DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

DC had some fun movies I feel. 

I really enjoyed two if their most recent movies . The Batman and The Suicide Squad.

Just drop the whole Justice League stuff and focus on good stuff. I'm all for a pure superman movie with Cavill.

The Black Adam trailer just made me think that Dwayne Johnson should stick with action comedies in a jungle setting. That works for him.

So, they just need t preface every new movie with "The" to improve things. :lol:

Worked for The Joker too.

Coming to a theater soon: The Justice League: The Dawn of The Justice

Maybe they're secretly put Teen Titans Go's Starfire in charge of branding... 

The third season of Harley Quinn is apparently confirmed for a release late this summer. No exact date yet, but it is good to have some news on it. Pretty much the only property of DC I'm looking forward to:

https://collider.com/harley-quinn-season-3-release-window-hbo-max/

Reminder that Miller's pronouns are they/them. Yes they are a shitty person, but disrespecting their gender identity because of that both makes you shitty and makes it harder for other non-binary and trans people.

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting Rolling Stones article about the online campaign to "#ReleaseTheSnyderCut", with heavy suspicions that Zack Snyder hired a digital ad firm to inorganically push it, leading to three times as many bots as usually seen being involved in the whole thing. And also just general bad behavior from Snyder: threatening to destroy producers on social media, refusing to return studio property (hard drives with the footage), and possibly even collusion with Ray Fisher when looking at the timeline of Fisher targetting his ire at particular people shortly after Snyder privately got into it with WB over those same people. 

Snyder does not come off well, and basically acted like John Galt would under similar circumstances.

21 minutes ago, Ran said:

Very interesting Rolling Stones article about the online campaign to "#ReleaseTheSnyderCut", with heavy suspicions that Zack Snyder hired a digital ad firm to inorganically push it, leading to three times as many bots as usually seen being involved in the whole thing. And also just general bad behavior from Snyder: threatening to destroy producers on social media, refusing to return studio property (hard drives with the footage), and possibly even collusion with Ray Fisher when looking at the timeline of Fisher targetting his ire at particular people shortly after Snyder privately got into it with WB over thoe same people. 

Snyder does not come off well, and basically acted like John Galt would under similar circumstances.

Interesting indeed. I'm not surprised to read that Snyder isn't a good person, nor that social media is toxic. What did surprise me throughout is just how spineless Warner Bross' executives were. 

Oh and Fisher also doesn't come out good. He better hope that Rebel Moon is a hit, because if its another Army of the Dead we'll probably all die of boredom.

I did not know Fisher was cast in this Rebel Moon thing, which I also didn't realize was supposed to be a two-parter because, well, of course he is, and of course it is.

I will say that Snyder seems to get along well with people who are his collaborators or who work under him. But like any good Objectivist, this article shows that he possibly harbors contempt for those who hold the purse strings and try to control "his" work (that they are funding). Everything is fine when they are not in his way and are praising him, but then...

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Oh and Fisher also doesn't come out good. He better hope that Rebel Moon is a hit, because if its another Army of the Dead we'll probably all die of boredom.

Worth noting though that everything said against Fisher in that article is pure hearsay from unnamed insiders who probably have an interest in making WB not look bad. While it's not great for his allegations of racism that the independent report found no grounds for it and afaik the people concerned haven't had other accusations against them, his accusations against Whedon have been, if not proven directly true, corroborated by many further accounts both off that set and down the years, so it's also a dangerous game to just go with the narrative that he just made it all up to help Snyder, without further information on that. There's a lot of he said she said here.

No one said he made it all up. The article notes that he called out Johns and Berg only after Snyder demanded they drop their credits, and that he only targetted Hamada after Snyder had it out with him as well. The timing of his pivots in relation to what was going on behind the scenes with Snyder, and then the without-further-comment note that he has a role in Snyder's next project, is what is suspect.

22 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

the end-result wasn't even really good.

That's putting it mildly.

Jason Kilar's alleged nonchalance suggests he had that tech industry "disruption" idea in his head and was willing to play along with Snyder given what seemed like an enormous swell of interest. He may even have realized it was being orchestrated to some degree and was not all that organic, but the attention it garnered in the media was enough to go ahead with it.

Ah, yes the anonymous "DC Warner Bros. inside source" again. Is this the same one who said:

The film would never ever be released? (media outlets were reporting this just a few months before the announcement)

Ben Affleck wouldn't return as Batman?

No additional footage would be shot for ZSJL (eg. the entire epilogue of the film)?

That Keirsey Clemons was removed from 2017 JL by Snyder and not by Whedon?

And would someone please tell me when Jason Momoa's Frosty the Snowman film is being released? The article doesn't mention it. Totally a coincidence that this comes out in the same day as the ZSJL digital release BTW. 

