected the Clark Kent part of Superman and leaned a lot more into the alienation of Superman instead of his solution to it, which was being Clark Kent. I don't know if Cavill can do that sort of thing or not, but I don't think he was really given a choice. 

I agree. That's the larger part of the deal to show Kal-El as human.   

The slow pitch I read [mentioned it before, fuck me, what was her name] her thing was Clark as cutting his teeth at the Planet. Really into the humanitarian beat wherever that takes him and as Perry allows. Meeting Lois, arguably one of the greatest non powered characters in comics, the whole gang. The world needs Superman but doesn't know it yet, and meanwhile you got this everyday down on his luck but more or less decent guy that got exposed to whatever and becomes the Parasite. Losing everything. Family. Dignity. Humanity. The people Clark champions at the Planet. Then all the subsequent conflict, the Planet staff, Clark having to learn how to deal with being human, and Superman, and here's this guy, this incredibly powerful and destructive being, all just rage, loss, and Clark has compassion for him, even if the Parasite absolutely must be stopped. Navigating all that on character.

I'm not doing her idea justice [I will figure that shit out, I engaged with it just have to figure where] she dove much deeper. Getting into how the internal conflicts between Clark and his humanity, and the Parasite. How Clark lost his entire people, but he found us. On an intellectual level he grasps the loss of his home planet, but all he is, is human. Enter the Parasite who was human, had a more or less happy home, doing ok but the struggle is real, then you lose the only thing you ever known, and become this monster.  

Was seeing it as I read it and I was transported. I'm telling you, if I was Gunn I'd pick her up on the double.      

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of Gunn writing the Superman softboot though, but probably no better way to put his creative stamp on this part of it. I don't know.

Love the relaunch, guess we'll see his chops.  

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I don't believe I've ever seen that clip before...

ETA:  And as to the "With a blank?" punchline.  I don't know Lois, why don't we ask Brandon Lee or Alec Baldwin about those blanks!  Guns are not toys!!!! Superman should have lectured her sternly.

49 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I don't believe I've ever seen that clip before...

ETA:  And as to the "With a blank?" punchline.  I don't know Lois, why don't we ask Brandon Lee or Alec Baldwin about those blanks!  Guns are not toys!!!! Superman should have lectured her sternly.

It’s from the Donner cut of Superman II. That’s actually from his screen test with a different actress, hence the slightly different looking costume and hair. It’s possible that’s literally the first time he played the character on camera. 

Have Superman I and II aged badly? Only in as much as any film has if you ask me. I’m less a fan of the tone of Luthor, but that’s kinda where the comics were at the time. But everything about this Superman I’ve always adored, nobody has conveyed that much sincerity or, well basically all the things @mormont mentioned. That score still gives me chills, the little hint of it in that clip as he straightens up. Still right up there as my favourite superhero movies.

Speaking of score, the Flight over Krypton is also magnificent. Try to put out of your mind that you ever saw Superman Returns, and imagine the DCCU was rebooting now after Snyder, and this was the teaser for the new Superman:

Doesn’t it feel refreshing? I know that movie had its problems but that teaser still makes me want to watch it.

Archived