DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

20 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Something about this fills me with dread. It has the air of some crazy guy who’s barged his way into the head of the studios office and is running off as many pitch ideas as he can before he’s thrown out. 

I mean I recognise many of the properties he’s talking about but the way it’s put across seems much more haphazard than the way that Marvel introduces its plan for each phase. 

Will they actually be able to deliver on any of these movies? Time will tell 

It's a bit ewww that they're still bigging up Flash and defending Ezra Miller.

As for the next projects though, I'm pretty pleased they've gone for Authority as one of them. No fucking about, either, straight-up the Authority wanting to do good but being, well, authoritarian, as they should be presented. 

Booster Gold being one of the projects is also a good sign for me. Not just relying on the already-existing big names. Obviously Blue Beetle kind of does that already, but that was before Gunn's involvement and isn't part of that plan directly.

Yeah, some of the choices are new to me (I was more of a Marvel comic fan and DC animation fan growing up).

Paradise Lost could be cool. He didn't mention Diana, so I assume it'll be a prequel to her leaving, if she shows up at all. Maybe as a kid.

I'm glad they're going with Damien for Robin. I was afraid we'd have to see Jason Todd get "killed" again and then come back as Red Hood. 

And let's hope Lanterns finally does the GLC justice. No CGI suit! (?)

One open question: Does this mean Momoa is still Aquaman? It sounded like it will lead right into the new timeline. Maybe they'll use Flash to reset Arthur Curry's history as seen in the Snyderverse.

Wonder of that Frank Quitely art from Morrison's All-Star Superman is a hint at the tonal and thematic direction of Gunn's film?

The Authority feels like a weird choice, given the JL analogness of them. Now, Planetary OTOH...

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Wonder of that Frank Quitely art from Morrison's All-Star Superman is a hint at the tonal and thematic direction of Gunn's film?

I saw someone mention that each piece of art was deliberately chosen as reference, so you'd think so, yeah. 

Just now, polishgenius said:

I saw someone mention that each piece of art was deliberately chosen as reference, so you'd think so, yeah. 

That is heartening. I love All-Star Superman, and its gonzo love letter to the Silver Age.

OK, so totally new, all fresh reboot of the DC stuff, none of that confusing overlap, great.

Literally the first live action thing he mentions; Viola Davis will be returning as Amanda Waller… :blink:

Looking forward to some of it, no idea what most of it is. Does feel a bit scattershot, but if they can bring something decent and coherent to finally compete with Marvel I’m all for it. Best of luck James.

18 minutes ago, Ran said:

That is heartening. I love All-Star Superman, and its gonzo love letter to the Silver Age.

From THR, talking with Gunn and Safran:

Superman: Legacy: The movie featuring the Man of Steel that Gunn is writing and may direct, although no commitments on that end have been made. While the two previous titles are meant to be “aperitifs,” in Safran’s words, Superman is the true kick off for the duo’s DCU plans. “It’s not an origin story,” Safran said. “It focuses on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing. He is the embodiment of truth, justice, and the American way. He is kindness in a world that thinks that kindness as old-fashioned.” A release date of July 11, 2025 has been penciled in.

So we are going with a young Superman and a long established Batman in this world?  Gee... where else did I see that tried?

:rolleyes:

I guess that's how they get around the Waller being an established character.  Batman's rogues gallery is all there already (you know... just like in the original Suicide Squad/BvS).

42 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Also; can’t find it because searching your old posts makes no sense, but I totally called the idea of ‘DC Elseworlds’ branding for the non-canon stuff about two years ago.

I know that separating art from artist is a tricky conundrum and personally my view is that we all draw our own lines and they're not going to be consistent.

But at the same time, and not picking on polish personally, but you probably can't get a better illustration of how difficult that all is than seeing 'Levi might be an anti-vaxxer, oh no', 'can't believe they're promoting that Ezra Miller joint', and 'hooray a Warren Ellis adaptation' in quick succession.

I personally have no problem with any of these things, and frankly I'm more miffed that that jackass Mark Millar is going to bask in second-hand glory because they seem to be adapting his Authority run. 

I'm not saying any of those reactions are wrong, to be clear. They're all valid. Just saying it's a very good illustration of how tricky the topic can be.

ETA - also, Mark Millar is yeah, a jackass. Most famous man from Coatbridge though.

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

I personally have no problem with any of these things, and frankly I'm more miffed that that jackass Mark Millar is going to bask in second-hand glory because they seem to be adapting his Authority run. 

His Authority run was so trash. 

NB: given Millar's age, and that he is from Coatbridge, I'd say it's almost certain my mother taught him at some point. Seeing as she teaches English, it follows that to some extent, she may have contributed to developing his creative writing skills. Therefore, in some small way, my family may have to take part of the credit for the Millarverse. Food for thought.

;)

7 minutes ago, mormont said:

NB: given Millar's age, and that he is from Coatbridge, I'd say it's almost certain my mother taught him at some point. Seeing as she teaches English, it follows that to some extent, she may have contributed to developing his creative writing skills. Therefore, in some small way, my family may have to take part of the credit for the Millarverse. Food for thought.

;)

And now we know who to credit for Red Son (well, her and Grant Morrison). The rest must have been the fault of other teachers!

Archived