A couple of comments:

Regarding the precipitous drop in the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut hashtag after the announcement. The reason it dropped was because it makes no sense to use the hashtag after the announcement was made. After the announcement, people stopped tweeting that and immediately started tweeting #thesnydercut, #zacksnydersjusticeleague, #zsjl and the like. All of which trended and none of which are mentioned in the article. 

Regarding forsnydercut.com, Fiona Zheng doesn't "purport to be from China", she is a fan from China. She appeared at DC fandome in 2020. Maybe she was a robot. I don't know. 

Regarding Martian Manhunter; That's hilarious. "Future plans"? DC has announced about a dozen projects in the last 10 years that never came to be but this is the first I've heard of any plans for a cinematic Martian Manhunter. They told Snyder to remove Green Lantern from ZSJL because of "future plans" and, to my knowledge, they haven't shot a single frame of film for Green Lantern Corps; more than two years since the Snyder cut announcement. 

The article mentions another article from the wrap about bots and the Oscars fan favorite award. This article came about a week or two after another article appeared in the wrap about measures the academy was taking to prevent cyber fuckery from influencing the vote. Also, who even cares? This was obviously a cynical attempt make the Oscars more relevant to millennials by giving an MCU film some kind of award and it didn't work. Whatever. 

Finally, and this is starting to piss me off, the specter of Ray Fischer's accusations being a put-on at the behest of Snyder. I have never heard Snyder ever say an unkind word about Whedon or any other CBM director. Even when he was asked about the JL reshoots, he could have come down hard on Whedon but his response was muted. I have also heard plenty of praise from people who've worked with him that his sets are enjoyable places to be and he treats everyone with respect.  I gotta wonder why Gal Gadot or any of the other people who've spoken about Whedon's behavior aren't getting this nonsense.

Ray Fisher "Declining to comment" is also a bit fishy. He received an email on Sunday night (24 hours before publication) and was asked to respond by 6:00PM Monday (yesterday). The next day he receives an email at 5:12 saying the deadline had passed. I don't know what to make of that. Maybe wires got crossed with a time difference or something. But does it make sense to contact the person, with no power to stop the article from being published, not knowing their schedule or what they're doing or if they even check their email outside of business hours, for a comment right before you're going to publish?  

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

For what it's worth I skimmed most of that article, but I read all of your post. I think I watched Justice League. 

:D

Everything in that article is either an anonymous source, innuendo or, "this sure looks weird huh?" She literally compares Snyder to Lex Luthor, which only proves to me that CBM's pop culture hedgemony has truly jumped the shark. It's clearly rotting some peoples brains.

Also, If Snyder was able to sucker WB executives into spending millions of dollars because of something that is so obviously a machine campaign:

a) Zaslav needs to fire every singe one of these fucking idiots, Right. Now. Even if they were merely in the room while the project was being discussed, broom their worthless asses, tout suite.  Anything less would be stealing from your shareholders. Also WW84 was shit. 

b) Snyder should be running that studio. Would you rather have Lex Luthor working for you or against you? C'mon. 

9 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

:D

Everything in that article is either an anonymous source, innuendo or, "this sure looks weird huh?" She literally compares Snyder to Lex Luthor, which only proves to me that CBM's pop culture hedgemony has truly jumped the shark. It's clearly rotting some peoples brains.

Also, If Snyder was able to sucker WB executives into spending millions of dollars because of something that is so obviously a machine campaign:

a) Zaslav needs to fire every singe one of these fucking idiots, Right. Now. Even if they were merely in the room while the project was being discussed, broom their worthless asses, tout suite.  Anything less would be stealing from your shareholders. Also WW84 was shit. 

b) Snyder should be running that studio. Would you rather have Lex Luthor working for you or against you? C'mon. 

You should probably check out Westworld. It seems to me you've bounced hard off reality. 

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Maybe she was a robot.

That's not the implication of the story. The implication of the story is that Zheng was a hired marketer who pretended to be a superfan who then stopped promoting the thing they were hired to promote once it no longer needed promotion.

Fisher's tweet is text-book Twitter behavior from him. I'm pretty sure there would be  emails he left out noting that 5PM, not 6PM, was the correct deadline (given that Siegel notes that the shared message was the last of several attempts to hear back) the writer had to submit their story for publication. Furthermore, her last e-mail that Fisher shared was past 5PM, said she needed something "soon", and so if he had had any intention to respond by 6PM, he could have said so and it looks like it would have been something they could have squeezed in.

He clearly had no intention to comment and now has tried to smear Rolling Stone to distract from the fact that he wasn't going to do so. 

Tatiana Siegel is an award-winning journalist, by the by.

ETA: Also, having been interviewed by a similarly-prestigious outlet before, a 24 hour response time for comment is quite normal. They have deadlines and the work of getting an investigative report like this up to snuff is extensive and time-consuming.

Archived